Dr. Howe-Martin joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2009. Prior to receiving her doctoral degree from the University of North Texas, she received much of her training within the Federal Bureau of Prisons, treating inmates with chronic mental illness and comorbid medical complications. She also conducted dissertation research with the UNT Contextual Psychology Group. After graduation, Dr. Howe-Martin completed postdoctoral training at UT Southwestern with the Consult-Liaison Psychiatry division and remained with the C/L division serving Parkland Hospital for the next 5 years.
Dr. Howe-Martin is now the Assistant Director of Behavioral Sciences at the UT Southwestern Moncrief Cancer Institute in Fort Worth, where she also directs the psychology program, treats patients, and supervises doctoral interns. She initiated the Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizure Program within the Parkland Behavioral Health Center, where she continues to see patients. Within the UT Southwestern Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program, she teaches the Advanced Abnormal Psychology and Cultural Diversity courses, and is the Chair of the Curriculum Commitee. Dr. Howe-Martin is also the Associate Director for Continuing Education within the department of Psychiatry, and develops an ongoing series of Psychiatry Continuing Education events for providers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
- University of North Texas (2001), Psychology
- Graduate School
- University of North Texas (2006), Psychology
- Graduate School
- University of North Texas (2008), Psychology
- Book Review: Advances in Health Psychology: Critical Approaches
- Howe-Martin, LS Psychology of Women Quarterly In Press
- What Advisors Want from Advisees: A Survey Within One Academic Psychiatry Department.
- Camp ME, Howe-Martin L Acad Psychiatry 2017 Oct
- A Pilot Program for Implementing Mental Health Screening, Assessment, & Navigation (MH-SCAN) in a Community-Based Cancer Center.
- Howe-Martin L, Jester B, Walker R, de la Garza N, Jha M, Tovian C, Levinson S, Argenbright K, Trivedi M Psychooncology 2017 Mar
- Repetitive Nonsuicidal Self-Injury as Experiential Avoidance Among a Community Sample of Adolescents.
- Howe-Martin LS, Murrell AR, Guarnaccia CA J Clin Psychol 2012 May
Other psychodynamic schools. In Kaplan and Sadock?s Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry (10th edition)
Brenner, A., & Howe-Martin, L.S. (2017). Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Educator, School of Biomedical Sciences
Awarded by the UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers (SWAT) (2016)
- Outstanding Teaching Award
UT Southwestern - Division of Psychology (2014)
- Selected to LEAD program Class of 2014
UT Southwestern - Office of Faculty Diversity and Development (2014-2015)
- Institute for Academic Feminist Psychologists
American Psychological Association Division 35: Society for the Psychology of Women (2012)
- Outstanding Graduate Student
University of North Texas Psychology Program (2004)
- Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholar
University of Birmingham, England (2001)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2016)
- American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS) (2015)
- Dallas Psychological Association (2013)
- American Psychological Association - Division 12 (Society of Clinical Psychology; SCP Mentorship Program); Division 35 (Psychology of Women) (2009)
- Association for Women in Psychology (AWP)
- Texas Psychological Association (TPA)