Dr. Dunbar is originally from Texas and graduated from UT Southwestern Medical School. She completed her internal medicine residency at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland and was selected to be an Assistant Chief of Service for the program. Her gastroenterology and hepatology fellowship was also at Johns Hopkins, where she received additional training in clinical research. She currently specializes in gastroenterology, with a focus on Barrett’s esophagus, gastroesophageal reflux disease, esophageal motility disorders, and novel endoscopic imaging technologies, such as confocal laser endomicroscopy.
|Undergraduate||Rice University (1995), Biochemistry|
|Medical School||University of Texas Southwestern Med Ctr Dallas (2000), Medicine|
|Graduate School||Johns Hopkins University (2012), Clinical Investigation|
- Barrett's esophagus
- Confocal laser endomicroscopy
- Esophageal motility disorders
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Controversies in Barrett Esophagus.
- Dunbar KB, Spechler SJ Mayo Clin. Proc. 2014 May
- In vivo endomicroscopy improves detection of Barrett's esophagus-related neoplasia: a multicenter international randomized controlled trial (with video).
- Canto MI, Anandasabapathy S, Brugge W, Falk GW, Dunbar KB, Zhang Z, Woods K, Almario JA, Schell U, Goldblum J, Maitra A, Montgomery E, Kiesslich R Gastrointest. Endosc. 2014 Feb 79 2 211-21
- Endoscopic eradication therapy for mucosal neoplasia in Barrett's esophagus.
- Dunbar KB Curr. Opin. Gastroenterol. 2013 Jul 29 4 446-53
- Endomicroscopy in Barrett's esophagus.
- Dunbar KB Gastrointest. Endosc. Clin. N. Am. 2013 Jul 23 3 565-79
- The risk of lymph-node metastases in patients with high-grade dysplasia or intramucosal carcinoma in Barrett's esophagus: a systematic review.
- Dunbar KB, Spechler SJ Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2012 Jun 107 6 850-62; quiz 863
- Endomicroscopy in the evaluation of Barrett's esophagus.
- Dunbar KB Curr. Opin. Gastroenterol. 2011 Jul 27 4 374-82
- A comparative evaluation of single-balloon enteroscopy and spiral enteroscopy for patients with mid-gut disorders.
- Khashab MA, Lennon AM, Dunbar KB, Singh VK, Chandrasekhara V, Giday S, Canto MI, Buscaglia JM, Kapoor S, Shin EJ, Kalloo AN, Okolo PI Gastrointest. Endosc. 2010 Oct 72 4 766-72
- Confocal laser endomicroscopy in Barrett's esophagus and endoscopically inapparent Barrett's neoplasia: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, controlled, crossover trial.
- Dunbar KB, Okolo P, Montgomery E, Canto MI Gastrointest. Endosc. 2009 Oct 70 4 645-54
- The spiral enteroscopy training initiative: results of a prospective study evaluating the Discovery SB overtube device during small bowel enteroscopy (with video).
- Buscaglia JM, Dunbar KB, Okolo PI, Judah J, Akerman PA, Cantero D, Draganov PV Endoscopy 2009 Mar 41 3 194-9
Confocal endomicroscopy. In Gastrointestinal Endoscopy in Practice
Dunbar KB (2011). Elsevier
Esophageal physiology, function tests, and endoscopic techniques. In Johns Hopkins Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2nd ed.
Jodorkovsky D, Clarke JO, Dunbar KB (2014). McGraw Hill Education
Honors & Awards
- Lyman E. Bilhartz, M.D. Memorial Teaching Award
UT Southwestern, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases (2013)
- UT Southwestern LEAD Program Participant
UT Southwestern Leadership Program (2012)
- World Endoscopy Organization Research Award
Awarded to young investiagor in gastroenterology for endoscopic research excellence (2011)
- Women's Leadership Award
Johns Hopkins Women's Network, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions (2005)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (2000)
- Ho Din Award of the Southwestern Medical Foundation
AWarded to outstanding medical school graduate from UT Southwestern Medical School (2000)
- American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society (2013)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2006)
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2004)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2003)