- Stephen F Austin State Uni (1997), Biology
- Graduate School
- Stephen F Austin State Uni (1999), Biochemistry
- Medical School
- Univ of Tx Health Science Ctr (2004), Medicine
- Diseases of the esophagus
- Eosinophilic conditions in the GI tract
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- Molecular diagnostics
- Patient engagement
- Randomized Trial of Medical versus Surgical Treatment for Refractory Heartburn.
- Spechler SJ, Hunter JG, Jones KM, Lee R, Smith BR, Mashimo H, Sanchez VM, Dunbar KB, Pham TH, Murthy UK, Kim T, Jackson CS, Wallen JM, von Rosenvinge EC, Pearl JP, Laine L, Kim AW, Kaz AM, Tatum RP, Gellad ZF, Lagoo-Deenadayalan S, Rubenstein JH, Ghaferi AA, Lo WK, Fernando RS, Chan BS, Paski SC, Provenzale D, Castell DO, Lieberman D, Souza RF, Chey WD, Warren SR, Davis-Karim A, Melton SD, Genta RM, Serpi T, Biswas K, Huang GD, N. Engl. J. Med. 2019 10 381 16 1513-1523
- Copper Metabolism Domain-containing 1 Represses Genes that Promote Inflammation and Protects Mice From Colitis and Colitis-associated Cancer.
- Li H, Chan L, Bartuzi P, Melton SD, Weber A, Ben-Shlomo S, Varol C, Raetz M, Mao X, Starokadomskyy P, van Sommeren S, Mokadem M, Schneider H, Weisberg R, Westra HJ, Esko T, Metspalu A, Kumar V, Faubion WA, Yarovinsky F, Hofker M, Wijmenga C, Kracht M, Franke L, Aguirre V, Weersma RK, Gluck N, van de Sluis B, Burstein E Gastroenterology 2014 Apr
- A Molecular Diagnostic Perfect Storm: The Convergence of Regulatory & Reimbursement Forces that Threaten Patient Access to Innovations in Genomic Medicine
- Victoria M. Pratt, Dara L. Aisner, Stephen P. Day, Loren Joseph, Shelby D. Melton, Paul G. Rothberg, Daniel E. Sabath, and Mary Steele Williams 2014
- Histopathologic diagnosis of eosinophilic conditions in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Hurrell JM, Genta RM, Melton SD Adv Anat Pathol 2011 Sep 18 5 335-48
- Itraconazole Exerts its Anti-Tumor Effect in Esophageal Cancer by Suppressing the HER2/AKT Signaling Pathway.
- Zhang W, Bhagwath AS, Ramzan Z, Williams TA, Subramaniyan I, Edpuganti V, Kallem RR, Dunbar KB, Ding P, Gong K, Geurkink SA, Beg MS, Kim J, Zhang Q, Habib AA, Choi SH, Lapsiwala R, Bhagwath G, Dowell JE, Melton SD, Jie C, Putnam WC, Pham TH, Wang DH, Mol Cancer Ther 2021 Aug
- Microbial Sensing by Intestinal Myeloid Cells Controls Carcinogenesis and Epithelial Differentiation.
- Miyata N, Morris LL, Chen Q, Thorne C, Singla A, Zhu W, Winter M, Melton SD, Li H, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Llano E, Huff-Hardy K, Starokadomskyy P, Lopez A, Reese TA, Turer E, Billadeau DD, Winter SE, Burstein E Cell Rep 2018 Aug 24 9 2342-2355
- Laparoscopic ischemic conditioning of the stomach increases neovascularization of the gastric conduit in patients undergoing esophagectomy for cancer.
- Pham TH, Melton SD, McLaren PJ, Mokdad AA, Huerta S, Wang DH, Perry KA, Hardaker HL, Dolan JP J Surg Oncol 2017 May
- Clinical Implications of Histologic Abnormalities in Ileocolonic Biopsies of Patients With Crohn's Disease in Remission.
- Brennan GT, Melton SD, Spechler SJ, Feagins LA J. Clin. Gastroenterol. 2016 Feb
- Autocrine VEGF Signaling Promotes Proliferation of Neoplastic Barrett's Epithelial Cells Through a PLC-Dependent Pathway.
- Zhang Q, Yu C, Peng S, Xu H, Wright E, Zhang X, Huo X, Cheng E, Pham TH, Asanuma K, Hatanpaa KJ, Rezai D, Wang DH, Sarode V, Melton S, Genta RM, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gastroenterology 2013 Oct
- Clinical implications of histologic abnormalities in colonic biopsy specimens from patients with ulcerative colitis in clinical remission.
- Feagins LA, Melton SD, Iqbal R, Dunbar KB, Spechler SJ Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2013 Jun 19 7 1477-82
Honors & Awards
- McGovern (UT Houston) Medical School
Distinguished Alumnus Award (2023)
- McGovern (UT Houston) Medical School Alumni Association
- Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments (LEAD) Program Graduate
The LEAD Program is designed for junior faculty who aspire to develop their leadership skills. Curriculum includes modules in self-discovery, communication, influence, negotiation, difficult conversations, inspiring trust, and embracing diversity. (2014)
- North Texas Society of Pathology
- ACG Presidential Poster Award
American College of Gastroenterology Annual Scientific Meeting, San Antonio, TX. (2010)
- First Place, Poster Competition
25th Annual John R. Rainey, MD, Residents'/Fellows' Seminar. 89th Annual Meeting for the Texas Society of Pathologists, Galveston, TX (2010)
- GIPS Abstract Award
Rodger C. Haggitt Gastrointestinal Pathology Society, 99th Annual Meeting for the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Washington, DC. (2010)
- Association for Molecular Pathology - Awards Committee (2022)
- Association for Molecular Pathology - Chair, Membership Affairs Committee (2020-2022)
- Association for Molecular Pathology - Chair, Patient Engagement Subcommittee (2018-2020)
- Association for Molecular Pathology - Nominating Committee, Solid Tumor Subdivision Representative (2017-2019)
- Association for Molecular Pathology - Professional Relations Committee (2008-2018)
- VA North Texas Health Care System (2010)
- VA North Texas Health Care System - Chair, IRB (2016-2022)