- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1989)
- Brown University School of Medicine (1992), Pediatrics
- Tufts New England Medical Center (1998), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Health outcomes measurement in children
- Liver disease in overweight children and adolescents
- Obesity in children and adolescents
- Prevalence of Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes in Children With Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- Newton KP, Hou J, Crimmins NA, Lavine JE, Barlow SE, Xanthakos SA, Africa J, Behling C, Donithan M, Clark JM, Schwimmer JB JAMA Pediatr 2016 Oct 170 10 e161971
- Lysosomal Acid Lipase Deficiency Unmasked in Two Children With Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- Himes RW, Barlow SE, Bove K, Quintanilla NM, Sheridan R, Kohli R Pediatrics 2016 Sep
- In Children with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, Cysteamine Bitartrate Delayed Release Improves Liver Enzymes but does not Reduce Disease Activity Scores.
- Schwimmer JB, Lavine JE, Wilson LA, Neuschwander-Tetri BA, Xanthakos SA, Kohli R, Barlow SE, Vos MB, Karpen SJ, Molleston JP, Whitington PF, Rosenthal P, Jain AK, Murray KF, Brunt EM, Kleiner DE, Van Natta ML, Clark JM, Tonascia J, Doo E Gastroenterology 2016 Aug
- Addressing Pediatric Obesity in Ambulatory Care: Where Are We and Where Are We Going?
- Lenders CM, Manders AJ, Perdomo JE, Ireland KA, Barlow SE Curr Obes Rep 2016 Jun 5 2 214-40
- Kamp K'aana, a 2-Week Residential Weight Management Summer Camp, Shows Long-Term Improvement in Body Mass Index z Scores.
- Farhat AE, Sharma S, Abrams SH, Wong WW, Barlow SE J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2016 Mar 62 3 491-4
- A Case of an 11-year-old With Cough, Diarrhea, and Findings of Concern in His Lungs and Spleen.
- Darby JB, Rees CA, Bocchini CE, Cruz AT, Kellermayer R, Finegold MJ, Barlow SE Pediatrics 2016 Mar 137 3 e20150155
- Improvement in liver histology is associated with reduction in dyslipidemia in children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Corey KE, Vuppalanchi R, Vos M, Kohli R, Molleston JP, Wilson L, Unalp-Arida A, Cummings OW, Lavine JE, Chalasani N J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2015 Mar 60 3 360-7
- Incorporating Primary and Secondary Prevention Approaches To Address Childhood Obesity Prevention and Treatment in a Low-Income, Ethnically Diverse Population: Study Design and Demographic Data from the Texas Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration (TX CORD) Study.
- Hoelscher DM, Butte NF, Barlow S, Vandewater EA, Sharma SV, Huang T, Finkelstein E, Pont S, Sacher P, Byrd-Williams C, Oluyomi A, Durand C, Li L, Kelder SH Child Obes 2015 Jan
- Longitudinal assessment of high blood pressure in children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Schwimmer JB, Zepeda A, Newton KP, Xanthakos SA, Behling C, Hallinan EK, Donithan M, Tonascia J PLoS ONE 2014 9 11 e112569
- Severe obesity in children and adolescents: identification, associated health risks, and treatment approaches: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.
- Kelly AS, Barlow SE, Rao G, Inge TH, Hayman LL, Steinberger J, Urbina EM, Ewing LJ, Daniels SR Circulation 2013 Oct 128 15 1689-712
Assessment of the Obese Child or Adolescent. In Kushner RF, Bessesen DH, eds. Treatment of the Obese Patient.
Barlow SE, Taylor SA, Hastings E, Garland BH. (2014). New York: Springer; 287-304.
Honors & Awards
- Jim Wright Lectureship
University of Alabama at Birmingham (2009)
- Pouncey Memorial Lectureship
Ocshner Childrens Health Center, New Orleans, LA (2009)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Heart Association; Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in the Young Committee
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Society for Pediatric Research
- The Obesity Society