Larry Anderson Jr., M.D., Ph.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Hematology and Oncology. He specializes in bone marrow transplantation to treat plasma cell disorders, such as multiple myeloma, Waldenström's macroglobulinemia, amyloidosis, and other gammopathies.
A native of Hearn, Texas, Dr. Anderson received his undergraduate degree in biomedical sciences with honors from Texas A&M University. He earned a medical degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston and a doctoral degree in immunology from MD Anderson Cancer Center and the UT Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences/Health Science Center at Houston. He completed his residency in internal medicine at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine. He then completed advanced training through a fellowship in medical oncology at the University of Washington Medical Center and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, where he also served as a research associate.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine and medical oncology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2008.
Dr. Anderson’s research interests include cancer immunology, immunotherapy, multiple myeloma, and stem cell transplantation. His investigations have led to more than 30 publications in peer-reviewed journals. He has also presented his findings at conferences throughout the United States and around the world.
Dr. Anderson is a member of the American Society of Hematology and the Texas Medical Association, and he is a Diplomate of both the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) and the ABIM Subspecialty Board of Medical Oncology.
He was named a Texas Monthly Super Doctor in 2018.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (2000)
- Mayo Clinic (2003), Internal Medicine
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (2006), Medical Oncology
- Cancer immunology
- CAR T-Cells
- MAGE-C1 (CT-7)
- Multiple Myeloma
- Stem Cell Transplantation
- Idecabtagene Vicleucel in Relapsed and Refractory Multiple Myeloma.
- Munshi NC, Anderson LD, Shah N, Madduri D, Berdeja J, Lonial S, Raje N, Lin Y, Siegel D, Oriol A, Moreau P, Yakoub-Agha I, Delforge M, Cavo M, Einsele H, Goldschmidt H, Weisel K, Rambaldi A, Reece D, Petrocca F, Massaro M, Connarn JN, Kaiser S, Patel P, Huang L, Campbell TB, Hege K, San-Miguel J, N Engl J Med 2021 02 384 8 705-716
- Nonmyeloablative allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation for relapsed or refractory Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia: Evidence for a graft-versus-lymphoma effect.
- Maffini E, Anderson LD, Sandmaier BM, Green DJ, Storer BE, Niederwieser D, Maziarz RT, Maloney DG, Storb R Haematologica 2018 Mar
- Identification of MAGE-C1 (CT-7) epitopes for T-cell therapy of multiple myeloma.
- Anderson LD, Cook DR, Yamamoto TN, Berger C, Maloney DG, Riddell SR Cancer Immunol. Immunother. 2011 Jul 60 7 985-97
- Identification of MAGE-C1 (CT-7) epitopes for T-cell therapy of Multiple Myeloma
- Anderson LD Jr, Cook DR, Yamamoto T, Berger C, Maloney DG, and Riddell SR Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy 2011 (In Press)
- Immunization of allogeneic bone marrow transplant recipients with tumor cell vaccines enhances graft-versus-tumor activity without exacerbating graft-versus-host disease
- Anderson LD Jr, Savary CA, and CA Mullen Blood April 2000 95 2426-2433
- The association of leukocyte immunoglobulin-like receptor subfamily B-4 expression in acute myeloid leukemia and central nervous system involvement.
- Bergstrom CP, Dahiya S, Chen W, Zhang CC, Zhu H, Yan J, Madanat Y, Patel P, Vusirkala M, Ramakrishnan P, Rizvi S, Chung S, Awan F, Anderson LD, Collins R, Kansagra A, Leuk Res 2020 Nov 100 106480
- Once-per-week selinexor, bortezomib, and dexamethasone versus twice-per-week bortezomib and dexamethasone in patients with multiple myeloma (BOSTON): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.
- Grosicki S, Simonova M, Spicka I, Pour L, Kriachok I, Gavriatopoulou M, Pylypenko H, Auner HW, Leleu X, Doronin V, Usenko G, Bahlis NJ, Hajek R, Benjamin R, Dolai TK, Sinha DK, Venner CP, Garg M, Gironella M, Jurczyszyn A, Robak P, Galli M, Wallington-Beddoe C, Radinoff A, Salogub G, Stevens DA, Basu S, Liberati AM, Quach H, Goranova-Marinova VS, Bila J, Katodritou E, Oliynyk H, Korenkova S, Kumar J, Jagannath S, Moreau P, Levy M, White D, Gatt ME, Facon T, Mateos MV, Cavo M, Reece D, Anderson LD, Saint-Martin JR, Jeha J, Joshi AA, Chai Y, Li L, Peddagali V, Arazy M, Shah J, Shacham S, Kauffman MG, Dimopoulos MA, Richardson PG, Delimpasi S, Lancet 2020 11 396 10262 1563-1573
- Lenalidomide-Associated Secondary B-Lymphoblastic Leukemia/Lymphoma-A Unique Entity.
- Germans SK, Kulak O, Koduru P, Oliver D, Gagan J, Patel P, Anderson LD, Fuda FS, Chen W, Jaso JM, Am J Clin Pathol 2020 11 154 6 816-827
- Pomalidomide, bortezomib, and dexamethasone for multiple myeloma previously treated with lenalidomide (OPTIMISMM): outcomes by prior treatment at first relapse.
- Dimopoulos M, Weisel K, Moreau P, Anderson LD, White D, San-Miguel J, Sonneveld P, Engelhardt M, Jenner M, Corso A, Dürig J, Pavic M, Salomo M, Casal E, Srinivasan S, Yu X, Nguyen TV, Biyukov T, Peluso T, Richardson P, Leukemia 2020 Sep
- Final analysis of a phase 1/2b study of ibrutinib combined with carfilzomib/dexamethasone in patients with relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma.
- Chari A, Cornell RF, Gasparetto C, Karanes C, Matous JV, Niesvizky R, Lunning M, Usmani SZ, Anderson LD, Chhabra S, Girnius S, Shustik C, Stuart R, Lee Y, Salman Z, Liu E, Valent J, Hematol Oncol 2020 Aug 38 3 353-362
Honors & Awards
- Elected as a Fellow of the American College of Physicians
- Texas Super Doctor
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society North Texas Man of the Year
- Texas Super Doctor Rising Star
- ACS Institutional Research Grant
Research Grant (2010)
- ASCO Young Investigator Award
Research Grant (2006)
- K12 Career Development Award
Research Grant (2006)
- Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation Fellow Award
Research Grant (2006)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2017)
- American Society for Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (2014)
- American College of Physicians (2013)
- American Society of Hematology