Dr. Bloom is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. A 1990 graduate of Southwestern Medical School, he is proud and humbled to follow in the footsteps of his distinguished predecessors and lead the department which owes so much to them.
Born in California, Dr. Bloom received his bachelor of arts degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1985. After graduating from medical school, he completed his internship and residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Parkland Memorial Hospital and then pursued a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology here. In 1995, he was awarded the Jack and Signe Pritchard Fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
Following the path of mentors like Drs. Paul MacDonald, Norman Gant, F. Gary Cunningham, and Kenneth Leveno, Dr. Bloom joined the faculty at UT Southwestern following his fellowship. He credits these faculty members, as well as Dr. Jack Pritchard (chairman 1955-1960), with influencing his decision to specialize in maternal-fetal medicine.
Dr. Bloom is board certified both in obstetrics and gynecology and in maternal-fetal medicine. He is an established clinical investigator and has served as co-investigator on several of the studies conducted by the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Units Network of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. A specialist in high-risk pregnancy, he has published widely on such topics as the recurrence of preterm birth, intrapartum management, and the complications of anesthesia for cesarean delivery. He is also an author of Williams Obstetrics – the leading textbook on obstetrics.
He is married and has two children.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1990)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Hospitalization for women with arrested preterm labor: a randomized trial.
- Yost NP, Bloom SL, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 2005 Jul 106 1 14-8
- A randomized trial of the effects of coached vs uncoached maternal pushing during the second stage of labor on postpartum pelvic floor structure and function.
- Schaffer JI, Bloom SL, Casey BM, McIntire DD, Nihira MA, Leveno KJ Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2005 May 192 5 1692-6
- Obstetric antecedents for postpartum pelvic floor dysfunction.
- Casey BM, Schaffer JI, Bloom SL, Heartwell SF, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2005 May 192 5 1655-62
- A hospital-sponsored quality improvement study of pain management after cesarean delivery.
- Yost NP, Bloom SL, Sibley MK, Lo JY, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2004 May 190 5 1341-6
- Corticosteroid use in special circumstances: preterm ruptured membranes, hypertension, fetal growth restriction, multiple fetuses.
- Bloom SL, Leveno KJ Clin Obstet Gynecol 2003 Mar 46 1 150-60
- Cesarean delivery: a randomized trial of epidural analgesia versus intravenous meperidine analgesia during labor in nulliparous women.
- Sharma SK, Alexander JM, Messick G, Bloom SL, McIntire DD, Wiley J, Leveno KJ Anesthesiology 2002 Mar 96 3 546-51
- Recurrence of preterm birth in singleton and twin pregnancies.
- Bloom SL, Yost NP, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 2001 Sep 98 3 379-85
- Antenatal dexamethasone and decreased birth weight.
- Bloom SL, Sheffield JS, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 2001 Apr 97 4 485-90
- Birth weight in relation to morbidity and mortality among newborn infants.
- McIntire DD, Bloom SL, Casey BM, Leveno KJ N. Engl. J. Med. 1999 Apr 340 16 1234-8
- Pitfalls in ultrasonic cervical length measurement for predicting preterm birth.
- Yost NP, Bloom SL, Twickler DM, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 1999 Apr 93 4 510-6
Williams Obstetrics, 25th Edition
Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS, Hoffman BL, Casey BM, Spong CY (Ed.) (2018). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Williams Obstetrics, 24th edition
F. Gary Cunningham, Kenneth J. Leveno, Steven L. Bloom, Catherine Y. Spong, Jodi S. Dashe, Barbara L. Hoffman, Brian M. Casey, Jeanne S. Sheffield (2014). New York, McGraw Hill Education/Medical. NLM ID: 101626979 (2014). New York, McGraw Hill Education/Medical
Honors & Awards
- Research Excellence Award
Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (2006)
- Distinguished Physician Award
Parkland Health & Hospital System (2005)
- Jack A. & Signe Pritchard Fellow
Award in Maternal-Fetal Medicine (1995)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (2008)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Texas Medical Association