Dr. Jasmin Tiro received her PhD in Behavioral Sciences from the University of Texas School of Public Health (UTSPH) and completed post-doctoral training with the National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program. In April 2008, Dr. Tiro joined the faculty at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and holds an adjoint appointment in the University of Texas-School of Public Health for the Dallas Regional Campus. Currently, Dr. Tiro is an Associate Professor in the Division of Behavioral and Communication Sciences, Department of Clinical Sciences. In the NCI-designated Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, Dr. Tiro serves as is co-leader of Population Science and Cancer Control Program with Dr. Ethan Halm (http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/simmons/research/scientific-programs/population-science/index.html).
Dr. Tiro's program focuses on multi-level intervention research directed at cancer prevention and early detection behaviors specifically among underserved populations seen by urban safety-net healthcare systems. She uses health behavior theories and health services conceptual models to identify novel patient-, provider-, and system-level intervention targets. Dr. Tiro’s work leverages quantitative and qualitative (mixed) research methods to design and evaluate behavioral interventions. She is committed toward disseminating behavioral interventions aimed at ending cancer disparities.
In terms of grant funding, Dr. Tiro is MPI on an NCI award (R01 CA178414) using mixed methods to develop a tablet-based self persuasion intervention addressing parental indecision and promoting adolescent HPV vaccination. Along with Drs. Celette Sugg Skinner and Ethan Halm, Dr. Tiro leads the Parkland-UT Southwestern PROSPR Center (U54 CA163308-S1) to understand and optimize delivery of cervical and colorectal cancer screening processes. With colleagues at University of Washington and Group Health Research Institute, Dr. Tiro is collaborating on a large, pragmatic randomized controlled intervention trial of a mailed HPV self-screening kit to increase screening rates among overdue women (R01 CA168598-A1).
- Rice University (1997), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Emory University (1999), Behavioral Science
- Graduate School
- Univ of Texas Health Science C (2005), Behavioral Science
- Cancer Health Disparities
- Cancer Screening
- HPV vaccine
- Mixed Methods Research
- Early detection, curative treatment, and survival rates for hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance in patients with cirrhosis: a meta-analysis.
- Singal AG, Pillai A, Tiro J PLoS Med. 2014 Apr 11 4 e1001624
- Comparative effectiveness of fecal immunochemical test outreach, colonoscopy outreach, and usual care for boosting colorectal cancer screening among the underserved: a randomized clinical trial.
- Gupta S, Halm EA, Rockey DC, Hammons M, Koch M, Carter E, Valdez L, Tong L, Ahn C, Kashner M, Argenbright K, Tiro J, Geng Z, Pruitt S, Skinner CS JAMA Intern Med 2013 Oct 173 18 1725-32
- Therapeutic Delays Lead to Worse Survival Among Patients With Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Singal AG, Waljee AK, Patel N, Chen EY, Tiro JA, Marrero JA, Yopp AC J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2013 Sep 11 9 1101-1108
- Validity of self-reported genetic counseling and genetic testing use among breast cancer survivors.
- Hamann HA, Tiro JA, Sanders JM, Melhado TV, Funk RK, Carpentier MY, Bartholomew LK, Argenbright KE, Vernon SW J Cancer Surviv 2013 Aug
- Human Papillomavirus Vaccine Coverage Among Females Aged 11 to 17 in Texas Counties: An Application of Multilevel, Small Area Estimation.
- Eberth JM, Hossain MM, Tiro JA, Zhang X, Holt JB, Vernon SW Womens Health Issues 2013 Mar 23 2 e131-41
- Are cancer registries a viable tool for cancer survivor outreach? A feasibility study.
- Carpentier MY, Tiro JA, Savas LS, Bartholomew LK, Melhado TV, Coan SP, Argenbright KE, Vernon SW J Cancer Surviv 2013 Mar 7 1 155-63
- Effects of socioeconomic status and health care access on low levels of human papillomavirus vaccination among Spanish-speaking Hispanics in California.
- Chando S, Tiro JA, Harris TR, Kobrin S, Breen N Am J Public Health 2013 Feb 103 2 270-2
- Correlates of self-reported colorectal cancer screening accuracy in a multi-specialty medical group practice.
- White A, Vernon SW, Eberth JM, Tiro JA, Coan SP, Abotchie PN, Greisinger A Open J Epidemiol 2013 Feb 3 1 20-24
- Detection of Hepatocellular Carcinoma at Advanced Stages Among Patients in the HALT-C Trial: Where Did Surveillance Fail?
- Singal AG, Nehra M, Adams-Huet B, Yopp AC, Tiro JA, Marrero JA, Lok AS, Lee WM Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2013 Jan
- Improving Hepatocellular Carcinoma Screening: Applying Lessons From Colorectal Cancer Screening.
- Singal AG, Tiro JA, Gupta S Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2012 Nov
Honors & Awards
- Deans Capstone Recognition Award, Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments Program, UT Southwestern
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Center for Translational Medicine, UT Southwestern
- NCI Prevention Research Training Merit Award
- American Association for Cancer Research-American Cancer Society Scholarship for Behavioral Scientists
- Fellows Award for Research Excellence, National Institutes of Health
- International Papillomavirus Society (2015)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2008)
- American Society of Preventive Oncology (2005)
- Society of Behavioral Medicine (2005)
- American Public Health Association (1997)