Dr. Jasmin Tiro received her PhD in Behavioral Sciences from the University of Texas School of Public Health (UTSPH) and completed post-doctoral training with the National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program. In April 2008, Dr. Tiro joined the faculty at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and holds an adjoint appointment in the University of Texas-School of Public Health for the Dallas Regional Campus. Currently, Dr. Tiro is an Associate Professor in the Division of Behavioral and Communication Sciences, Department of Population and Data Sciences. In the NCI-designated Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, Dr. Tiro serves as Associate Director for Community Outreach, Engagement, and Equity.
Dr. Tiro's program focuses on multi-level intervention research directed at cancer prevention and early detection behaviors specifically among underserved populations seen by urban safety-net healthcare systems. She uses health behavior theories and health services conceptual models to identify novel patient-, provider-, and system-level intervention targets. Dr. Tiro’s work leverages quantitative and qualitative (mixed) research methods to design and evaluate behavioral interventions. She is committed toward disseminating behavioral interventions aimed at ending cancer disparities.
In terms of grant funding, Dr. Tiro is the Contact Principal Investigator for the PROSPR II METRICS Cervical Research Center (1UM1CA221940) to understand and optimize delivery of the cervical cancer screening process. With colleagues at University of Washington and Kaiser Permanente Washington Research Institute, Dr. Tiro is collaborating on a large, pragmatic randomized controlled intervention trial of a mailed HPV self-screening kit to increase screening rates (1R01CA240375-01).
- Rice University (1997), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Emory University (1999), Behavioral Science
- Graduate School
- Univ of Tx Health Science Ctr (2005), Behavioral Science
- Cancer Health Disparities
- Cancer Screening
- HPV vaccine
- Mixed Methods Research
- Social disadvantage, healthcare utilization, and colorectal cancer screening: Leveraging longitudinal patient address and electronic health records data.
- Hughes AE, Tiro JA, Balasubramanian BA, Skinner CS, Pruitt SL Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2018 Aug
- Mailed Outreach Invitations Significantly Improve HCC Surveillance Rates in Patients with Cirrhosis: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Singal AG, Tiro JA, Murphy CC, Marrero JA, McCallister K, Fullington H, Mejias C, Waljee AK, Pechero Bishop W, Santini NO, Halm EA Hepatology 2018 Aug
- Reducing "I Don't Know" Responses and Missing Survey Data: Implications for Measurement.
- Denman DC, Baldwin AS, Betts AC, McQueen A, Tiro JA Med Decis Making 2018 Jun 272989X18785159
- Cervical cancer screening among HIV infected women in an urban, U.S. safety-net healthcare system.
- Barnes A, Betts AC, Borton EK, Sanders JM, Pruitt SL, Werner C, Bran A, Estelle CD, Balasubramanian BA, Inrig SJ, Halm EA, Skinner CS, Tiro JA AIDS 2018 May
- Advancing Human Papillomavirus Vaccine Delivery: 12 Priority Research Gaps.
- Reiter PL, Gerend MA, Gilkey MB, Perkins RB, Saslow D, Stokley S, Tiro JA, Zimet GD, Brewer NT Acad Pediatr 2018 Mar 18 2S S14-S16
- Identifying quality improvement targets to facilitate colorectal cancer screening completion.
- Lee SJC, Inrig SJ, Balasubramanian BA, Skinner CS, Higashi RT, McCallister K, Bishop WP, Santini NO, Tiro JA Prev Med Rep 2018 Mar 9 138-143
- Rationale and design of the HOME trial: A pragmatic randomized controlled trial of home-based human papillomavirus (HPV) self-sampling for increasing cervical cancer screening uptake and effectiveness in a U.S. healthcare system.
- Winer RL, Tiro JA, Miglioretti DL, Thayer C, Beatty T, Lin J, Gao H, Kimbel K, Buist DSM Contemp Clin Trials 2017 Nov
- Effect of Colonoscopy Outreach vs Fecal Immunochemical Test Outreach on Colorectal Cancer Screening Completion: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Singal AG, Gupta S, Skinner CS, Ahn C, Santini NO, Agrawal D, Mayorga CA, Murphy C, Tiro JA, McCallister K, Sanders JM, Bishop WP, Loewen AC, Halm EA JAMA 2017 09 318 9 806-815
- Primary care visit use after positive fecal immunochemical test for colorectal cancer screening.
- Hillyer GC, Jensen CD, Zhao WK, Neugut AI, Lebwohl B, Tiro JA, Kushi LH, Corley DA Cancer 2017 Jun
- Deconstructing Decisions to Initiate, Maintain, or Discontinue Adjuvant Endocrine Therapy in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Mixed-Methods Study.
- Bluethmann SM, Murphy CC, Tiro JA, Mollica MA, Vernon SW, Bartholomew LK Oncol Nurs Forum 2017 May 44 3 E101-E110
Honors & Awards
- Bill Aston Award for Quality, given to Parkland Health & Hospital System and UT Southwestern for Adolescent HPV vaccination Research/Quality Improvement Partnership
- Deans Capstone Recognition Award, Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments Program, UT Southwestern
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Center for Translational Medicine, UT Southwestern
- NCI Prevention Research Training Merit Award
- American Association for Cancer Research-American Cancer Society Scholarship for Behavioral Scientists
- Fellows Award for Research Excellence, National Institutes of Health
- International Papillomavirus Society (2015)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2008)
- American Society of Preventive Oncology (2005)
- Society of Behavioral Medicine (2005)
- American Public Health Association (1997)