Ethan A. Halm, MD, MPH is Professor of Internal Medicine and Population and Data Sciences at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, TX, and Chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine. Dr. Halm is a practicing academic general internist who is actively involved in clinical epidemiology, outcomes and health services research. He received his B.A. from Wesleyan University, M.D. from the Yale School of Medicine, and M.P.H. from Harvard University. Following his residency at the University of California, San Francisco, he completed a general medicine/clinical research fellowship at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Halm’s research focuses on: understanding the patient, provider, and system factors that influence the quality and outcomes of care, improving chronic disease management, assessing the impact of patient health beliefs on medication adherence and self-management, changing physician, patient and organizational behavior, and developing evidence-based approaches to the management of common conditions. His research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, among others.
- Medical School
- Yale University School of Medicine (1991)
- University of California at San Francisco (1995), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Harvard School of Public Health (1997)
- Graduate School
- Harvard School of Public Health (1997)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1997), Internal Medicine
- Assessing the impact of patient health beliefs on medication adherence and self-management
- Changing physician, patient, and organizational behavior
- Developing evidence-based approaches to the management of common conditions
- Improving chronic disease management
- Outcomes, health services and comparative effectiveness research
- Understanding the patient, provider, and system factors that influence the quality and outcomes of care
- Predicting medical and surgical complications of carotid endarterectomy: comparing the risk indexes.
- Press MJ, Chassin MR, Wang J, Tuhrim S, Halm EA Arch. Intern. Med. 2006 Apr 166 8 914-20
- No symptoms, no asthma: the acute episodic disease belief is associated with poor self-management among inner-city adults with persistent asthma.
- Halm EA, Mora P, Leventhal H Chest 2006 Mar 129 3 573-80
- Clinical and operative predictors of outcomes of carotid endarterectomy.
- Halm EA, Hannan EL, Rojas M, Tuhrim S, Riles TS, Rockman CB, Chassin MR J. Vasc. Surg. 2005 Sep 42 3 420-8
- Ethnic disparities in the treatment of stage I non-small cell lung cancer.
- Wisnivesky JP, McGinn T, Henschke C, Hebert P, Iannuzzi MC, Halm EA Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2005 May 171 10 1158-63
- Revisiting the appropriateness of carotid endarterectomy.
- Halm EA, Chassin MR, Tuhrim S, Hollier LH, Popp AJ, Ascher E, Dardik H, Faust G, Riles TS Stroke 2003 Jun 34 6 1464-71
- Frequency and impact of active clinical issues and new impairments on hospital discharge in patients with hip fracture.
- Halm EA, Magaziner J, Hannan EL, Wang JJ, Silberzweig SB, Boockvar K, Orosz GM, McLaughlin MA, Koval KJ, Siu AL Arch. Intern. Med. 2003 Jan 163 1 108-13
- Clinical practice. Management of community-acquired pneumonia.
- Halm EA, Teirstein AS N. Engl. J. Med. 2002 Dec 347 25 2039-45
- Is volume related to outcome in health care? A systematic review and methodologic critique of the literature.
- Halm EA, Lee C, Chassin MR Ann. Intern. Med. 2002 Sep 137 6 511-20
- Instability on hospital discharge and the risk of adverse outcomes in patients with pneumonia.
- Halm EA, Fine MJ, Kapoor WN, Singer DE, Marrie TJ, Siu AL Arch. Intern. Med. 2002 Jun 162 11 1278-84
- Understanding physician adherence with a pneumonia practice guideline: effects of patient, system, and physician factors.
- Halm EA, Atlas SJ, Borowsky LH, Benzer TI, Metlay JP, Chang YC, Singer DE Arch. Intern. Med. 2000 Jan 160 1 98-104
Honors & Awards
- Health Care Hero
Dallas Business Journal (2009)
- Outstanding Research Abstract Award
Academy Health National Meeting (2003)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Generalist Physician Faculty Scholar Award
- Milton W. Hamolsky Junior Faculty Research Award
Society of General Internal Medicine Award (1998)
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Abstract Award
American Federation for Medical Research Award (1998)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- AcademyHealth (1997)
- American College of Physicians
- Society of General Internal Medicine