Kamalanathan Sambandam, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Division of Nephrology. He serves as Director of the Nephrology Fellowship Program at UTSW and as the Medical Director of Renal Clinics at Parkland Hospital.
Originally from Houston, Dr. Sambandam earned his medical degree at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. He completed a residency in internal medicine and advanced fellowship training in nephrology at Washington University School of Medicine/Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis.
His clinical interests include diuretic resistance and nondiabetic glomerular disease.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine and nephrology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2008. He is a member of the American Society of Nephrology and the Texas Medical Association.
- Medical School
- UT Medical Branch at Galveston (2003)
- Washington University/Barnes Jewish Hospital (2006), Internal Medicine
- Washington University/Barnes Jewish Hospital (2008), Nephrology
- Diuretic resistant states
- Non-diabetic glomerular disease
- The Basic Metabolic Profile in Heart Failure-Marker and Modifier.
- Elfar A, Sambandam KK Curr Heart Fail Rep 2017 Aug 14 4 311-320
- Prognostic significance of repeat biopsy in lupus nephritis: Histopathologic worsening and a short time between biopsies is associated with significantly increased risk for end stage renal disease and death.
- Arriens C, Chen S, Karp DR, Saxena R, Sambandam K, Chakravarty E, James JA, Merrill JT Clin. Immunol. 2016 Dec
- Complete Remission in the Nephrotic Syndrome Study Network.
- Gipson DS, Troost JP, Lafayette RA, Hladunewich MA, Trachtman H, Gadegbeku CA, Sedor JR, Holzman LB, Moxey-Mims MM, Perumal K, Kaskel FJ, Nelson PJ, Tuttle KR, Bagnasco SM, Hogan MC, Dell KM, Appel GB, Lieske JC, Ilori TO, Sethna CB, Fervenza FC, Hogan SL, Nachman PH, Rosenberg AZ, Greenbaum LA, Meyers KE, Hewitt SM, Choi MJ, Kopp JB, Zhdanova O, Hodgin JB, Johnstone DB, Adler SG, Avila-Casado C, Neu AM, Hingorani SR, Lemley KV, Nast CC, Brady TM, Barisoni-Thomas L, Fornoni A, Jennette JC, Cattran DC, Palmer MB, Gibson KL, Reich HN, Mokrzycki MH, Sambandam KK, Zilleruelo GE, Licht C, Sampson MG, Song P, Mariani LH, Kretzler M Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2015 Dec
- Collapsing focal segmental glomerulosclerosis resulting from a single dose of zoledronate.
- Neyra JA, Vaidya OU, Hendricks A, Sambandam KK Nephron Extra 2014 Sep 4 3 168-74
- Effective Use of Loop Diuretics in Heart Failure Exacerbation: A Nephrologist's View.
- Sambandam KK Am. J. Med. Sci. 2013 Apr
Miscellaneous Causes of Acute Kidney Injury. In Evidence-Based Nephrology
Kamalanathan Sambandam, Anitha Vijayan (2008). Oxford, Blackwell Publishing
- American Society of Nephrology
- Texas Medical Association