Robrina Walker, PhD, is Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Walker earned her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA. She completed her pre-doctoral internship at the University of Mississippi Medical Center / G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VAMC Consortium in Jackson, MS, and an interdisciplinary post-doctoral fellowship in clinical psychology with an emphasis in substance use disorder treatment at the Dallas VA Medical Center.
Since joining the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2008, Dr. Walker has helped lead the core scientific and administrative functions of the Texas Node, one of 13 groups of researchers funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse through the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network (NIDA CTN). The primary aim of the NIDA CTN is to conduct multisite clinical trials to enhance the testing and delivery of scientifically based treatments for substance use disorders. Dr. Walker has been either the Site PI or participated on the lead investigative team of numerous multi-site studies that have tested behavioral and pharmacological treatments for substance use disorders, particularly the stimulants cocaine and methamphetamine, in various settings (outpatient, residential, general hospital, and community).
The current focus of Dr. Walker’s work is on the treatment of methamphetamine use disorder and the treatment of substance use in people living with HIV. Dr. Walker is currently Co-Lead Investigator of the NIDA-funded ADAPT-2 study, a multi-site study evaluating a combination pharmacotherapy for methamphetamine use disorder, and Co-Investigator of a study testing a novel intervention to connect people recently released from jail to substance use and HIV treatment.
- Behavioral treatments for substance use disorders
- Mediators of treatment response
- Stress Moderates the Effect of Childhood Trauma and Adversity on Recent Drinking in Treatment-Seeking Alcohol-Dependent Men.
- Eames SF, Businelle MS, Suris A, Walker R, Rao U, North CS, Xiao H, Adinoff B J Consult Clin Psychol 2014 Mar
- Protective behavioral strategies mediate problem-focused coping and alcohol use in college students.
- Walker R, Stephens RS Addict Behav 2014 Feb
- Characteristics of mexican and mexican american adolescents in treatment for "cheese" heroin use.
- Walker R, Maxwell JC, Adinoff B, Carmody T, Coton CE, Tirado CF J Ethn Subst Abuse 2014 13 3 258-72
- Descriptive characteristics and cluster analysis of male veteran hazardous drinkers in an alcohol moderation intervention.
- Walker R, Hunt YM, Olivier J, Grothe KB, Dubbert PM, Burke RS, Cushman WC Am J Addict 2012 Jul-Aug 21 4 335-42
- Disseminating contingency management to increase attendance in two community substance abuse treatment centers: lessons learned.
- Walker R, Rosvall T, Field CA, Allen S, McDonald D, Salim Z, Ridley N, Adinoff B J Subst Abuse Treat 2010 Oct 39 3 202-9
- On the invariance of the Stimulant Craving Questionnaire (STCQ) across cocaine and methamphetamine users.
- Northrup TF, Green C, Walker R, Greer TL, Trivedi MH Addict Behav 2015 Mar 42 144-7
- Opioid withdrawal, craving, and use during and after outpatient buprenorphine stabilization and taper: a discrete survival and growth mixture model.
- Northrup TF, Stotts AL, Green C, Potter JS, Marino EN, Walker R, Weiss RD, Trivedi M Addict Behav 2015 Feb 41 20-8
- The Use of Technology in Participant Tracking and Study Retention: Lessons Learned from a Clinical Trials Network Study.
- Mitchell SG, Schwartz RP, Alvanzo AA, Weisman MS, Kyle TL, Turrigiano EM, Gibson ML, Perez L, McClure EA, Clingerman S, Froias A, Shandera DR, Walker R, Babcock DL, Bailey GL, Miele GM, Kunkel LE, Norton M, Stitzer ML Subst Abus 2015 Feb 0
- Comorbidities and Race/Ethnicity Among Adults with Stimulant Use Disorders in Residential Treatment.
- Sanchez K, Chartier KG, Greer TL, Walker R, Carmody T, Rethorst CD, Ring KM, Dela Cruz AM, Trivedi MH J Ethn Subst Abuse 2015 Jan 1-17
- Depressive Symptoms and Associated Clinical Characteristics in Outpatients Seeking Community-based Treatment for Alcohol and Drug Problems.
- Sanchez K, Walker R, Campbell AN, Greer TL, Hu MC, Grannemann BD, Nunes EV, Trivedi MH Subst Abus 2014 Aug 0
Honors & Awards
- NIDA Early Career Investigator Travel Award
- Chief Resident
- Magna Cum Laude
- Alpha Chi National Honor Society
- American Psychological Association Division 50: Society of Addiction Psychology (2014)
- Association for Psychological Science (2007)
- American Psychological Association (APA) (2003)
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (2002-2005)