Adam Brenner M.D is Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Distinguished Teaching Professor, and Vice Chair for Education in Psychiatry. He is a graduate of Emory University, Magna Cum Laude in Philosophy. He attended Harvard Medical School and then completed his psychiatry residency at McLean Hospital. Dr. Brenner’s clinical focus is in treatment of anxiety and depressive disorders with a combination of psychoanalytic psychotherapy and psychopharmacology. His scholarly publications are on innovations in psychiatric education. Dr. Brenner is Co-Chair of the Psychotherapy Committee of the American Association of Directors of Psychotherapy Residency Training (AADPRT), and serves on the Executive Council of AADPRT. Among his educational and teaching awards, he was recently elected to the University Of Texas Academy of Health Science Educators. A graduate of the Boston Psychoanalytic Institute, Dr. Brenner is on the faculty of the Dallas Psychoanalytic Center. Dr. Brenner also serves on the board of the Dallas Chapter of Mental Health America, and the Executive Committee of the North Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians. Dr. Brenner is co-chair of the Dallas County Behavioral Health Leadership Team, a board chartered by the county to further coordination and collaboration among the various public psychiatry providers and stakeholders in the community.
|Medical School||Harvard University (1990)|
- Psychiatric Education
- Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis
- Supervising the Tearful Trainee: Opportunities for Professional Growth and Learning.
- Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2014 Mar
- Teaching Psychiatry Residents About Suicide Loss: Impact of an Educational Program.
- Jefee-Bahloul H, Hanna RC, Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2014 Mar
- Availability and Attitudes Toward Correctional Psychiatry Training: Results of a National Survey of Training Directors.
- Fuehrlein BS, Jha MK, Brenner AM, North CS J Behav Health Serv Res 2013 Apr
- The training of psychodynamic psychiatrists: the concept of "psychodynamic virtue".
- Brenner A, Khan F Psychodyn Psychiatry 2013 41 1 57-74
- Can we address the shortage of psychiatrists in the correctional setting with exposure during residency training?
- Fuehrlein BS, Jha MK, Brenner AM, North CS Community Ment Health J 2012 Dec 48 6 756-60
- Teaching supportive psychotherapy in the twenty-first century.
- Brenner AM Harv Rev Psychiatry 2012 Sep-Oct 20 5 259-67
- What medical students say about psychiatry: results of a reflection exercise.
- Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2011 May-Jun 35 3 196-8
- Uses and Limitations of Simulated Patients in Psychiatric Education
- Adam M. Brenner, M.D. Academic Psychiatry March 2009 33 112-119
- The Place of Personal Psychodynamic Psychotherapy in Becoming a Competent Psychiatrist
- Adam M. Brenner Harvard Review of Psychiatry October 2006
Honors & Awards
- University of Texas Regents Outstanding Teacher Award
- Elected to membership in The University of Texas Kenneth I. Shine Academy of Health Science Education
- Nancy C. A. Roeske Certificate for Recognition of Excellence in Medical Student Education, American Psychiatric Association
- Elected to membership University of Texas Southwestern Academy of Teachers
- Irma Bland Award for Excellence in Teaching Residents, American Psychiatric Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Mental Health America of Dallas (2011)
- Member, Board of Directors, Dallas Psychoanalytic Center (2010)
- Executive Committee, North Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (2008)