Paul Bergstresser, M.D.
Graduate Programs Immunology
Dr. Bergstresser has served on the faculty of the UT Southwestern Medical School since 1976 and the Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences since 1980. Under his leadership, the Department of Dermatology received a National Institutes of Health Skin Disease Research Center Grant for three cycles (15 years) and the Academy of Dermatology Award for Excellence in Education in 1992. Dr. Bergstresser is an elected member of the American Dermatological Association, a member of the American Association of American Physicians and has been a Director of the American Board of Dermatology, consultant to the National Psoriasis Foundation Tissue Bank, and past-editor of the medical journals - Photodermatology, Photoimmunology and Photomedicine and the Journal of Investigative Dermatology. Work from his laboratory has concerned the effects of ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation on immunity in skin. His current research concerns the early diagnosis of melanoma.
- Medical School
- Stanford University
- T Cell-Mediated Terminal Maturation of Dendritic Cells: Loss of Adhesive and Phagocytotic Capacities.
- Kitajima T, Caceres-Dittmar G, Tapia FJ, Jester J, Bergstresser PR, Takashima A Journal of Immunology 1996 157 2340-2347
- MHC Class I Expression on Dendritic Cells is Sufficient to Sensitize for Transplantation Immunity.
- Lenz P, Elbe A, Stingl G, Bergstresser PR Journal for Investigative Dermatology 1996 107 844-848
- Langerhans Cells that Migrate to Skin Following Intravenous Infusion Regulate the Induction of Contact Hypersensitivity
- Cruz PD Jr, Tigelaar RE, Bergstresser PR Journal of Immunology 1990 144 2486-2492
- Haptens can Serve as Surrogate Transplantation Antigens in a Manner that Demonstrates H-2 Restriction of Graft Rejection.
- Streilein JW, Bergstresser PR J Exp Med 1983 157 1354-1359
- Depletion of Epidermal Langerhans Cells and Ia Immunogenicity from Tape-Stripped Mouse Skin.
- Streilein JW, Lonsberry LW, Bergstresser PR J Exp Med 1982 155 863-871
- Effectiveness of Infliximab for Intralymphatic Histiocytosis with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- White FN, Bergstresser, PR, Lamontagne D, Boswell JS Arch Dermatol 2011 147 130-131
- It’s All about Patients, Editorial
- Bergstresser PR J Invest Dermatol 2010 130 1-2
- 2nd Edition, Chapter 2: Anatomy and Physiology
- Bergstresser PR, Costner MI Dermatology, Elsevier Ltd. 2008 I 25-35
- "Blind Man Dermatology" revisited
- Bergstresser PR, Jacobe HT Dermatologic Therapy: Outcome Measures in Dermatology 2007 20 75-76
- Understanding clinical trial outcomes: design, analysis, and interpretation
- Jacobe HT, Leitenberger JJ, Bergstresser PR Dermatologic Therapy: Outcome Measures in Dermatology 2007 20 70-85
Honors & Awards
- Dohi Memorial Lecture
Japanese Dermatological Association (2008)
- Marion B. Sulzberger Mem Award
American Academy of Dermatology (2000)
- Dermatitis Research Award
American Skin Association (1994)
- Fogarty Senior Intl Fellowship
University of Vienna, Austria (1994)
- Joseph Plenck Lecture
Austrian Dermatology Society (1994)
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Dermatological Association
- Association of American Physicians
- Association of Professors of Dermatology
- The Society for Investigative Dermatology