Dr. Jasmin Tiro received her PhD in Behavioral Sciences from the University of Texas School of Public Health (UTSPH) and completed post-doctoral training with the National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program. In April 2008, Dr. Tiro joined the faculty at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and holds an adjoint appointment in the University of Texas-School of Public Health for the Dallas Regional Campus. Currently, Dr. Tiro is an Associate Professor in the Division of Behavioral and Communication Sciences, Department of Clinical Sciences. In the NCI-designated Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, Dr. Tiro serves as is co-leader of Population Science and Cancer Control Program with Dr. Ethan Halm (http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/simmons/research/scientific-programs/population-science/index.html).
Dr. Tiro's program focuses on multi-level intervention research directed at cancer prevention and early detection behaviors specifically among underserved populations seen by urban safety-net healthcare systems. She uses health behavior theories and health services conceptual models to identify novel patient-, provider-, and system-level intervention targets. Dr. Tiro’s work leverages quantitative and qualitative (mixed) research methods to design and evaluate behavioral interventions. She is committed toward disseminating behavioral interventions aimed at ending cancer disparities.
In terms of grant funding, Dr. Tiro is MPI on an NCI award (R01 CA178414) using mixed methods to develop a tablet-based self persuasion intervention addressing parental indecision and promoting adolescent HPV vaccination. Along with Drs. Celette Sugg Skinner and Ethan Halm, Dr. Tiro leads the Parkland-UT Southwestern PROSPR Center (U54 CA163308-S1) to understand and optimize delivery of cervical and colorectal cancer screening processes. With colleagues at University of Washington and Group Health Research Institute, Dr. Tiro is collaborating on a large, pragmatic randomized controlled intervention trial of a mailed HPV self-screening kit to increase screening rates among overdue women (R01 CA168598-A1).
- Rice University (1997), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Emory University (1999), Behavioral Science
- Graduate School
- Univ of Texas Health Science C (2005), Behavioral Science
- Cancer Health Disparities
- Cancer Screening
- HPV vaccine
- Mixed Methods Research
- Interventions to promote repeat breast cancer screening with mammography: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Vernon SW, McQueen A, Tiro JA, del Junco DJ J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2010 Jul 102 14 1023-39
- Too much of a good thing? Physician practices and patient willingness for less frequent pap test screening intervals.
- Meissner HI, Tiro JA, Yabroff KR, Haggstrom DA, Coughlin SS Med Care 2010 Mar 48 3 249-59
- Construct validity of a mammography processes of change scale and invariance by stage of change.
- Pruitt SL, McQueen A, Tiro JA, Rakowski W, Diclemente CC, Vernon SW J Health Psychol 2010 Jan 15 1 64-74
- One in four California adolescent girls have had human papillomavirus vaccination.
- Grant D, Kravitz-Wirtz N, Breen N, Tiro JA, Tsui J Policy Brief UCLA Cent Health Policy Res 2009 Feb PB2009-3 1-6
- Does patient health and hysterectomy status influence cervical cancer screening in older women?
- Meissner HI, Tiro JA, Haggstrom D, Lu-Yao G, Breen N J Gen Intern Med 2008 Nov 23 11 1822-8
- Mediating factors in the relationship between income and mammography use in low-income insured women.
- Park AN, Buist DS, Tiro JA, Taplin SH J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2008 Oct 17 8 1371-8
- Reliability and validity of a questionnaire to measure colorectal cancer screening behaviors: does mode of survey administration matter?
- Vernon SW, Tiro JA, Vojvodic RW, Coan S, Diamond PM, Greisinger A, Fernandez ME Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Apr 17 4 758-67
- Promoting regular mammography screening II. Results from a randomized controlled trial in US women veterans.
- Vernon SW, del Junco DJ, Tiro JA, Coan SP, Perz CA, Bastian LA, Rakowski W, Chan W, Lairson DR, McQueen A, Fernandez ME, Warrick C, Halder A, DiClemente C J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2008 Mar 100 5 347-58
- Promoting regular mammography screening I. A systematic assessment of validity in a randomized trial.
- del Junco DJ, Vernon SW, Coan SP, Tiro JA, Bastian LA, Savas LS, Perz CA, Lairson DR, Chan W, Warrick C, McQueen A, Rakowski W J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2008 Mar 100 5 333-46
- Reported drop in mammography : is this cause for concern?
- Breen N, A Cronin K, Meissner HI, Taplin SH, Tangka FK, Tiro JA, McNeel TS Cancer 2007 Jun 109 12 2405-9
Honors & Awards
- Deans Capstone Recognition Award, Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments Program, UT Southwestern
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Center for Translational Medicine, UT Southwestern
- NCI Prevention Research Training Merit Award
- American Association for Cancer Research-American Cancer Society Scholarship for Behavioral Scientists
- Fellows Award for Research Excellence, National Institutes of Health
- International Papillomavirus Society (2015)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2008)
- American Society of Preventive Oncology (2005)
- Society of Behavioral Medicine (2005)
- American Public Health Association (1997)