Dr. Sarah Barlow received her medical degree from UT Southwestern. She completed her pediatric residency at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, and she underwent fellowship training in pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition at Tufts School of Medicine, Floating Hospital for Children in Boston, MA. She also earned a Masters in Public Health at Harvard School of Public Health in 1996. She was board certified in pediatric gastroenterology by the American Board of Pediatrics in 1997.
Dr. Barlow was assistant professor of pediatrics at Saint Louis University from 1998 to 2007, where she established a weight management program. In 2007, she joined the faculty at Baylor College of Medicine as associate professor of pediatrics and was the director of the Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Childhood Obesity. She was an investigator on the Texas Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration project, a study sponsored by the CDC that examined healthcare, school, and early childhood education programs for obesity prevention and care in low income neighborhoods. She was the site principal investigator for the NIDDK-sponsored NASH Clinical Research Network (2013-2016). She joined the pediatrics faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2016. In addition to caring for gastrointestinal conditions, Dr. Barlow oversees an integrated program in obesity care that spans community programs, primary healthcare and tertiary care.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1989)
- Brown University School of Medicine (1992), Pediatrics
- Tufts New England Medical Center (1998), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Management of obesity in children and adolescents
- NAFLD in children and adolescents
- Population health approaches to child and adolescent obesity
- Effects of MetAP2 inhibition on hyperphagia and body weight in Prader-Willi syndrome: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
- McCandless SE, Yanovski JA, Miller J, Fu C, Bird LM, Salehi P, Chan CL, Stafford D, Abuzzahab MJ, Viskochil D, Barlow SE, Angulo M, Myers SE, Whitman BY, Styne D, Roof E, Dykens EM, Scheimann AO, Malloy J, Zhuang D, Taylor K, Hughes TE, Kim DD, Butler MG Diabetes Obes Metab 2017 May
- Low and High Birth Weights Are Risk Factors for Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Children.
- Newton KP, Feldman HS, Chambers CD, Wilson L, Behling C, Clark JM, Molleston JP, Chalasani N, Sanyal AJ, Fishbein MH, Lavine JE, Schwimmer JB J. Pediatr. 2017 Mar
- In Children With Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, Zone 1 Steatosis Is Associated With Advanced Fibrosis.
- Africa JA, Behling CA, Brunt EM, Zhang N, Luo Y, Wells A, Hou J, Belt PH, Kohil R, Lavine JE, Molleston JP, Newton KP, Whitington PF, Schwimmer JB Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2017 Mar
- Lipid Screening and Treatment Practices Conflict With Conflicting Recommendations: Where Do We Go From Here?
- Barlow SE, Turer CB J. Pediatr. 2017 Mar
- NASPGHAN Clinical Practice Guideline for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Children: Recommendations from the Expert Committee on NAFLD (ECON) and the North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN).
- Vos MB, Abrams SH, Barlow SE, Caprio S, Daniels SR, Kohli R, Mouzaki M, Sathya P, Schwimmer JB, Sundaram SS, Xanthakos SA J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2017 Feb 64 2 319-334
- White Paper AGA: POWER - Practice Guide on Obesity and Weight Management, Education and Resources.
- Acosta A, Streett S, Kroh MD, Cheskin LJ, Saunders KH, Kurian M, Schofield M, Barlow SE, Aronne L Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2017 Feb
- Discrepancies in Communication Versus Documentation of Weight-Management Benchmarks: Analysis of Recorded Visits With Latino Children and Associated Health-Record Documentation.
- Turer CB, Barlow SE, Montaño S, Flores G Glob Pediatr Health 2017 4 2333794X16685190
- Prevalence of Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes in Children With Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- Newton KP, Hou J, Crimmins NA, Lavine JE, Barlow SE, Xanthakos SA, Africa J, Behling C, Donithan M, Clark JM, Schwimmer JB JAMA Pediatr 2016 Oct 170 10 e161971
- Lysosomal Acid Lipase Deficiency Unmasked in Two Children With Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- Himes RW, Barlow SE, Bove K, Quintanilla NM, Sheridan R, Kohli R Pediatrics 2016 Sep
- In Children with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, Cysteamine Bitartrate Delayed Release Improves Liver Enzymes but does not Reduce Disease Activity Scores.
- Schwimmer JB, Lavine JE, Wilson LA, Neuschwander-Tetri BA, Xanthakos SA, Kohli R, Barlow SE, Vos MB, Karpen SJ, Molleston JP, Whitington PF, Rosenthal P, Jain AK, Murray KF, Brunt EM, Kleiner DE, Van Natta ML, Clark JM, Tonascia J, Doo E Gastroenterology 2016 Aug
Assessment of the Obese Child or Adolescent. In Kushner RF, Bessesen DH, eds. Treatment of the Obese Patient.
Barlow SE, Taylor SA, Hastings E, Garland BH. (2014). New York: Springer; 287-304.
Honors & Awards
- Jim Wright Lectureship
University of Alabama at Birmingham (2009)
- Pouncey Memorial Lectureship
Ocshner Childrens Health Center, New Orleans, LA (2009)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Heart Association; Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in the Young Committee
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Society for Pediatric Research
- The Obesity Society