Anil Makam, M.D., M.A.S., originally hails from Southern California. Following internal medicine residency at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, he completed a primary care research fellowship at the University of California San Francisco. He is a general internist with a clinical focus on hospital care. Motivated directly by his clinical experiences, Dr. Makam’s research interests include quality and appropriateness of care for common medical illnesses and the effect of health information technology on clinical practice. Dr. Makam brings to UT Southwestern a strong background in general internal medicine, epidemiology, health services research, and evidence-based medicine. Outside of medicine, his interests include traveling, reading, enjoying good food and good company, and when in shape, hiking and playing tennis.
- Medical School
- Drexel University College of Medicine (2007)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2010), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine (2013), Master of Advanced Studies
- University of California San Francisco Medical Cen (2013), Internal Medicine
- Applied Health Information Technology
- Epidemiology, outcomes, and health services research
- High Value Care
- Post-acute Care in the Elderly
- The Diagnostic Cascade of Incidental Findings: A Teachable Moment.
- Nguyen LT, Sullivan CT, Makam AN JAMA Intern Med 2015 May
- Diagnostic accuracy and effectiveness of automated electronic sepsis alert systems: A systematic review.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK, Auerbach AD J Hosp Med 2015 Mar
- Trends in Long-Term Acute Care Hospital Use in Texas from 2002-2011.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK, Zhou J, Ottenbacher KJ, Halm EA Ann Gerontol Geriatr Res 2015 2 3
- Use of Cardiac Biomarker Testing in the Emergency Department.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK JAMA Intern Med 2014 Nov
- Envisioning a Social-Health Information Exchange as a Platform to Support a Patient-Centered Medical Neighborhood: A Feasibility Study.
- Nguyen OK, Chan CV, Makam A, Stieglitz H, Amarasingham R J Gen Intern Med 2014 Aug
- Risk of Thiazide-Induced Metabolic Adverse Events in Older Adults.
- Makam AN, John Boscardin W, Miao Y, Steinman MA J Am Geriatr Soc 2014 May
- Blood culture use in the emergency department in patients hospitalized with respiratory symptoms due to a nonpneumonia illness.
- Makam AN, Auerbach AD, Steinman MA J Hosp Med 2014 Apr
- Blood Culture Use in the Emergency Department in Patients Hospitalized for Community-Acquired Pneumonia.
- Makam AN, Auerbach AD, Steinman MA JAMA Intern Med 2014 Mar
- Factors associated with primary vein graft occlusion in a multicenter trial with mandated ultrasound surveillance.
- Oresanya L, Makam AN, Belkin M, Moneta GL, Conte MS J. Vasc. Surg. 2013 Dec
- The good, the bad and the early adopters: providers' attitudes about a common, commercial EHR.
- Makam AN, Lanham HJ, Batchelor K, Moran B, Howell-Stampley T, Kirk L, Cherukuri M, Samal L, Santini N, Leykum LK, Halm EA J Eval Clin Pract 2013 Aug
Honors & Awards
- Journal of Hospital Medicine
Associate Editor (2015-2016)
- Finalist, Hamolsky Junior Faculty Research Award
Best Research Presentation at 2014 SGIM National Meeting (2014)
- NCATS/NIH KL2 Clinical Scholar
NIH-funded mentored career development program scholar (2014-2016)
- NHLBI/NIH Loan Repayment Program Award
- Best Research Poster
California-Hawaii Regional SGIM Meeting (2013)
- Lipkin Award Finalist
Best oral presentation by a junior investigator, SGIM Annual Meeting (2013)
- Best Oral Presentation by a Junior Investigator
Bay Area Clinical Research Symposium (2012)
- American Geriatric Society (2015)
- Society of Hospital Medicine (2015)
- Society of General Internal Medicine (2010)