Universty of Texas Southwestern Medical Center , Dallas, TX 01/2009 – Present
- development of the original technique of mechanical immobilization of suspended isolated cultured skeletal myofibers and recording of the myofiber membrane potentials;
- biophysical characterization of the skeletal muscle disease model mutant Na+ channels NaV1.4;
- development of the original microfluidic perfusion technique for high-performance cut-open oocyte voltage clamp recordings;
- single-channel current recordings from the endoplasmic reticulum ionic channels incorporated in the planar lipid bilayer membranes (Dept. Physiology);
- discovery of the membrane ionic channel-forming properties of the C-terminus of the Bax Inhibitor-1 protein (bilayer-incorporated; Dept. Physiology).
Research Fellow, Molecular Physiology and Therapeutics Branch
National Institutes of Health / NIDCR, Bethesda, MD 07/2010 – 09/2012
- biophysical and pharmacological characterization of the intracellular endosomal/lysosomal cationic channels TPC1 incorporated in lipid bilayers;
- development of the original electrical recording technique from lipid bilayer membranes, with enhanced cis and trans chamber perfusion capabilities;
- Ussing chamber electrical recordings from the epithelial cell monolayers on solid supports.
Research Assistant Professor, Pharmacology and Neuroscience
University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX 01/2004 – 12/2008
- discovery of the protein-protein regulation of the intracellular Ca2+ release ryanodine receptors (RyR) by presenilin protein N-terminus;
- discovery of the modulation of the RyR by estrogen receptor beta;
- electrophysiological recordings of the ionic currents produced by the ionic channels and by a single nuclear pore in mammalian cell nuclei using a nuclear envelope-attached patch-pipette.
Research Associate, Department of Surgery
Yale University School of Medicine , New Haven, CT 11/2000 – 01/2004
- discovery of a novel mechano-sensitive ion conductance in the baso-lateral membrane of the mammalian outer hair cells (OHC);
- discovery of the allosteric modulation of the OHC membrane motor protein prestin by multivalent anions and organic anions;
- recordings of the ultra-fast voltage-dependent motility and of a non-linear (“active”) membrane capacitance responses generated by the mammalian OHCs.
Instructor in Electrophysiology, Biology Department
University of Science and Technology - Lille 1, Lille, France 04/1999 – 07/2000
- discovery of the allosteric inhibition of the outwardly rectifying K+ channels by verapamil and by related phenylalkylamines in human prostate cancer LNCaP cell line;
- development of the equilibrium model of the ion channel double-inhibition by two channel blockers;
- development of the custom image-analysis software for the semi-automatic tracing of the coordinates of the migrating cells in the long-term cell cultures.
Louis Pasteur University, Institute of Physiology and Biological Chemistry, Strasbourg, France 03/1994 – 03/1999
- discovery of the low- and high-affinity activation of the AMPA(glut) receptors in spinal neurons;
- discovery of the multimodal GABA-A receptor activation by anxiolytic etifoxine in spinal neurons;
- patch-clamp recordings of the ACh, 5-HT3 and TRPV1 receptor-mediated currents in dorsal root ganglion (DRG) neurons;
- patch-clamp study of the modulation of the K+ and Ca2+ channels in dorsal root ganglion neurons by the substance P ;
- development of the computer-operated mini-robotic version of the “concentration clamp” technique for ultra-fast application of the drugs to the isolated cells (15-20 compounds per cell).
Jr Research Scientist, Department of Biomedical Research
National Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry and Petrochemistry, Kiev, Ukraine 10/1987 – 02/1994
- patch-clamp study of the pharmacological properties of the structural molecule analogs of the glutamate/AMPA-receptor blocker APB;
- patch-clamp study of the kinetics properties of the AMPA(glut) receptors in the hippocampal neurons;
- development of the microfluidic pulsing jet for the high frequency (20 Hz) short term (5-10 ms) application of ligands to the isolated suspended patch-clamped neurons during electrical recordings.
National Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev, Ukraine 07/1984 – 09/1987
- U-tube patch-clamp study of the ion selectivity of the voltage-gated K+ channels in snail neurons;
- U-tube patch-clamp study of the temperature-depended conformations in K+ channels;
- biophysical modeling of the free-energy profile of the K+ channel voltage sensor transitions;
- development of the voltage/current clamp switch amplifier;
- development and fabrication of the custom precision micro-mechanics equipment for the electrophysiological patch-clamp recordings.
- Graduate School
- Moscow Inst of Phys & Tech-Rus (1984), Physics Engineering
- Graduate School
- Moscow Inst of Phys & Tech-Rus (1994), Biological Sciences
- Graduate School
- (2017), Biology
- The C terminus of Bax inhibitor-1 forms a Ca2+-permeable channel pore.
- Bultynck G, Kiviluoto S, Henke N, Ivanova H, Schneider L, Rybalchenko V, Luyten T, Nuyts K, De Borggraeve W, Bezprozvanny I, Parys JB, De Smedt H, Missiaen L, Methner A J. Biol. Chem. 2012 Jan 287 4 2544-57
- Polycystin-2 expression and function in adult mouse lacrimal acinar cells.
- Kaja S, Hilgenberg JD, Rybalchenko V, Medina-Ortiz WE, Gregg EV, Koulen P Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2011 Jul 52 8 5605-11
- The unliganded long isoform of estrogen receptor beta stimulates brain ryanodine receptor single channel activity alongside with cytosolic Ca2+.
- Rybalchenko V, Grillo MA, Gastinger MJ, Rybalchenko N, Payne AJ, Koulen P J. Recept. Signal Transduct. Res. 2009 Dec 29 6 326-41
- On the temperature and tension dependence of the outer hair cell lateral membrane conductance GmetL and its relation to prestin.
- Santos-Sacchi J, Rybalchenko V, Bai JP, Song L, Navaratnam D Pflugers Arch. 2006 Jun 452 3 283-9
- Functional high- and low affinity agonist binding sites at native dorsal horn AMPA receptors.
- Rybalchenko V, Schlichter R Neuroreport 1999 Jun 10 8 1803-6
Honors & Awards
- Intramural Seed Research Grant
University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth, TX (2006)
- Postdoctoral Research Service Fellowship
Eli Lilly Institute of France, Strasbourg, France (1996-1999)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Foundation for Medical Research of France (1995)
- International Postdoctoral Trainee Fellowship
National Ministry of Education, Research and Technology of France (1994)
- Engineering and Business in Canada, Canada/Ukraine Government Exchange Program
Ministry of Cultural and Scientific Affairs of Canada (1993)