Dr. Christiana Hall, MD, MS, FNCS is a Professor of Neurology with secondary appointment to Neurosurgery. Her subspecialties within Neurology include Neurocritical Care and Vascular Neurology. She currently is Chief of Service for Neurology at the Parkland Hospital.
She Is a 1995 graduate of the Medical College of Georgia. She trained 2 years in Neurosurgery at the University of New Mexico before returning to the Medical College of Georgia to complete her Neurology residency. She joined The University Texas at Houston to complete fellowships in both Neurocritical Care and Vascular Neurology. She holds board certifications in Neurocritical Care (UCNS) and in Neurology and Vascular Neurology (ABPN.)
She served as Neurology faculty at the Medical College of Georgia form 2004-2008. She contributed there as a cofounder in developing the REACH telestroke system one of the earliest effective models to serve rural Georgia with expansion of the REACH system to distant states as well. She also formally opened a new NeuroIntensivist led Neurocritical Care program there and as co-director of the Neurocritical Unit participated in designing its expansion from 10 to 20 Neuro ICU beds.
Dr Hall’s research interests have focused on Intracerebral Hemorrhage and the potential therapeutic effects of regulating glucose in critically ill neurological patients. The latter area Dr. Hall has pursued continuously since her final year of residency training. She has been a local PI contributing in several large studies in ICH (and SAH) important to the Stroke and Neurocritical Care communities and she has been a PI for the SHINE trial (U01 NS069498) a large North American multi-site randomized controlled trial of glucose regulation in acute stroke patients with type 2 diabetes. Our trial showed that regulating glucose to target levels < 180 mg/dL using a sub-cutaneous insulin strategy produced similar outcomes with less risk of hypoglycemia when compared to controlling glucose to lower levels (<130 mg/dL) by use of insulin drip.
Dr Hall has been active in the Neurocritical Care Society since its 2003 inception serving 8 years on its Board of Directors also serving a term on its Executive Committee. She also served 11 years on the Society’s Research Committee. She was elected to Fellowship in the Society in 2013.
Joining UTSW in 2008, Dr. Hall first established the Neurocritical Fellowship garnering its UCNS accreditation in 2009 the first year this designation became available. She served as Program Director for 6 years seeing it expand to 5 fellows in training. Dr. Hall served as Interim Neurocritical Care Division Director during 2012 and then as Medical Director for the Neurocritical Care Unit at Parkland Hospital from 2013 – 2018. When the new Parkland hospital opened in 2015 she led the move of the Parkland Neurocritical practice into its new fully independent Neurocritical Care Unit venue there.
Dr. Hall currently serves as Chief of Service for Neurology at the Parkland Hospital. From opening in 1894, Parkland has become one of the largest and busiest public hospital systems in the nation. The gleaming new hospital with capacity for nearly 900 patients opened in 2015 soon joined alongside by the new full service Anderson Clinic facility. Encircling main campus are 20 outpatient clinic sites reaching deeply into the Dallas community. Neurology offers the full scope of specialty care services delivered by UTSW Faculty, with Fellows and Residents. The entire 16th floor with commanding city views, offers 66 beds dedicated to Neuroscience practice. Shoulder to shoulder with the level 1 Trauma center and renowned Burn Center, some of Neurology’s crown jewels at Parkland include the Joint Commission Certified Comprehensive Stroke Center, level 4 Epilepsy Center and the 2020 opening of a comprehensive Neurology directed Sleep Center – the largest in any public health system in the country. Parkland then and now remains one among the prime sites for our comprehensive multisite UTSW education programs in Neurology.
- Medical School
- Medical College of Georgia (1995)
- University of New Mexico School of Medicine (1997), General Surgery
- Medical College of Georgia (2002), Neurology
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (2004), Vascular Neurology
- Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage treatments to improve outcomes
- Glucose regulation in critically ill neurological patients
- Intracerebral hemorrhage treaments to improve outcomes
- Intensive vs Standard Treatment of Hyperglycemia and Functional Outcome in Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke: The SHINE Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Johnston KC, Bruno A, Pauls Q, Hall CE, Barrett KM, Barsan W, Fansler A, Van de Bruinhorst K, Janis S, Durkalski-Mauldin VL, JAMA 2019 07 322 4 326-335
- Education Research: Variation in priorities for neurocritical care education expressed across role groups.
- Cohen AS, Izzy S, Kumar MA, Joyce CJ, Figueroa SA, Maas MB, Hall CE, McDonagh DL, Lerner DP, Vespa PM, Shutter LA, Rosenthal ES Neurology 2018 Jun 90 24 1117-1122
- The Ethnic/Racial Variations of Intracerebral Hemorrhage (ERICH) Study Protocol.
- Woo D, Rosand J, Kidwell C, McCauley JL, Osborne J, Brown MW, West SE, Rademacher EW, Waddy S, Roberts JN, Koch S, Gonzales NR, Sung G, Kittner SJ, Birnbaum L, Frankel M, Testai FD, Hall CE, Elkind MS, Flaherty M, Coull B, Chong JY, Warwick T, Malkoff M, James ML, Ali LK, Worrall BB, Jones F, Watson T, Leonard A, Martinez R, Sacco RI, Langefeld CD Stroke 2013 Oct 44 10 e120-e125
- Measuring and Monitoring ICP in Neurocritical Care: Results from a National Practice Survey.
- Olson DM, Batjer HH, Abdulkadir K, Hall CE Neurocrit Care 2013 Jul
- The Stroke Hyperglycemia Insulin Network Effort (SHINE) trial protocol: a randomized, blinded, efficacy trial of standard vs. intensive hyperglycemia management in acute stroke.
- Bruno A, Durkalski VL, Hall CE, Juneja R, Barsan WG, Janis S, Meurer WJ, Fansler A, Johnston KC Int J Stroke 2013 Mar
- Clinical Trial Design in the Neurocritical Care Unit.
- Hall CE, Mirski M, Palesch YY, Diringer MN, Qureshi AI, Robertson CS, Geocadin R, Wijman CA, Le Roux PD, Suarez JI Neurocritical care 2011 Jul
- A telestroke network enhances recruitment into acute stroke clinical trials.
- Switzer JA, Hall CE, Close B, Nichols FT, Gross H, Bruno A, Hess DC Stroke 2010 Mar 41 3 566-9
- Glucose Regulation in Acute Stroke Patients (GRASP) trial: a randomized pilot trial.
- Johnston KC, Hall CE, Kissela BM, Bleck TP, Conaway MR Stroke 2009 Dec 40 12 3804-9
- Managing hyperglycemia in acute ischemic stroke patients.
- Johnston KC, Hall CE, Bleck TP Stroke 2007 Nov 38 11 e137; author reply e139
- Telestroke: extending stroke expertise into underserved areas.
- Hess DC, Wang S, Gross H, Nichols FT, Hall CE, Adams RJ Lancet Neurol 2006 Mar 5 3 275-8
Monitoring of Gastrointestinal Challenges in the Neuro Intensive Care Unit. In Monitoring In Neurocritical Care
Hall, C.E., Patel, A. (2013). Philadelphia, Elsevier
Hemoglobinopathies and Thalassemias: Treatment of Stroke and other Neurological Complications. In Neurological Therapeutics: Principles and Practice 2nd ED.
Hall, C.E., Adams, R.J. (2006). Abingdon, Oxon, UK / Boca Raton, Fla, Informa Healthcare / Taylor & Francis,
Hemoglobinopathies and Thalassemias: Treatment of Stroke and other Neurological Complications. In Neurological Therapeutics: Principles and Practice
Hall, C.E., Adams, R.J. (2003). London, Martin Dunitz
Honors & Awards
Elected to Fellowship in the Neurocritical Care Society (2013)
- Association of Academic Surgery
Finalist - Bayer Resident Research Fellowship Award (1997)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Elected at the Medical College of Georgia (1995)
- Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Citation
Awarded at the Medical College of Georgia for Scholasitc Achievement (1995)
- Neurosurgery Award
Awarded at the Medical College of Georgia for outstanding performance in Neurological Surgery (1995)
- Peacock Family Award
Awarded at the Medical College of Georgia for outstanding performance - Gross Anatomy (1992)
- elected to Psi Chi
International Honor Society in Psychology (1986)
- American Neurological Association (2016)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2007-2010)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2007-2018)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2006-2014)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2003)
- Society for Critical Care Medicine (2003)
- American Stroke Association (2000)
- American Academy of Neurology (1998)