Dr. Wang grew up in Houston and received his B.S. from Stanford University. He then enrolled in the Tri-Institutional M.D./Ph.D. Program in New York. He completed his graduate work with Titia de Lange at The Rockefeller University where he studied the role of telomeres in the growth of both normal and transformed cells.
After receiving his M.D. from Cornell in 2006, he returned to Texas to complete his internship in internal medicine and residency in dermatology at UT Southwestern. He received support from the UTSW Physician Scientist Training Program and the Dermatology Foundation to do a research fellowship with Beth Levine.
His research focuses on pathways central to both the development of normal skin and non-melanoma skin cancer tumorigenesis. Specific areas of interest include autophagy and glucose transport. Research in the laboratory is supported by a K08 grant from the NIH/NCI and a Career Award for Medical Scientists from the Burroughs Wellcome Fund.
Dr. Wang practices general dermatology and has an interest in immunosuppressed patients with skin cancers or viral infections, including emerging polyomaviruses.
- Graduate School
- Rockefeller University (2005)
- Medical School
- Weill Cornell Medical College (2006)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2007), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2010), Dermatology
- Merkel Cell Carcinoma
- Skin Cancer
- Human polyomavirus 6 and 7 are associated with pruritic and dyskeratotic dermatoses.
- Nguyen KD, Lee EE, Yue Y, Stork J, Pock L, North JP, Vandergriff T, Cockerell C, Hosler GA, Pastrana DV, Buck CB, Wang RC J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2016 Dec
- A Protein Kinase C Phosphorylation Motif in GLUT1 Affects Glucose Transport and is Mutated in GLUT1 Deficiency Syndrome.
- Lee EE, Ma J, Sacharidou A, Mi W, Salato VK, Nguyen N, Jiang Y, Pascual JM, North PE, Shaul PW, Mettlen M, Wang RC Mol. Cell 2015 May
- A Primary Melanoma and its Asynchronous Metastasis Highlight the Role of BRAF, CDKN2A, and TERT.
- Hosler GA, Davoli T, Mender I, Litzner B, Choi J, Kapur P, Shay JW, Wang RC J. Cutan. Pathol. 2014 Nov
- Akt-mediated regulation of autophagy and tumorigenesis through Beclin 1 phosphorylation.
- Wang RC, Wei Y, An Z, Zou Z, Xiao G, Bhagat G, White M, Reichelt J, Levine B Science 2012 Nov 338 6109 956-9
- Viral-associated trichodysplasia spinulosa: a case with electron microscopic and molecular detection of the trichodysplasia spinulosa-associated human polyomavirus.
- Matthews MR, Wang RC, Reddick RL, Saldivar VA, Browning JC J. Cutan. Pathol. 2011 May 38 5 420-31
- Homologous recombination generates T-loop-sized deletions at human telomeres.
- Wang RC, Smogorzewska A, de Lange T Cell 2004 Oct 119 3 355-68
- Somatic mutations in telomerase promoter counterbalance germline loss-of-function mutations.
- Maryoung L, Yue Y, Young A, Newton CA, Barba C, van Oers NS, Wang RC, Garcia CK J. Clin. Invest. 2017 Mar 127 3 982-986
- Trichodysplasia Spinulosa in a 7-Year-Old Boy Managed Using Physical Extraction of Keratin Spicules.
- Barton M, Lockhart S, Sidbury R, Wang R, Brandling-Bennett H Pediatr Dermatol 2016 Dec
- Glutathione Depletion, Pentose Phosphate Pathway Activation, and Hemolysis in Erythrocytes Protecting Cancer Cells from Vitamin C Induced Oxidative Stress.
- Zhang ZZ, Lee EE, Sudderth J, Yue Y, Zia A, Glass D, DeBerardinis RJ, Wang RC J. Biol. Chem. 2016 Sep
- DNA polymerase-a regulates the activation of type I interferons through cytosolic RNA:DNA synthesis.
- Starokadomskyy P, Gemelli T, Rios JJ, Xing C, Wang RC, Li H, Pokatayev V, Dozmorov I, Khan S, Miyata N, Fraile G, Raj P, Xu Z, Xu Z, Ma L, Lin Z, Wang H, Yang Y, Ben-Amitai D, Orenstein N, Mussaffi H, Baselga E, Tadini G, Grunebaum E, Sarajlija A, Krzewski K, Wakeland EK, Yan N, de la Morena MT, Zinn AR, Burstein E Nat. Immunol. 2016 Mar
Honors & Awards
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award for Medical Scientists
- The Dermatology Foundation Physician Scientist Career Development Award
- Stanford University President’s Scholar
- American Academy of Dermatology (2011)
- Society of Investigative Dermatology (2007)