Fangyu Peng, M.D., is an Associate Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Nuclear Medicine Division. He also serves as the Director of Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Translational Imaging, and holds a secondary appointment in the Advanced Imaging Research Center. His clinical interests include general nuclear medicine, PET imaging, and computed tomography (CT), with a particular interest in oncology and neurology.
Dr. Peng earned his medical degree at Jiangxi Medical College in Nanchang, China. He then earned a master’s degree in molecular virology at Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine's Institute of Virology in Beijing. He earned a doctoral degree in microbiology and immunology at the University of South Florida College of Medicine in Tampa. He then completed a research fellowship program in hematopathology at Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie, Indiana, before completing his residency in pathology at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York. Dr. Peng then completed a residency in nuclear medicine at the University of Connecticut Health Center in Farmington, and in anatomic pathology at Hartford Hospital. He completed his formal training with a fellowship program in nuclear medicine and molecular imaging at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.
Before being recruited in 2008 to enhance the Nuclear Medicine Division's translational research, Dr. Peng served as an Assistant Professor of Radiology and Pediatrics at Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit.
At UT Southwestern, he troubleshoots and improves imaging protocols, and actively participates in educational endeavors, in addition to his regular clinical responsibilities.
Dr. Peng focuses his research on inherited and acquired copper metabolism disorders in Wilson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and traumatic brain injury, and investigates copper metabolism as a theranostic target for molecular imaging and cancer treatment. His research has been published in more than 50 peer-reviewed publications. He also invented and received a patent for intracellular trapping of radionuclides by enzyme-mediated reduction.
- Medical School
- Jiangxi Medical College (1982)
- Graduate School
- University of South Florida (1994), Medical Microbiology & Immunology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of South Florida (1994)
- Ball Memorial Hospital (1996), Hematopathology
- SUNY Upstate Medical University (1998), Pathology
- University of Connecticut Health Center (2000), Nuclear Medicine
- Hartford Hospital (2002), Anatomic Pathology
- Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center - NIH (2003), Nuclear Medicine
- Functional imaging of altered copper fluxes in Wilson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, and traumatic brain injury
- Targeting copper metabolism for molecular cancer imaging and therapy
- Ectopic Thyroid Tissue in the Mediastinum Characterized by Histology and Functional Imaging with I-123 SPECT/CT.
- Hummel J, Wachsmann J, Carrick K, Oz OK, Mathews D, Peng F Case Rep Radiol 2017 2017 9084207
- Asymmetric radiotracer activity of enlarged cerebral spinal fluid space on radionuclide cisternography with SPET/CT.
- Bulman JC, Wachsmann J, Peng F Hell J Nucl Med 2016 Nov
- Immune-mediated Disease in Ipilimumab Immunotherapy of Melanoma with FDG PET-CT.
- Wachsmann JW, Ganti R, Peng F Acad Radiol 2016 Nov
- Detection of Widespread Metastasis in a Case of Aggressive Carcinoma Showing Thymuslike Differentiation (CASTLE Disease) Using 18F-FDG PET/CT.
- Iyamu I, Wachsmann J, Truelson J, Mathews D, Peng F Clin Nucl Med 2015 Apr
- Alteration of Copper Fluxes in Brain Aging: A Longitudinal Study in Rodent Using 64CuCl2-PET/CT.
- Peng F, Xie F, Muzik O Aging Dis 2018 Feb 9 1 109-118
- Radiopharmaceuticals for Assessment of Altered Metabolism and Biometal Fluxes in Brain Aging and Alzheimer's Disease with Positron Emission Tomography.
- Xie F, Peng F J. Alzheimers Dis. 2017 Jun
- Age-dependent changes of cerebral copper metabolism in Atp7b (-/-) knockout mouse model of Wilson's disease by [(64)Cu]CuCl2-PET/CT.
- Xie F, Xi Y, Pascual JM, Muzik O, Peng F Metab Brain Dis 2017 Jan
- Molecular imaging and therapy targeting copper metabolism in hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Wachsmann J, Peng F World J. Gastroenterol. 2016 Jan 22 1 221-31
- Detection of Increased 64Cu uptake in Traumatic Brain Injury with 64CuCl2-PET/CT.
- Peng F, Muzik O, Gatson J, Kernie S, Diaz-Arrastia R J. Nucl. Med. 2015 Jun
- Reduced 64Cu Uptake and Tumor Growth Inhibition by Knockdown of Human Copper Transporter 1 in Xenograft Mouse Model of Prostate Cancer.
- Cai H, Wu JS, Muzik O, Hsieh JT, Lee RJ, Peng F J. Nucl. Med. 2014 Mar
Honors & Awards
American College of Nuclear Medicine (2019)
- Chief Resident in Nuclear Medicine
University of Connecticut Health Center (1999-2000)
- American Society of Neurochemistry (2017)
- International Society to Advance Alzheimers Research and Treatment (2016)
- International Society for Neurochemistry (2015)
- American College of Nuclear Medicine (2014)
- Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (1998)