Ahmad Elsharydah, M.D.
Department Anesthesiology & Pain Management
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Elsharydah is an Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Pain Management at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. He graduated from University of Damascus School of Medicine. Dr. Elsharydah received his anesthesia training from Indiana University in Indianapolis and his Pain Medicine fellowship from LSU Medical Center at Shreveport. He earned a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with healthcare management concentration from the University of Texas at Dallas in 2013. Dr. Elsharydah is a Fellow of the American Society of Anesthesiologists. He has authored or co-authored numerous peer-reviewed journal articles, case reports, letters and abstracts as well as several book chapters. Dr. Elsharydah is an invited reviewer for several medical journals. He has made numerous presentations in national and international anesthesia and pain medicine conferences. His main clinical interests include chronic and acute pain management with emphasis on multimodal analgesia including regional and neuraxial blocks. Furthermore, he is an active member of the OR anesthesia team. His main research interests include perioperative outcomes research, perioperative healthcare analytics, predictive modeling and post-operative pain management.
- Medical School
- University of Damascus School of Medicine - Syria (1990)
- George Washington University School of Medicine (1995), Medicine
- Michael Reese Hospital (1996), Internal Medicine
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Medical Center (1997), Neurology
- Indiana University School of Medicine (2000), Anesthesiology
- University of South Florida (2000), Anesthesiology/critical Care
- Louisiana State University Health Science Center (2006), Pain Management
- Perioperative analytics and predictive modeling
- Perioperative outcomes research
- Postoperative pain management
- A preoperative predictive model for prolonged post-anaesthesia care unit stay after outpatient surgeries.
- Elsharydah A, Walters DR, Somasundaram A, Bryson TD, Minhajuddin A, Gabriel RA, Grewal GK, J Perioper Pract 2019 May 1750458919850377
- Complex regional pain syndrome type 1 predictors - Epidemiological perspective from a national database analysis.
- Elsharydah A, Loo NH, Minhajuddin A, Kandil ES J Clin Anesth 2017 Jun 39 34-37
- Retained surgical items after abdominal and pelvic surgery: Incidence, trend and predictors- observational study.
- Elsharydah A, Warmack KO, Minhajuddin A, Moffatt-Bruce SD Ann Med Surg (Lond) 2016 Dec 12 60-64
- Epidural analgesia does not increase the rate of inpatient falls after major upper abdominal and thoracic surgery: a retrospective case-control study.
- Elsharydah A, Williams TM, Rosero EB, Joshi GP Can J Anaesth 2016 Feb
- Prediction Model for Extended Hospital Stay Among Medicare Beneficiaries After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention.
- Burton BN, Abudu B, Danforth DJ, Patell S, Wilkins Y Martinez L, Fergerson B, Elsharydah A, Gabriel RA, J. Cardiothorac. Vasc. Anesth. 2019 Apr
- Racial Disparity in the Perioperative Care for Patients Undergoing Total Knee and Hip Arthroplasty: A Retrospective Propensity-Matched Cohort Study.
- Elsharydah A, Embabi AS, Minhajuddin A, Joshi GP J Racial Ethn Health Disparities 2017 Aug
- Effects of epidural analgesia on recovery after open colorectal surgery.
- Elsharydah A, Zuo LW, Minhajuddin A, Joshi GP Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2017 Jul 30 3 255-258
- Upper airway trauma during general anaesthesia for major surgery: incidence and trends: A retrospective study.
- Elsharydah A, Benhardt AC, Minhajuddin A, Ogunnaike BO, Joshi GP Eur J Anaesthesiol 2016 Jan
- Entrapment of pulmonary artery catheter in a suture at the inferior vena cava cannulation site.
- Huang L, Elsharydah A, Nawabi A, Cork RC J Clin Anesth 2004 Nov 16 7 557-9
- Mechanisms of calcium transport in human colonic basolateral membrane vesicles.
- Saksena S, Ammar MS, Tyagi S, Elsharydah A, Gill RK, Ramaswamy K, Dudeja PK Dig. Dis. Sci. 2002 Oct 47 10 2306-15
Lean Management: Inventory, Waste Management. In Manual of Practice Management for Ambulatory Surgery Centers: An Evidence-Based Guide
Ahmad Elsharydah, Maria Michaelis, Niraja Rajan (2019). Springer International Publishing
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American Society of Anesthesiologists
- SAMBA Excellence and Innovation Award
- Society for Ambulatory Anesthesia (2015)
- Texas Society of Anesthesiologists (2008)
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (2004)
- International Anesthesia Research Society (2004)
- American Society of Anesthesiologists (2000)