Ethan A. Halm, MD, MPH is Professor of Internal Medicine and Population and Data Sciences at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, TX, and Chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine. Dr. Halm is a practicing academic general internist who is actively involved in clinical epidemiology, outcomes and health services research. He received his B.A. from Wesleyan University, M.D. from the Yale School of Medicine, and M.P.H. from Harvard University. Following his residency at the University of California, San Francisco, he completed a general medicine/clinical research fellowship at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Halm’s research focuses on: understanding the patient, provider, and system factors that influence the quality and outcomes of care, improving chronic disease management, assessing the impact of patient health beliefs on medication adherence and self-management, changing physician, patient and organizational behavior, and developing evidence-based approaches to the management of common conditions. His research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, among others.
- Medical School
- Yale University School of Medicine (1991)
- University of California at San Francisco (1995), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Harvard School of Public Health (1997)
- Graduate School
- Harvard School of Public Health (1997)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1997), Internal Medicine
- Assessing the impact of patient health beliefs on medication adherence and self-management
- Changing physician, patient, and organizational behavior
- Developing evidence-based approaches to the management of common conditions
- Improving chronic disease management
- Outcomes, health services and comparative effectiveness research
- Understanding the patient, provider, and system factors that influence the quality and outcomes of care
- An automated model to identify heart failure patients at risk for 30-day readmission or death using electronic medical record data.
- Amarasingham R, Moore BJ, Tabak YP, Drazner MH, Clark CA, Zhang S, Reed WG, Swanson TS, Ma Y, Halm EA Med Care 2010 Nov 48 11 981-8
- Has evidence changed practice?: appropriateness of carotid endarterectomy after the clinical trials
- Halm EA, Tuhrim S, Wang JJ, Rojas M, Hannan EL, Chassin MR Neurology January 2007 68(3) 187-194
- No symptoms, no asthma: the acute episodic disease belief is associated with poor self-management among inner-city adults with persistent asthma
- Halm EA, Mora P, Leventhal H Chest March 2006 129(3) 573-580
- Revisiting the appropriateness of carotid endarterectomy
- Halm EA, Chassin MR, Tuhrim S, Hollier LH, Faust G, Popp JA, AScher E, Dardik H, Riles TS Stroke June 2003 34(6) 1464-1471
- Is volume related to outcome in health care? A systematic review and methodologic critique of the literature
- Halm EA, Lee C, Chassin MR Ann Intern Med September 2002 137(6) 511-520
- Time to clinical stability in patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia: implications for practice guidelines
- Halm EA, Fine MJ, Marrie TJ, et al. JAMA May 1998 279(18) 1452-1457
- Carotid stenting at the crossroads: practice makes perfect, but some may be practicing too much (and not enough).
- Halm EA JAMA 2011 Sep 306 12 1378-80
- Survival and risk of adverse events in older patients receiving postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy for resected stages II-IIIA lung cancer: observational cohort study.
- Wisnivesky JP, Smith CB, Packer S, Strauss GM, Lurslurchachai L, Federman A, Halm EA BMJ 2011 343 d4013
- Predicting risk of perioperative death and stroke after carotid endarterectomy in asymptomatic patients: derivation and validation of a clinical risk score.
- Calvillo-King L, Xuan L, Zhang S, Tuhrim S, Halm EA Stroke 2010 Dec 41 12 2786-94
- The good, the bad, and the about-to-get ugly: national trends in carotid revascularization: comment on "Geographic variation in carotid revascularization among Medicare beneficiaries, 2003-2006".
- Halm EA Arch. Intern. Med. 2010 Jul 170 14 1225-7
Honors & Awards
- Health Care Hero
Dallas Business Journal (2009)
- Outstanding Research Abstract Award
Academy Health National Meeting (2003)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Generalist Physician Faculty Scholar Award
- Milton W. Hamolsky Junior Faculty Research Award
Society of General Internal Medicine Award (1998)
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Abstract Award
American Federation for Medical Research Award (1998)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- AcademyHealth (1997)
- American College of Physicians
- Society of General Internal Medicine