Anil Makam, M.D., M.A.S., originally hails from Southern California. Following internal medicine residency at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, he completed a primary care research fellowship at the University of California San Francisco. He is a general internist with a clinical focus on hospital care. Motivated directly by his clinical experiences, Dr. Makam’s research interests include quality and appropriateness of care for common medical illnesses and the effect of health information technology on clinical practice. Dr. Makam brings to UT Southwestern a strong background in general internal medicine, epidemiology, health services research, and evidence-based medicine. Outside of medicine, his interests include traveling, reading, enjoying good food and good company, and when in shape, hiking and playing tennis.
- Medical School
- Drexel University College of Medicine (2007)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2010), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine (2013), Master of Advanced Studies
- University of California San Francisco Medical Cen (2013), Internal Medicine
- Epidemiology, outcomes, and health services research
- Health information technology
- Quality and appropriateness of care
- Use of Cardiac Biomarker Testing in the Emergency Department.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK JAMA Intern Med 2014 Nov
- Envisioning a Social-Health Information Exchange as a Platform to Support a Patient-Centered Medical Neighborhood: A Feasibility Study.
- Nguyen OK, Chan CV, Makam A, Stieglitz H, Amarasingham R J Gen Intern Med 2014 Aug
- Risk of Thiazide-Induced Metabolic Adverse Events in Older Adults.
- Makam AN, John Boscardin W, Miao Y, Steinman MA J Am Geriatr Soc 2014 May
- Blood culture use in the emergency department in patients hospitalized with respiratory symptoms due to a nonpneumonia illness.
- Makam AN, Auerbach AD, Steinman MA J Hosp Med 2014 Apr
- Blood Culture Use in the Emergency Department in Patients Hospitalized for Community-Acquired Pneumonia.
- Makam AN, Auerbach AD, Steinman MA JAMA Intern Med 2014 Mar
- Factors associated with primary vein graft occlusion in a multicenter trial with mandated ultrasound surveillance.
- Oresanya L, Makam AN, Belkin M, Moneta GL, Conte MS J. Vasc. Surg. 2013 Dec
- The good, the bad and the early adopters: providers' attitudes about a common, commercial EHR.
- Makam AN, Lanham HJ, Batchelor K, Moran B, Howell-Stampley T, Kirk L, Cherukuri M, Samal L, Santini N, Leykum LK, Halm EA J Eval Clin Pract 2013 Aug
- Use and satisfaction with key functions of a common commercial electronic health record: a survey of primary care providers.
- Makam AN, Lanham HJ, Batchelor K, Samal L, Moran B, Howell-Stampley T, Kirk L, Cherukuri M, Santini N, Leykum LK, Halm EA BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 2013 13 86
- Identifying patients with diabetes and the earliest date of diagnosis in real time: an electronic health record case-finding algorithm.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK, Moore B, Ma Y, Amarasingham R BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 2013 13 81
Honors & Awards
- Finalist, Hamolsky Junior Faculty Research Award
Best Resaerch PResentation at 2014 SGIM National Meeting (2014)
- NCATS/NIH KL2 Clinical Scholar
NIH-funded mentored career development program scholar (2014-2016)
- NHLBI/NIH Loan Repayment Program Award
- Best Research Poster
California-Hawaii Regional SGIM Meeting (2013)
- Lipkin Award Finalist
Best oral presentation by a junior investigator, SGIM Annual Meeting (2013)
- Best Oral Presentation by a Junior Investigator
Bay Area Clinical Research Symposium (2012)
- Society of General Internal Medicine (2010)