Dr. Bloom is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. A 1990 graduate of Southwestern Medical School, he is proud and humbled to follow in the footsteps of his distinguished predecessors and lead the department which owes so much to them.
Born in California, Dr. Bloom received his bachelor of arts degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1985. After graduating from medical school, he completed his internship and residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Parkland Memorial Hospital and then pursued a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology here. In 1995, he was awarded the Jack and Signe Pritchard Fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
Following the path of mentors like Drs. Paul MacDonald, Norman Gant, F. Gary Cunningham, and Kenneth Leveno, Dr. Bloom joined the faculty at UT Southwestern following his fellowship. He credits these faculty members, as well as Dr. Jack Pritchard (chairman 1955-1960), with influencing his decision to specialize in maternal-fetal medicine.
Dr. Bloom is board certified both in obstetrics and gynecology and in maternal-fetal medicine. He is an established clinical investigator and has served as co-investigator on several of the studies conducted by the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Units Network of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. A specialist in high-risk pregnancy, he has published widely on such topics as the recurrence of preterm birth, intrapartum management, and the complications of anesthesia for cesarean delivery. He is also an author of Williams Obstetrics – the leading textbook on obstetrics.
He is married and has two children.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1990)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Decreased preterm births in an inner-city public hospital.
- Leveno KJ, McIntire DD, Bloom SL, Sibley MR, Anderson RJ Obstet Gynecol 2009 Mar 113 3 578-84
- Williams Manual of Obstetrics - Pregnancy Complications
- Leveno KJ, Cunningham FG, Alexander JM, Bloom SL, Casey BM, Dashe JS, Roberts S, Sheffield JS McGraw-Hill 2007 2nd edition
- Fetal pulse oximetry and cesarean delivery.
- Bloom SL, Spong CY, Thom E, Varner MW, Rouse DJ, Weininger S, Ramin SM, Caritis SN, Peaceman A, Sorokin Y, Sciscione A, Carpenter M, Mercer B, Thorp J, Malone F, Harper M, Iams J, Anderson G N. Engl. J. Med. 2006 Nov 355 21 2195-202
- Decision-to-incision times and maternal and infant outcomes.
- Bloom SL, Leveno KJ, Spong CY, Gilbert S, Hauth JC, Landon MB, Varner MW, Moawad AH, Caritis SN, Harper M, Wapner RJ, Sorokin Y, Miodovnik M, O'sullivan MJ, Sibai BM, Langer O, Gabbe SG Obstet Gynecol 2006 Jul 108 1 6-11
- Risk of uterine rupture with a trial of labor in women with multiple and single prior cesarean delivery.
- Landon MB, Spong CY, Thom E, Hauth JC, Bloom SL, Varner MW, Moawad AH, Caritis SN, Harper M, Wapner RJ, Sorokin Y, Miodovnik M, Carpenter M, Peaceman AM, O'sullivan MJ, Sibai BM, Langer O, Thorp JM, Ramin SM, Mercer BM, Gabbe SG Obstet Gynecol 2006 Jul 108 1 12-20
- A randomized trial of coached versus uncoached maternal pushing during the second stage of labor.
- Bloom SL, Casey BM, Schaffer JI, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2006 Jan 194 1 10-3
- The MFMU Cesarean Registry: factors affecting the success of trial of labor after previous cesarean delivery.
- Landon MB, Leindecker S, Spong CY, Hauth JC, Bloom S, Varner MW, Moawad AH, Caritis SN, Harper M, Wapner RJ, Sorokin Y, Miodovnik M, Carpenter M, Peaceman AM, O'Sullivan MJ, Sibai BM, Langer O, Thorp JM, Ramin SM, Mercer BM, Gabbe SG Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2005 Sep 193 3 Pt 2 1016-23
- The MFMU Cesarean Registry: uterine atony after primary cesarean delivery.
- Rouse DJ, Leindecker S, Landon M, Bloom SL, Varner MW, Moawad AH, Spong CY, Caritis SN, Harper M, Wapner RJ, Sorokin Y, Miodovnik M, O'Sullivan MJ, Sibai BM, Langer O Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2005 Sep 193 3 Pt 2 1056-60
- Complications of anesthesia for cesarean delivery.
- Bloom SL, Spong CY, Weiner SJ, Landon MB, Rouse DJ, Varner MW, Moawad AH, Caritis SN, Harper M, Wapner RJ, Sorokin Y, Miodovnik M, O'Sullivan MJ, Sibai B, Langer O, Gabbe SG Obstet Gynecol 2005 Aug 106 2 281-7
- A prospective observational study of domestic violence during pregnancy.
- Yost NP, Bloom SL, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 2005 Jul 106 1 61-5
Williams Obstetrics, 25th Edition
Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS, Hoffman BL, Casey BM, Spong CY (Ed.) (2018). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Williams Obstetrics, 24th edition
F. Gary Cunningham, Kenneth J. Leveno, Steven L. Bloom, Catherine Y. Spong, Jodi S. Dashe, Barbara L. Hoffman, Brian M. Casey, Jeanne S. Sheffield (2014). New York, McGraw Hill Education/Medical. NLM ID: 101626979 (2014). New York, McGraw Hill Education/Medical
Honors & Awards
- Research Excellence Award
Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (2006)
- Distinguished Physician Award
Parkland Health & Hospital System (2005)
- Jack A. & Signe Pritchard Fellow
Award in Maternal-Fetal Medicine (1995)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (2008)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Texas Medical Association