Dr. Bloom is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. A 1990 graduate of Southwestern Medical School, he is proud and humbled to follow in the footsteps of his distinguished predecessors and lead the department which owes so much to them.
Born in California, Dr. Bloom received his bachelor of arts degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1985. After graduating from medical school, he completed his internship and residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Parkland Memorial Hospital and then pursued a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology here. In 1995, he was awarded the Jack and Signe Pritchard Fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
Following the path of mentors like Drs. Paul MacDonald, Norman Gant, F. Gary Cunningham, and Kenneth Leveno, Dr. Bloom joined the faculty at UT Southwestern following his fellowship. He credits these faculty members, as well as Dr. Jack Pritchard (chairman 1955-1960), with influencing his decision to specialize in maternal-fetal medicine.
Dr. Bloom is board certified both in obstetrics and gynecology and in maternal-fetal medicine. He is an established clinical investigator and has served as co-investigator on several of the studies conducted by the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Units Network of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. A specialist in high-risk pregnancy, he has published widely on such topics as the recurrence of preterm birth, intrapartum management, and the complications of anesthesia for cesarean delivery. He is also an author of Williams Obstetrics – the leading textbook on obstetrics.
He is married and has two children.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1990)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Population versus Customized Fetal Growth Norms and Adverse Outcomes in an Intrapartum Cohort.
- Costantine MM, Lai Y, Bloom SL, Spong CY, Varner MW, Rouse DJ, Ramin SM, Caritis SN, Peaceman AM, Sorokin Y, Sciscione A, Mercer BM, Thorp JM, Malone FD, Harper M, Iams JD Am J Perinatol 2012 Aug
- Relationship between Fetal Station and Successful Vaginal Delivery in Nulliparous Women.
- Segel SY, Carreño CA, Weiner SJ, Bloom SL, Spong CY, Varner MW, Rouse DJ, Caritis SN, Grobman WA, Sorokin Y, Sciscione A, Mercer BM, Thorp JM, Malone FD, Harper M, Iams JD American journal of perinatology 2012 May
- Timing of delivery and pregnancy outcomes among laboring nulliparous women.
- Tita AT, Lai Y, Bloom SL, Spong CY, Varner MW, Ramin SM, Caritis SN, Grobman WA, Sorokin Y, Sciscione A, Carpenter MW, Mercer BM, Thorp JM, Malone FD, Harper M, Iams JD Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2012 Mar 206 3 239.e1-8
- Increasing maternal body mass index and characteristics of the second stage of labor.
- Robinson BK, Mapp DC, Bloom SL, Rouse DJ, Spong CY, Varner MW, Ramin SM, Sorokin Y, Sciscione A, Mercer BM, Thorp JM, Malone FD, Harper M, Ehrenberg H Obstet Gynecol 2011 Dec 118 6 1309-13
- The diagnosis and natural history of false preterm labor.
- Chao TT, Bloom SL, Mitchell JS, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 2011 Dec 118 6 1301-8
- Urodynamic indices and pelvic organ prolapse quantification 3 months after vaginal delivery in primiparous women.
- Wai CY, McIntire DD, Atnip SD, Schaffer JI, Bloom SL, Leveno KJ International urogynecology journal and pelvic floor dysfunction 2011 May 1293-8
- Failed labor induction: toward an objective diagnosis.
- Rouse DJ, Weiner SJ, Bloom SL, Varner MW, Spong CY, Ramin SM, Caritis SN, Grobman WA, Sorokin Y, Sciscione A, Carpenter MW, Mercer BM, Thorp JM, Malone FD, Harper M, Iams JD, Anderson GD Obstet Gynecol 2011 Feb 117 2 Pt 1 267-72
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 32-2010. A pregnant woman with abdominal pain and fluid in the peritoneal cavity.
- Bloom SL, Uppot R, Roberts DJ N. Engl. J. Med. 2010 Oct 363 17 1657-65
- Neonatal outcomes and operative vaginal delivery versus cesarean delivery.
- Contag SA, Clifton RG, Bloom SL, Spong CY, Varner MW, Rouse DJ, Ramin SM, Caritis SN, Peaceman AM, Sorokin Y, Sciscione A, Carpenter MW, Mercer BM, Thorp JM, Malone FD, Iams JD Am J Perinatol 2010 Jun 27 6 493-9
- Second-stage labor duration in nulliparous women: relationship to maternal and perinatal outcomes.
- Rouse DJ, Weiner SJ, Bloom SL, Varner MW, Spong CY, Ramin SM, Caritis SN, Peaceman AM, Sorokin Y, Sciscione A, Carpenter MW, Mercer BM, Thorp JM, Malone FD, Harper M, Iams JD, Anderson GD Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2009 Oct 201 4 357.e1-7
Williams Obstetrics, 25th Edition
Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS, Hoffman BL, Casey BM, Spong CY (Ed.) (2018). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Williams Obstetrics, 24th edition
F. Gary Cunningham, Kenneth J. Leveno, Steven L. Bloom, Catherine Y. Spong, Jodi S. Dashe, Barbara L. Hoffman, Brian M. Casey, Jeanne S. Sheffield (2014). New York, McGraw Hill Education/Medical. NLM ID: 101626979 (2014). New York, McGraw Hill Education/Medical
Honors & Awards
- Research Excellence Award
Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (2006)
- Distinguished Physician Award
Parkland Health & Hospital System (2005)
- Jack A. & Signe Pritchard Fellow
Award in Maternal-Fetal Medicine (1995)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (2008)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Texas Medical Association