Dr. Nichols received his medical degree from UT Southwestern Medical School in 2012, after which he completed residency in general pediatrics at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in 2015. He then returned to UT Southwestern where he completed his fellowship in pediatric critical care medicine in 2018 and now serves as an assistant professor in the general pediatric ICU. At this time, he is continuing his research from fellowship examining neutrophil-based inflammation and the development of diabetic ketoacidosis in patients with type 1 diabetes.
Dr. Nichols also is involved with a multitude of projects using simulation-based education to improve resuscitation medicine for multi-professional learners including nurses, respiratory therapists, medical students, general pediatrics residents, advanced practice providers, and pediatric critical care fellows. He hopes to use simulation to improve communication and interpersonal relationships amongst multi-professional learners as well as use this education to ultimately improve patient outcomes.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2012)
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2015), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2018), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Acute respiratory failure
- Improvement of resuscitation education
- Neutrophil-based inflammation and development of diabetic ketoacidosis
- Simulation-based education for multi-professional learners
- Hydrocortisone Therapy in Catecholamine-Resistant Pediatric Septic Shock: A Pragmatic Analysis of Clinician Practice and Association With Outcomes.
- Nichols B, Kubis S, Hewlett J, Yehya N, Srinivasan V Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017 Sep 18 9 e406-e414
Honors & Awards
- Senior Fellow Research Award, UT Southwestern, Department of Pediatrics
- Texas Lion's Camp 10-Year Service Award
- Co-chief Fellow, UT Southwestern Critical Care Fellowship Program
- Eli Lilly - Lilly Diabetes Journey Award - 25 years
- Texas Lion's Camp 5-Year Service Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society Member
- Society for Leukocyte Biology (2017)
- Society for Pediatric Research, Junior Section (2017)
- American Board of Pediatrics, General Pediatrics (2015)
- Society for Critical Care Medicine (2015)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2012)