Originally from India, Dr. Agarwal holds a bachelor's degree in zoology, chemistry, and botany and a master's degree in biochemistry from the University of Allahabad. He earned his doctorate in biochemistry and chemistry at Kanpur University. He completed a research fellowship in endocrinology at the Central Drug Research Institute in India and completed a postdoctoral fellowship in endocrinology at the Rockefeller University in New York.
Dr. Agarwal joined the UT Southwestern faculty as a Research Instructor in the Department of Pediatrics in 1994. He was promoted to Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine in 2001, Associate Professor in 2004, and Professor in 2012.
Dr. Agarwal is a member of the Endocrine Society and the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Graduate School
- Kanpur University (1982)
- Functional aspects of acyltransferases
- Molecular aspects of lipodystrophy
- Molecular aspects of premature aging
- Zinc metalloproteinase ZMPSTE24 is mutated in mandibuloacral dysplasia.
- Agarwal AK, Fryns J-P, Auchus RJ, Garg A Hum Mol Genet 2003 12 1995-2001
- AGPAT2 is mutated in congenital generalized lipodystrophy linked to chromosome 9q34.
- Agarwal AK, Arioglu E, Almeida S, Akkoc N, Taylor SI, Bowcock AM, Barnes RI Garg A, Nature Genetics 2002 31 21-23
- Human hypertension caused by mutations in the kidney isozyme of 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase.
- Mune T, Rogerson RM, Nikkila H, Agarwal AK, White PC Nat Genet 1995 10 394-399
- NAD+-dependent isoform of 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
- Agarwal AK, Mune T, Monder C, White PC J Biol Chem 1994 269 25959-25962
- Cloning and expression of rat cDNA encoding corticosteroid 11β- dehydrogenase.
- Agarwal AK, Monder C, Eckstein B, White PC. J Biol Chem 1989 264 18939-18943
- Mislocalization of prelamin A Tyr646Phe mutant to the nuclear pore complex in human embryonic kidney 293 cells.
- Pan Y, Garg A, Agarwal AK. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. March 2007 355(1) 78-84
- Cofactors, redox state, and directional preferences of hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases.
- Sherbet DP, Papari-Zareei M, Khan N, Sharma KK, Brandmaier A, Rambally S, Chattopadhyay A, Andersson S, Agarwal AK, Auchus RJ. Mol Cell Endocrinol. February 2007 265-266 83-8
- Functional characterization of human 1-Acylglycerol-3-Phosphate-O- acyltransferase isoform 9: cloning, tissue distribution, gene structure and enzymatic activity.
- Agarwal AK, Sukumaran S, Bartz R, Barnes RI, Garg A J Endocrinol 2007 193 445-457
- A homozygous ZMPSTE24 null mutation in combination with a heterozygous mutation in the LMNA gene causes Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome (HGPS): insights into the pathophysiology of HGPS.
- Denecke J, Brune T, Feldhaus T, Robenek H, Kranz C, Auchus RJ, Agarwal AK, Marquardt T. Hum Mutat. June 2006 27(6) 524-31
- Functional characterization of human 1-acylglycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase isoform 8: cloning, tissue distribution, gene structure, and enzymatic activity.
- Agarwal AK, Barnes RI, Garg A. Arch Biochem Biophys. May 2006 449(1-2) 64-7
Honors & Awards
- Member, Editorial Board
Molecular Nutrition and Food Research (2007)
- Member, Editorial Board
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (2006)
- Member, Reviewer Panel
American Journal of Physiology:Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology (2006)
- Abstract to the Endocrine Society
Honored for presentation as a Presidential Selection (1990)
- CIBA Bursary
CIBA Foundation, UK (1984)
- The Endocrine Society