Dr. Sarah Barlow received her medical degree from UT Southwestern. She completed her pediatric residency at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, and she underwent fellowship training in pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition at Tufts School of Medicine, Floating Hospital for Children in Boston, MA. She also earned a Masters in Public Health at Harvard School of Public Health in 1996. She was board certified in pediatric gastroenterology by the American Board of Pediatrics in 1997.
Dr. Barlow was assistant professor of pediatrics at Saint Louis University from 1998 to 2007, where she established a weight management program. In 2007, she joined the faculty at Baylor College of Medicine as associate professor of pediatrics and was the director of the Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Childhood Obesity. She was an investigator on the Texas Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration project, a study sponsored by the CDC that examined healthcare, school, and early childhood education programs for obesity prevention and care in low income neighborhoods. She was the site principal investigator for the NIDDK-sponsored NASH Clinical Research Network (2013-2016). She joined the pediatrics faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2016. In addition to caring for gastrointestinal conditions, Dr. Barlow oversees an integrated program in obesity care that spans community programs, primary healthcare and tertiary care.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1989)
- Brown University School of Medicine (1992), Pediatrics
- Tufts New England Medical Center (1998), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Management of obesity in children and adolescents
- NAFLD in children and adolescents
- Population health approaches to child and adolescent obesity
- NASPGHAN Clinical Practice Guideline for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Children: Recommendations from the Expert Committee on NAFLD (ECON) and the North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN).
- Vos MB, Abrams SH, Barlow SE, Caprio S, Daniels SR, Kohli R, Mouzaki M, Sathya P, Schwimmer JB, Sundaram SS, Xanthakos SA J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2017 Feb 64 2 319-334
- Prevalence of Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes in Children With Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- Newton KP, Hou J, Crimmins NA, Lavine JE, Barlow SE, Xanthakos SA, Africa J, Behling C, Donithan M, Clark JM, Schwimmer JB JAMA Pediatr 2016 Oct 170 10 e161971
- Lysosomal Acid Lipase Deficiency Unmasked in Two Children With Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- Himes RW, Barlow SE, Bove K, Quintanilla NM, Sheridan R, Kohli R Pediatrics 2016 Sep
- In Children with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, Cysteamine Bitartrate Delayed Release Improves Liver Enzymes but does not Reduce Disease Activity Scores.
- Schwimmer JB, Lavine JE, Wilson LA, Neuschwander-Tetri BA, Xanthakos SA, Kohli R, Barlow SE, Vos MB, Karpen SJ, Molleston JP, Whitington PF, Rosenthal P, Jain AK, Murray KF, Brunt EM, Kleiner DE, Van Natta ML, Clark JM, Tonascia J, Doo E Gastroenterology 2016 Aug
- Addressing Pediatric Obesity in Ambulatory Care: Where Are We and Where Are We Going?
- Lenders CM, Manders AJ, Perdomo JE, Ireland KA, Barlow SE Curr Obes Rep 2016 Jun 5 2 214-40
- Kamp K'aana, a 2-Week Residential Weight Management Summer Camp, Shows Long-Term Improvement in Body Mass Index z Scores.
- Farhat AE, Sharma S, Abrams SH, Wong WW, Barlow SE J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2016 Mar 62 3 491-4
- A Case of an 11-year-old With Cough, Diarrhea, and Findings of Concern in His Lungs and Spleen.
- Darby JB, Rees CA, Bocchini CE, Cruz AT, Kellermayer R, Finegold MJ, Barlow SE Pediatrics 2016 Mar 137 3 e20150155
- Improvement in liver histology is associated with reduction in dyslipidemia in children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Corey KE, Vuppalanchi R, Vos M, Kohli R, Molleston JP, Wilson L, Unalp-Arida A, Cummings OW, Lavine JE, Chalasani N J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2015 Mar 60 3 360-7
- Incorporating Primary and Secondary Prevention Approaches To Address Childhood Obesity Prevention and Treatment in a Low-Income, Ethnically Diverse Population: Study Design and Demographic Data from the Texas Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration (TX CORD) Study.
- Hoelscher DM, Butte NF, Barlow S, Vandewater EA, Sharma SV, Huang T, Finkelstein E, Pont S, Sacher P, Byrd-Williams C, Oluyomi A, Durand C, Li L, Kelder SH Child Obes 2015 Jan
- Longitudinal assessment of high blood pressure in children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Schwimmer JB, Zepeda A, Newton KP, Xanthakos SA, Behling C, Hallinan EK, Donithan M, Tonascia J PLoS ONE 2014 9 11 e112569
Assessment of the Obese Child or Adolescent. In Kushner RF, Bessesen DH, eds. Treatment of the Obese Patient.
Barlow SE, Taylor SA, Hastings E, Garland BH. (2014). New York: Springer; 287-304.
Honors & Awards
- Jim Wright Lectureship
University of Alabama at Birmingham (2009)
- Pouncey Memorial Lectureship
Ocshner Childrens Health Center, New Orleans, LA (2009)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Heart Association; Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in the Young Committee
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Society for Pediatric Research
- The Obesity Society