Vikram Jakkamsetti is an Instructor in the Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He works in Dr. Juan Pascual’s lab with a primary goal of exploring mechanistic links between energy metabolism and neuronal electrophysiology, for providing insights relevant to correcting seizures and intellectual disability in related pediatric encephalopathies. He also collaborates with lab colleagues on projects aiming to find the molecular, synaptic and neurophysiological underpinnings of rodent behavior impacted by mutations.
Vikram earned his medical degree (MBBS) and completed a residency in Internal Medicine (MD) at South Gujarat University in India. He then received an MS (Applied Cognition and Neuroscience) and a PhD (Cognition and Neuroscience) degree at The University of Texas at Dallas. During his PhD training in Dr. Michael Kilgard’s lab, he examined the impact of behavioral experience and pharmacology in inducing experience-dependent reorganization of cerebral cortex maps in rodent auditory cortex.
For postdoctoral training at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dr. Kimberly Huber’s Lab, he studied how a brief novel experience primes only activated hippocampus neurons for subsequent synaptic plasticity, before moving to Dr. Juan Pascual’s lab.
- South Gujarat University (1998), Medicine
- Medical School
- South Gujarat University (2002), Internal Medicine
- Graduate School
- University of Texas at Dallas (2008), Neuroscience
- Behavioral Learning and Synaptic Plasticity
- Energy Metabolism and Epilepsy
- Machine Learning Applications in Neuroscience/Neurology
- Systems/Cellular/Synaptic Neurophysiology
- Translational Neuroscience
- A subset of synaptic transmission events is coupled to acetyl coenzyme A production.
- Jakkamsetti V, Ma Q, Pascual JM, J Neurophysiol 2022 Jan
- Mitochondrial disease manifestations in relation to transcriptome location and function.
- Jakkamsetti V, Balasubramaniam S, Grover N, Pascual JM, Mol Genet Metab 2021 Dec
- Quantification of early learning and movement sub-structure predictive of motor performance.
- Jakkamsetti V, Scudder W, Kathote G, Ma Q, Angulo G, Dobariya A, Rosenberg RN, Beutler B, Pascual JM, Sci Rep 2021 Jul 11 1 14405
- Brain metabolism modulates neuronal excitability in a mouse model of pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency.
- Jakkamsetti V, Marin-Valencia I, Ma Q, Good LB, Terrill T, Rajasekaran K, Pichumani K, Khemtong C, Hooshyar MA, Sundarrajan C, Patel MS, Bachoo RM, Malloy CR, Pascual JM Sci Transl Med 2019 Feb 11 480
- Experience-induced Arc/Arg3.1 primes CA1 pyramidal neurons for metabotropic glutamate receptor-dependent long-term synaptic depression.
- Jakkamsetti V, Tsai NP, Gross C, Molinaro G, Collins KA, Nicoletti F, Wang KH, Osten P, Bassell GJ, Gibson JR, Huber KM Neuron 2013 Oct 80 1 72-9
- Red blood cells as glucose carriers to the human brain: modulation of cerebral activity by erythrocyte exchange transfusion in Glut1 deficiency (G1D) (In Press)
- Richard C. Wang, Eunice E. Lee, Nicole De Simone, Gauri Kathote, Sharon Primeaux, Adrian Avila, Dong-Min Yu, Mark Johnson, Levi B. Good, Vikram Jakkamsetti, Ravi Sarode, Alice Ann Holland, Juan M. Pascual Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism 2022 Nov
- Metabolic modulation of synaptic failure and thalamocortical hypersynchronization with preserved consciousness in Glut1 deficiency.
- Rajasekaran K, Ma Q, Good LB, Kathote G, Jakkamsetti V, Liu P, Avila A, Primeaux S, Enciso Alva J, Markussen KH, Marin-Valencia I, Sirsi D, Hacker PMS, Gentry MS, Su J, Lu H, Pascual JM, Sci Transl Med 2022 Oct 14 665 eabn2956
- Recording of pig neuronal activity in the comparative context of the awake human brain.
- Dobariya A, El Ahmadieh TY, Good LB, Hernandez-Reynoso AG, Jakkamsetti V, Brown R, Dunbar M, Ding K, Luna J, Kallem RR, Putnam WC, Shelton JM, Evers BM, Azami A, Geramifard N, Cogan SF, Mickey B, Pascual JM, Sci Rep 2022 Sep 12 1 15503
- Increased glycine contributes to synaptic dysfunction and early mortality in Nprl2 seizure model.
- Dentel B, Angeles-Perez L, Ren C, Jakkamsetti V, Holley AJ, Caballero D, Oh E, Gibson J, Pascual JM, Huber KM, Tu BP, Tsai PT, iScience 2022 May 25 5 104334
- Altered cerebellar connectivity in autism and cerebellar-mediated rescue of autism-related behaviors in mice.
- Stoodley CJ, D'Mello AM, Ellegood J, Jakkamsetti V, Liu P, Nebel MB, Gibson JM, Kelly E, Meng F, Cano CA, Pascual JM, Mostofsky SH, Lerch JP, Tsai PT Nat. Neurosci. 2017 Dec 20 12 1744-1751
Auditory Environment, Stress, and Brain Plasticity. In The Neurobiology of Stress: an Evolutionary Approach
Nichols JA, Bose M, Jakkamsetti VP, Kilgard MP, Atzori M. (2007). Research Signpost
Pyruvate Dehydrogenase, Pyruvate Carboxylase,Krebs Cycle and Mitochondrial Transport Disorders. In Rosenberg's Molecular and Genetic Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disease, 6th Edition, Volume 1
Jakkamsetti V, Marin-Valencia I, Ma Q, Pascual JM (2020). Elsevier
- Society for Neuroscience (2004)
- Association of Physicians of Gujarat (2002)