Anil Makam, M.D., M.A.S., originally hails from Southern California. Following an Internal Medicine residency at the UT Southwestern Medical Center, he completed a Primary Care research fellowship at the University of California San Francisco, where he earned a Master’s in clinical research. He is a general internist with a clinical focus on hospital care. Motivated directly by his clinical experiences, Dr. Makam’s research interests include quality, outcomes, and comparative effectiveness for common illnesses. His research program is funded by the National Institute on Aging to study post-acute care in the elderly, with a focus on long-term acute care hospitals. Dr. Makam brings to UT Southwestern a strong background in general internal medicine, epidemiology, health services research, and evidence-based medicine. Outside of medicine, his interests include traveling, reading, enjoying good food and good company, and when in shape, hiking and playing tennis.
- Medical School
- Drexel University College of Medicine (2007)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2010), Internal Medicine
- University of California San Francisco Medical Cen (2013), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine (2013), Master of Advanced Studies
- Applied Health Information Technology
- Epidemiology, outcomes, and health services research
- High Value Care
- Post-acute Care in the Elderly
- Incidence, Predictors, and Outcomes of Hospital-Acquired Anemia.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK, Clark C, Halm EA J Hosp Med 2017 May 12 5 317-322
- An Evidence-Based Medicine Approach to Antihyperglycemic Therapy in Diabetes Mellitus to Overcome Overtreatment.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK Circulation 2017 Jan 135 2 180-195
- Vital Signs Are Still Vital: Instability on Discharge and the Risk of Post-Discharge Adverse Outcomes.
- Nguyen OK, Makam AN, Clark C, Zhang S, Xie B, Velasco F, Amarasingham R, Halm EA J Gen Intern Med 2016 Aug
- Clinical Criteria to Identify Patients With Sepsis.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK JAMA 2016 Jul 316 4 453
- Relationship between hospital financial performance and publicly reported outcomes.
- Nguyen OK, Halm EA, Makam AN J Hosp Med 2016 Feb
- Trends in Long-Term Acute Care Hospital Use in Texas from 2002-2011.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK, Zhou J, Ottenbacher KJ, Halm EA Ann Gerontol Geriatr Res 2015 2 3
- Use of Cardiac Biomarker Testing in the Emergency Department.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK JAMA Intern Med 2014 Nov
- Risk of Thiazide-Induced Metabolic Adverse Events in Older Adults.
- Makam AN, John Boscardin W, Miao Y, Steinman MA J Am Geriatr Soc 2014 May
- Blood Culture Use in the Emergency Department in Patients Hospitalized for Community-Acquired Pneumonia.
- Makam AN, Auerbach AD, Steinman MA JAMA Intern Med 2014 Mar
- Identifying patients with diabetes and the earliest date of diagnosis in real time: an electronic health record case-finding algorithm.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK, Moore B, Ma Y, Amarasingham R BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 2013 13 81
Honors & Awards
- BSHSR Abstract Scholarship Award
American Thoracic Society (2016)
- GEMSSTAR Scholar
- Finalist, Hamolsky Junior Faculty Research Award
Best Research Presentation at 2014 SGIM National Meeting (2014)
- NCATS/NIH KL2 Clinical Scholar
NIH-funded mentored career development program scholar (2014-2016)
- NHLBI/NIH Loan Repayment Program Award
- Best Research Poster
California-Hawaii Regional SGIM Meeting (2013)
- Lipkin Award Finalist
Best oral presentation by a junior investigator, SGIM Annual Meeting (2013)
- Best Oral Presentation by a Junior Investigator
Bay Area Clinical Research Symposium (2012)
- American Geriatric Society (2015)
- Journal of Hospital Medicine (2015-2017)
- Society of Hospital Medicine (2015)
- Society of General Internal Medicine (2010)