Vikram Jakkamsetti is an Instructor in the Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He works in Dr. Juan Pascual’s lab with a primary goal of exploring mechanistic links between energy metabolism and neuronal electrophysiology, for providing insights relevant to correcting seizures and intellectual disability in related pediatric encephalopathies. He also collaborates with lab colleagues on projects aiming to find the molecular, synaptic and neurophysiological underpinnings of rodent behavior impacted by mutations.
Vikram earned his medical degree (MBBS) and completed a residency in Internal Medicine (MD) at South Gujarat University in India. He then received an MS (Applied Cognition and Neuroscience) and a PhD (Cognition and Neuroscience) degree at The University of Texas at Dallas. During his PhD training in Dr. Michael Kilgard’s lab, he examined the impact of behavioral experience and pharmacology in inducing experience-dependent reorganization of cerebral cortex maps in rodent auditory cortex.
For postdoctoral training at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dr. Kimberly Huber’s Lab, he studied how a brief novel experience primes only activated hippocampus neurons for subsequent synaptic plasticity, before moving to Dr. Juan Pascual’s lab.
- South Gujarat University (1998), Medicine
- Medical School
- South Gujarat University (2002), Internal Medicine
- Graduate School
- University of Texas at Dallas (2008), Neuroscience
- Behavioral Learning and Synaptic Plasticity
- Energy Metabolism and Epilepsy
- Machine Learning Applications in Neuroscience/Neurology
- Systems/Cellular/Synaptic Neurophysiology
- Translational Neuroscience
- Genetic influences on motor learning and superperformance mutants revealed by random mutational survey of mouse locomotion.
- Jakkamsetti V, Ma Q, Angulo G, Scudder W, Beutler B, Pascual JM, bioRxiv 2023 Jun
- Isolation of the murine Glut1 deficient thalamocortical circuit: wavelet characterization and reverse glucose dependence of low and gamma frequency oscillations
- Elysandra M. Solis, Levi B. Good, Rafael Granja Vázquez, Sourav Patnaik, Ana G. Hernandez-Reynoso, Qian Ma, Gustavo Angulo, Aksharkumar Dobariya, Stuart F. Cogan, Joseph J. Pancrazio, Juan M. Pascual, Vikram Jakkamsetti Biorxiv 2023
- Mitochondrial disease manifestations in relation to transcriptome location and function.
- Jakkamsetti V, Balasubramaniam S, Grover N, Pascual JM, Mol Genet Metab 2021 Dec
- Quantification of early learning and movement sub-structure predictive of motor performance.
- Jakkamsetti V, Scudder W, Kathote G, Ma Q, Angulo G, Dobariya A, Rosenberg RN, Beutler B, Pascual JM, Sci Rep 2021 Jul 11 1 14405
- Brain metabolism modulates neuronal excitability in a mouse model of pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency.
- Jakkamsetti V, Marin-Valencia I, Ma Q, Good LB, Terrill T, Rajasekaran K, Pichumani K, Khemtong C, Hooshyar MA, Sundarrajan C, Patel MS, Bachoo RM, Malloy CR, Pascual JM Sci Transl Med 2019 Feb 11 480
- Experience-induced Arc/Arg3.1 primes CA1 pyramidal neurons for metabotropic glutamate receptor-dependent long-term synaptic depression.
- Jakkamsetti V, Tsai NP, Gross C, Molinaro G, Collins KA, Nicoletti F, Wang KH, Osten P, Bassell GJ, Gibson JR, Huber KM Neuron 2013 Oct 80 1 72-9
- Combination of triheptanoin with the ketogenic diet in Glucose transporter type 1 deficiency (G1D).
- Avila A, Málaga I, Sirsi D, Kayani S, Primeaux S, Kathote GA, Jakkamsetti V, Kallem RR, Putnam WC, Park JY, Shinnar S, Pascual JM, Sci Rep 2023 Jun 13 1 8951
- Identification of glucose transport modulators in vitro and method for their deep learning neural network behavioral evaluation in Glut1 deficient mice.
- Kathote G, Ma Q, Angulo G, Chen H, Jakkamsetti V, Dobariya A, Good LB, Posner B, Park JY, Pascual JM, J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2023 Jan
- Red blood cells as glucose carriers to the human brain: Modulation of cerebral activity by erythrocyte exchange transfusion in Glut1 deficiency (G1D).
- Wang RC, Lee EE, De Simone N, Kathote G, Primeaux S, Avila A, Yu DM, Johnson M, Good LB, Jakkamsetti V, Sarode R, Holland AA, Pascual JM, J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2022 Dec 271678X221146121
- Metabolic modulation of synaptic failure and thalamocortical hypersynchronization with preserved consciousness in Glut1 deficiency.
- Rajasekaran K, Ma Q, Good LB, Kathote G, Jakkamsetti V, Liu P, Avila A, Primeaux S, Enciso Alva J, Markussen KH, Marin-Valencia I, Sirsi D, Hacker PMS, Gentry MS, Su J, Lu H, Pascual JM, Sci Transl Med 2022 Oct 14 665 eabn2956
Auditory Environment, Stress, and Brain Plasticity. In The Neurobiology of Stress: an Evolutionary Approach
Nichols JA, Bose M, Jakkamsetti VP, Kilgard MP, Atzori M. (2007). Research Signpost
Pyruvate Dehydrogenase, Pyruvate Carboxylase,Krebs Cycle and Mitochondrial Transport Disorders. In Rosenberg's Molecular and Genetic Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disease, 6th Edition, Volume 1
Jakkamsetti V, Marin-Valencia I, Ma Q, Pascual JM (2020). Elsevier
- American Academy of Neurology (2022)
- American Medical Association (2022)
- Association of Physicians of Gujarat (2002)
- Society for Neuroscience (2004)