Dr. Bloom is a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Associate Dean for Clinical Sciences. He was Chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology for 16 years. Named Interim Chair effective 1 January 2005, he served as Chair from July 25, 2006 through August 31, 2021. A 1990 graduate of Southwestern Medical School, he was proud and humbled to follow in the footsteps of his distinguished predecessors and lead the department which owes so much to them.
Born in California, Dr. Bloom received his bachelor of arts degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1985. After graduating from medical school, he completed his internship and residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Parkland Memorial Hospital and then pursued a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology here. In 1995, he was awarded the Jack and Signe Pritchard Fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
Following the path of mentors like Drs. Paul MacDonald, Norman Gant, F. Gary Cunningham, and Kenneth Leveno, Dr. Bloom joined the faculty at UT Southwestern following his fellowship. He credits these faculty members, as well as Dr. Jack Pritchard (chairman 1955-1970), with influencing his decision to specialize in maternal-fetal medicine.
Dr. Bloom is board certified both in obstetrics and gynecology and in maternal-fetal medicine. He is an established clinical investigator and has served as co-investigator on several of the studies conducted by the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Units Network of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. A specialist in high-risk pregnancy, he has published widely on such topics as the recurrence of preterm birth, intrapartum management, and the complications of anesthesia for cesarean delivery. He has been an author of Williams Obstetrics – the leading textbook on obstetrics.
He is married and has two children.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1990)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Severe preeclampsia and the very low birth weight infant: is induction of labor harmful?
- Alexander JM, Bloom SL, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 1999 Apr 93 4 485-8
- Lack of effect of walking on labor and delivery.
- Bloom SL, McIntire DD, Kelly MA, Beimer HL, Burpo RH, Garcia MA, Leveno KJ N. Engl. J. Med. 1998 Jul 339 2 76-9
Williams Obstetrics, 25th Edition
Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS, Hoffman BL, Casey BM, Spong CY (Ed.) (2018). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Williams Obstetrics, 24th edition
F. Gary Cunningham, Kenneth J. Leveno, Steven L. Bloom, Catherine Y. Spong, Jodi S. Dashe, Barbara L. Hoffman, Brian M. Casey, Jeanne S. Sheffield (2014). New York, McGraw Hill Education/Medical. NLM ID: 101626979 (2014). New York, McGraw Hill Education/Medical
Honors & Awards
- Research Excellence Award
Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (2006)
- Distinguished Physician Award
Parkland Health & Hospital System (2005)
- Jack A. & Signe Pritchard Fellow
Award in Maternal-Fetal Medicine (1995)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (2008)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Texas Medical Association