Ethan A. Halm, MD, MPH is Professor of Internal Medicine and Population and Data Sciences at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, TX, and Chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine. Dr. Halm is a practicing academic general internist who is actively involved in clinical epidemiology, outcomes and health services research. He received his B.A. from Wesleyan University, M.D. from the Yale School of Medicine, and M.P.H. from Harvard University. Following his residency at the University of California, San Francisco, he completed a general medicine/clinical research fellowship at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Halm’s research focuses on: understanding the patient, provider, and system factors that influence the quality and outcomes of care, improving chronic disease management, assessing the impact of patient health beliefs on medication adherence and self-management, changing physician, patient and organizational behavior, and developing evidence-based approaches to the management of common conditions. His research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, among others.
- Medical School
- Yale University School of Medicine (1991)
- University of California at San Francisco (1995), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Harvard School of Public Health (1997)
- Graduate School
- Harvard School of Public Health (1997)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1997), Internal Medicine
- Assessing the impact of patient health beliefs on medication adherence and self-management
- Changing physician, patient, and organizational behavior
- Developing evidence-based approaches to the management of common conditions
- Improving chronic disease management
- Outcomes, health services and comparative effectiveness research
- Understanding the patient, provider, and system factors that influence the quality and outcomes of care
- Assessing the validity of self-reported medication adherence among inner-city asthmatic adults: the Medication Adherence Report Scale for Asthma.
- Cohen JL, Mann DM, Wisnivesky JP, Home R, Leventhal H, Musumeci-Szabó TJ, Halm EA Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2009 Oct 103 4 325-31
- Impact of positive and negative beliefs about inhaled corticosteroids on adherence in inner-city asthmatic patients.
- Ponieman D, Wisnivesky JP, Leventhal H, Musumeci-Szabó TJ, Halm EA Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2009 Jul 103 1 38-42
- Racial and ethnic disparities in outcomes and appropriateness of carotid endarterectomy: impact of patient and provider factors.
- Halm EA, Tuhrim S, Wang JJ, Rojas M, Rockman C, Riles TS, Chassin MR Stroke 2009 Jul 40 7 2493-501
- Predictors of adherence to diabetes medications: the role of disease and medication beliefs.
- Mann DM, Ponieman D, Leventhal H, Halm EA J Behav Med 2009 Jun 32 3 278-84
- Misconceptions about diabetes and its management among low-income minorities with diabetes.
- Mann DM, Ponieman D, Leventhal H, Halm EA Diabetes Care 2009 Apr 32 4 591-3
- Assessing the relationship between language proficiency and asthma morbidity among inner-city asthmatics.
- Wisnivesky JP, Kattan M, Evans D, Leventhal H, Musumeci-Szabó TJ, McGinn T, Halm EA Med Care 2009 Feb 47 2 243-9
- Risk factors for perioperative death and stroke after carotid endarterectomy: results of the new york carotid artery surgery study.
- Halm EA, Tuhrim S, Wang JJ, Rockman C, Riles TS, Chassin MR Stroke 2009 Jan 40 1 221-9
- Does managed care affect quality? Appropriateness, referral patterns, and outcomes of carotid endarterectomy.
- Halm EA, Press MJ, Tuhrim S, Wang J, Rojas M, Chassin MR Am J Med Qual 2008 Nov-Dec 23 6 448-56
- Low Levels of Awareness of Pharmaceutical Cost-Assistance Programs Among Inner-City Seniors
- Federman AD, Gelb-Safran D, Keyhani S, Siu AL, Halm EA JAMA September 2008 300 (12) 1412-4
- Barriers to adherence to asthma management guidelines among inner-city primary care providers.
- Wisnivesky JP, Lorenzo J, Lyn-Cook R, Newman T, Aponte A, Kiefer E, Halm EA Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2008 Sep 101 3 264-70
Honors & Awards
- Health Care Hero
Dallas Business Journal (2009)
- Outstanding Research Abstract Award
Academy Health National Meeting (2003)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Generalist Physician Faculty Scholar Award
- Milton W. Hamolsky Junior Faculty Research Award
Society of General Internal Medicine Award (1998)
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Abstract Award
American Federation for Medical Research Award (1998)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- AcademyHealth (1997)
- American College of Physicians
- Society of General Internal Medicine