Dr. Fujikawa is originally from Japan where he received his Ph.D. at Kyoto University in 2008. Dr. Fujikawa joined the Division of Hypothalamic Research as a postdoctoral fellow in the same year. Dr. Fujikawa was promoted to Instructor in the Division in 2014, following completion of his postdoctoral studies with Drs. Roberto Coppari (currently Genève University in Switzerland) and Joel K. Elmquist. Currently Dr. Fujikawa investigates the mechanisms by which the central nervous system regulates glucose and energy homeostasis in an insulin-independent manner from pathological and physiological point of views.
- Kyoto University - Japan (2003), Agriculture
- Graduate School
- Kyoto University - Japan (2008), Physiology
- Neuronal control of glucose and energy homeostasis
- Leptin engages a hypothalamic neurocircuitry to permit survival in the absence of insulin.
- Fujikawa T, Berglund ED, Patel VR, Ramadori G, Vianna CR, Vong L, Thorel F, Chera S, Herrera PL, Lowell BB, Elmquist JK, Baldi P, Coppari R Cell Metab. 2013 Sep 18 3 431-44
- Revisiting the Ventral Medial Nucleus of the Hypothalamus: The Roles of SF-1 Neurons in Energy Homeostasis.
- Choi YH, Fujikawa T, Lee J, Reuter A, Kim KW Front Neurosci 2013 7 71
- SIRT1 deacetylase in SF1 neurons protects against metabolic imbalance.
- Ramadori G, Fujikawa T, Anderson J, Berglund ED, Frazao R, Michán S, Vianna CR, Sinclair DA, Elias CF, Coppari R Cell Metab. 2011 Sep 14 3 301-12
- Leptin therapy improves insulin-deficient type 1 diabetes by CNS-dependent mechanisms in mice.
- Fujikawa T, Chuang JC, Sakata I, Ramadori G, Coppari R Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 Oct 107 40 17391-6
- SIRT1 deacetylase in POMC neurons is required for homeostatic defenses against diet-induced obesity.
- Ramadori G, Fujikawa T, Fukuda M, Anderson J, Morgan DA, Mostoslavsky R, Stuart RC, Perello M, Vianna CR, Nillni EA, Rahmouni K, Coppari R Cell Metab. 2010 Jul 12 1 78-87
- Central administration of resveratrol improves diet-induced diabetes.
- Ramadori G, Gautron L, Fujikawa T, Vianna CR, Elmquist JK, Coppari R Endocrinology 2009 Dec 150 12 5326-33