Ethan A. Halm, MD, MPH is Professor of Internal Medicine and Population and Data Sciences at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, TX, and Chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine. Dr. Halm is a practicing academic general internist who is actively involved in clinical epidemiology, outcomes and health services research. He received his B.A. from Wesleyan University, M.D. from the Yale School of Medicine, and M.P.H. from Harvard University. Following his residency at the University of California, San Francisco, he completed a general medicine/clinical research fellowship at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Halm’s research focuses on: understanding the patient, provider, and system factors that influence the quality and outcomes of care, improving chronic disease management, assessing the impact of patient health beliefs on medication adherence and self-management, changing physician, patient and organizational behavior, and developing evidence-based approaches to the management of common conditions. His research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, among others.
- Medical School
- Yale University School of Medicine (1991)
- University of California at San Francisco (1995), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Harvard School of Public Health (1997)
- Graduate School
- Harvard School of Public Health (1997)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1997), Internal Medicine
- Assessing the impact of patient health beliefs on medication adherence and self-management
- Changing physician, patient, and organizational behavior
- Developing evidence-based approaches to the management of common conditions
- Improving chronic disease management
- Outcomes, health services and comparative effectiveness research
- Understanding the patient, provider, and system factors that influence the quality and outcomes of care
- Extending the CONSORT statement to randomized trials of non-pharmacologic treatment: explanation and elaboration
- Boutron I, Moher D, Altman DG, Schulz KF, Ravaud P for the CONSORT Group (Member of CONSORT authorship group) Ann Intern Med 2008 148(4) 295-309
- Barriers to Adherence to Asthma Management Guidelines Among Inner-City Primary Care Providers
- Wisnivesky JP, Lorenzo J, Lyn-Cook R, Newman T, Aponte A, Kiefer E, Halm EA Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology 2008 101(3) 264-70
- Association between minor and major surgical complications after carotid endarterectomy: results of the New York Carotid Artery Surgery study.
- Greenstein AJ, Chassin MR, Wang J, Rockman CB, Riles TS, Tuhrim S, Halm EA J. Vasc. Surg. 2007 Dec 46 6 1138-44; discussion 1145-6
- Predictors of adherence to statins for primary prevention.
- Mann DM, Allegrante JP, Natarajan S, Halm EA, Charlson M Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 2007 Aug 21 4 311-6
- Tying Up Loose Ends: Discharging Patients with Unresolved Medical Issues
- Moore C, McGinn T, Halm EA Arch Intern Med June 2007 167 1305-1311
- Sex differences in lung cancer survival: do tumors behave differently in elderly women?
- Wisnivesky JP, Halm EA J. Clin. Oncol. 2007 May 25 13 1705-12
- Use of generic cardiovascular medications by elderly Medicare beneficiaries receiving generalist or cardiologist care.
- Federman AD, Halm EA, Siu AL Med Care 2007 Feb 45 2 109-15
- Has evidence changed practice?: appropriateness of carotid endarterectomy after the clinical trials.
- Halm EA, Tuhrim S, Wang JJ, Rojas M, Hannan EL, Chassin MR Neurology 2007 Jan 68 3 187-94
- Association of income and prescription drug coverage with generic medication use among older adults with hypertension.
- Federman AD, Halm EA, Zhu C, Hochman T, Siu AL Am J Manag Care 2006 Oct 12 10 611-8
- Predicting medical and surgical complications of carotid endarterectomy: comparing the risk indexes
- Press MJ, Chassin MR, Wang J, Tuhrim S, Halm EA Arch Intern Med April 2006 166(8) 914-920
Honors & Awards
- Health Care Hero
Dallas Business Journal (2009)
- Outstanding Research Abstract Award
Academy Health National Meeting (2003)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Generalist Physician Faculty Scholar Award
- Milton W. Hamolsky Junior Faculty Research Award
Society of General Internal Medicine Award (1998)
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Abstract Award
American Federation for Medical Research Award (1998)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- AcademyHealth (1997)
- American College of Physicians
- Society of General Internal Medicine