Dr. Flores is Professor of Pediatrics, Clinical Sciences, and Public Health; Director of the Division of General Pediatrics; the Judith and Charles Ginsburg Endowed Chair in Pediatrics; and the Director of the Academic General Pediatrics Fellowship at UT Southwestern and Children’s Medical Center Dallas. He is a member of the Council of the American Pediatric Society, past Chair of the Research Committee of the Academic Pediatric Association, and a former member of the US Preventive Services Task Force. He is a member of the editorial board of Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, and the National Advisory Committees of the Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ) Amos Medical Faculty Development and RWJ Aligning Forces for Quality Programs. He has provided two Congressional Research Briefings, testified in the US Senate, provided invited written testimony for the US House of Representatives and Means Committee, and recently presented a briefing to the Department of Health and Human Services and the Administration for Children and Families. He was an invited speaker at the National Summit on America’s Children convened by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi. He has served as a consultant and national advisory committee member for the US Surgeon General, Institute of Medicine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institute of Child Health & Human Development (NICHD), American Medical Association, National Hispanic Medical Association, First Focus, the DHHS Office of Civil Rights, and the Sesame Street Workshop.
He received the 2006 American Academy of Pediatrics Outstanding Achievement Award in the Application of Epidemiologic Information to Child Health Advocacy, the 2008 Millie and Richard Brock Award for Distinguished Contributions to Pediatrics, the 2010 Helen Rodríguez-Trías Social Justice Award from the American Public Health Association, and the 2012 Academic Pediatric Association’s Research Award. He has been awarded major grant funding by NICHD, AHRQ, CMS, RWJ Foundation, and the Commonwealth Fund. He has published 191 articles and book chapters on a variety of topics, including many papers that address underserved children and racial/ethnic and linguistic disparities in children’s health and healthcare.
|Medical School||University of California, San Francisco (1989)|
|Internship||New York Presbyterian Hospital - Weill Cornell (1990), Pediatrics|
|Residency||New York Presbyterian Hospital - Weill Cornell (1992), Pediatrics|
|Fellowship||Yale University, RWJ Clinical Scholars Program (1995), Clinical Research|
- Pediatric Care
- Community-based interventions for improving the health and healthcare of underserved children
- Insuring uninsured children
- Language, culture, and healthcare
- Racial/ethnic disparities in children's health and health care
- Testing innovative interventions for chronic disease management
- Improving asthma outcomes in minority children
- Flores G, Snowden-Bridon C, Torres S, Perez R, Walter T, Brotanek J, Lin H, Tomany-Korman S. Pediatrics 2009 124 1522-1532
- Racial and ethnic disparities in early childhood health and healthcare
- Flores G, Olson L, Tomany-Korman SC Pediatrics 2005 115 e183-e193
- A randomized trial of the effectiveness of community-based case management in insuring uninsured Latino children
- Flores G, Abreu M, Chaisson CE, Meyers A, Sachdeva RC, Fernandez H, Francisco P, Diaz AM, Santos-Guerrero I Pediatrics 2005 116 1433-1441
- Errors in medical interpretation and their potential clinical consequences in pediatric encounters
- Flores G, Laws MB, Mayo SJ, et al. Pediatrics 2003 111 6-14
- Keeping children out of hospitals: Parents’ and physicians’ perspectives on how pediatric hospitalizations for ambulatory sensitive conditions can be avoided
- Flores G, Abreu M, Chaisson CE, Sun D Pediatrics 2003 112 1021-1030
- Trends in Risk and Protective Factors for Child Bullying Perpetration in the United States.
- Shetgiri R, Lin H, Flores G Child psychiatry and human development 2012 Jun
- Factors associated with human papillomavirus vaccine-series initiation and healthcare provider recommendation in US adolescent females: 2007 National Survey of Children's Health.
- Lau M, Lin H, Flores G Vaccine 2012 Apr 30 20 3112-8
- Errors of Medical Interpretation and Their Potential Clinical Consequences: A Comparison of Professional Versus Ad Hoc Versus No Interpreters.
- Flores G, Abreu M, Barone CP, Bachur R, Lin H Annals of emergency medicine 2012 Mar
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Health and Health Care among U.S. Adolescents.
- Lau M, Lin H, Flores G Health services research 2012 Mar
- Making Tortillas without Lard: Latino Parents' Perspectives on Healthy Eating, Physical Activity, and Weight-Management Strategies for Overweight Latino Children.
- Flores G, Maldonado J, Durán P J Am Diet Assoc 2011 Nov
Honors & Awards
- 2012 Academic Pediatric Association Research Award
- Helen Rodriguez-Trias Social Justice Award from the American Public Health Association
- 2006 American Academy of Pediatrics Outstanding Achievement Award in the Application of Epidemiologic Information in Child Health Advocacy
- Invited speaker/panelist, US Surgeon General’ Workshop on Improving Health Literacy, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- Congressional Research Briefing on a successful intervention to insure uninsured children, Washington, DC
- Invited testimony on Latino children’s health in United States Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, Washington, DC
- Council of the American Pediatric Society (APS) (2013)
- Ambulatory Pediatric Association
- American Public Health Association
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Fellow, Society of Pediatric Research