Changho Choi, Ph.D., received his Bachelor of Science degree in 1987 from Korea University, South Korea. He then earned a Ph.D. from the University of Waterloo, Canada, where he used nuclear magnetic resonance for studying quantum tunneling of protons at low temperatures. Following several years of research in in-vivo MR spectroscopy (MRS), he joined the Advanced Imaging Research Center at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2007.
Dr. Choi’s research has been focused on both technical and clinical developments of MR spectroscopy in brain tumors and neuropsychiatric disorders. MRS methodology development has been carried out to provide meaningful measurements of clinically-important hard-to-detect brain metabolites, including 2-hydroxyglutarate (2HG), citrate, GABA, glycine, glutamate and glutamine, etc. Specifically, 2HG, which is a direct consequence of IDH mutation in gliomas, appears to be an unprecedented imaging biomarker in brain tumors.
Research is going on to accomplish a fast, high-precision 2HG imaging modality, in parallel with translation of previously-developed methods into clinics. The clinical utility of 2HG, glycine and citrate in brain tumors is investigated in collaboration with neuro-oncologists. Also, several MRS studies are conducted to evaluate the alterations in metabolic profiles in neurological diseases, including schizophrenia, asthma and autism, in collaboration with psychiatrists.
- Korea University (1987), Physics
- Graduate School
- Korea University (1989)
- Graduate School
- Unlisted - International Colle (1996), Physics
- Applications of MRS in cancer and neuropsychiatric diseases
- In vivo 1H and 13C MR spectroscopy
- Quantum mechanical simulations of spin dynamics
- RF pulse and MRS sequence design
- In vivo detection of 2-hydroxyglutarate in brain tumors by optimized point-resolved spectroscopy (PRESS) at 7T.
- Ganji SK, An Z, Tiwari V, McNeil S, Pinho MC, Pan E, Mickey BE, Maher EA, Choi C Magn Reson Med 2016 Mar
- In vivo (1) H MRSI of glycine in brain tumors at 3T.
- Ganji SK, Maher EA, Choi C Magn Reson Med 2015 Feb
- 2-hydroxyglutarate detection by magnetic resonance spectroscopy in IDH-mutated patients with gliomas.
- Choi C, Ganji SK, DeBerardinis RJ, Hatanpaa KJ, Rakheja D, Kovacs Z, Yang XL, Mashimo T, Raisanen JM, Marin-Valencia I, Pascual JM, Madden CJ, Mickey BE, Malloy CR, Bachoo RM, Maher EA Nat. Med. 2012 Apr 18 4 624-9
- Integration of 2-hydroxyglutarate-proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy into clinical practice for disease monitoring in isocitrate dehydrogenase-mutant glioma.
- de la Fuente MI, Young RJ, Rubel J, Rosenblum M, Tisnado J, Briggs S, Arevalo-Perez J, Cross JR, Campos C, Straley K, Zhu D, Dong C, Thomas A, Omuro AA, Nolan CP, Pentsova E, Kaley TJ, Oh JH, Noeske R, Maher E, Choi C, Gutin PH, Holodny AI, Yen K, DeAngelis LM, Mellinghoff IK, Thakur SB Neuro-oncology 2015 Dec
- (1) H MRS characterization of neurochemical profiles in orthotopic mouse models of human brain tumors.
- Hulsey KM, Mashimo T, Banerjee A, Soesbe TC, Spence JS, Vemireddy V, Maher EA, Bachoo RM, Choi C NMR Biomed 2014 Nov
- Measurement of regional variation of GABA in the human brain by optimized point-resolved spectroscopy at 7?T in vivo.
- Ganji SK, An Z, Banerjee A, Madan A, Hulsey KM, Choi C NMR Biomed 2014 Aug
- Proton T2 measurement and quantification of lactate in brain tumors by MRS at 3 Tesla in vivo.
- Madan A, Ganji SK, An Z, Choe KS, Pinho MC, Bachoo RM, Maher EM, Choi C Magn Reson Med 2014 Jul
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopy and tissue protein concentrations together suggest lower glutamate signaling in dentate gyrus in schizophrenia.
- Stan AD, Ghose S, Zhao C, Hulsey K, Mihalakos P, Yanagi M, Morris SU, Bartko JJ, Choi C, Tamminga CA Mol. Psychiatry 2014 Jun
- In vivo detection of citrate in brain tumors by (1) H magnetic resonance spectroscopy at 3T.
- Choi C, Ganji SK, Madan A, Hulsey KM, An Z, Zhang S, Pinho MC, Deberardinis RJ, Bachoo RM, Maher EA Magn Reson Med 2013 Oct
- A comparative study of short- and long-TE (1) H MRS at 3 T for in vivo detection of 2-hydroxyglutarate in brain tumors.
- Choi C, Ganji S, Hulsey K, Madan A, Kovacs Z, Dimitrov I, Zhang S, Pichumani K, Mendelsohn D, Mickey B, Malloy C, Bachoo R, Deberardinis R, Maher E NMR Biomed 2013 Apr