Joan H. Schiller, MD is Professor and Chief of the Hematology/Oncology Division at University of Texas Southwestern, and Deputy Director of the Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center, and holds the Andrea L. Simmons Distinguished Chair in Cancer Research. She graduated from the University of Illinois Medical School and completed her internship and residency in Internal Medicine at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago. She also completed a clinical fellowship in the Department of Human Oncology at the University of Wisconsin Clinical Cancer Center, before joining the faculty there. Dr. Schiller is Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology, and was a Professor of Medicine in the Department of Medicine Section of Oncology at the University of Wisconsin in Madison until moving to UT-Southwestern in 2006, where she is also Deputy Director of the Simmons Cancer Center. Dr. Schiller’s work focuses primarily on the treatment of lung cancer, specifically treatment modalities for small-cell and non small-cell lung cancer. She has been active in Phase I, II and III clinical trials, and sees patients with lung cancer with her radiation therapy and thoracic surgery colleagues. Dr. Schiller is an Associate Editor of the Journal of Clinical Oncology, former Chairman of the Thoracic Oncology Committee of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group, and Founder and President of Free to Breathe. She has published numerous articles related to the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer and is internationally recognized for her work in this area.
- Medical School
- University of Illinois at Chicago (1980)
- Clinical Trials
- Drug development
- Experimental therapeutics
- Non-small cell lung cancer
- Small cell lung cancer
- Mass Spectrometry to Predict Clinical Outcome for NSCLC Patients Treated with EGFR TKIs: A Cross Institutional Study
- Taguchi F, Solomon B, Gregorc V, Roder H, Gray R, Kasahara K, Nishio N, Brahmer J, Spreafico A, Ludovini V, Massion P, Dziadziuszko R, Schiller JH, Grigorieva J, Tsypin M, Hunsucker SW, Caprioli R, Duncan MW, Hirsch FW, Bunn PA, Carbone D. J Natl Cancer Inst 2007 99 838-46
- Paclitaxel plus Carboplatin with or without Bevacizumab in Advanced Non-Squamous Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Randomized Study of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group
- Sandler A, Gray R, Perry MC, Brahmer J, Schiller JH, Dowlati A, Lilenbaum R, Johnson DH N Engl J Med 2006 355 2542-50
- The Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group: Comparison of four chemotherapy regimens for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Schiller JH, Harrington D, Belani CP, Langer C, Sandler A, Krook J, Zhu J, Johnson DH. N Engl J Med 2002 346 92-98
- Phase III study of immediate compared with delayed docetaxel after front-line therapy with Gemcitabine plus Carboplatin in advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Fidias PM, Dakhil, Lyss AP, Loesch, Waterhouse DM, Bromund JL , Chen R, Hristova-Kazmierski M, Treat J, Obasaju CK, Marciniak M, Gill J, Schiller JH. J Clin Oncol 2009 27 591-598
- Noninvasive monitoring of tumors.
- Schiller JH N Engl J Med 2008 359/4 1-3
- New molecularly targeted therapies for lung cancer.
- Sun S, Schiller JH, Spinola M, Minna JD J Clin Invest 2007 117 2740-50
100 Questions and Answers About Lung Cancer, 3rd Edition
Schiller JH, Cipau A (Dec. 19, 2012). Jones and Bartlett Learning
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctors in America
Profile of Americas Best Doctors (2013)
- Fellow of the American Society of Clinical Oncology
An award given for dedication and volunteer efforts in the field of medical oncology (2013)
- America's Top Doctors for Cancer
Profiles of America's Best Cancer Doctors (2012)
- American Thoracic Society?s 2011 William J Marting II Distinguished Achievement award
- Lynn Kotsiantos Lifetime Achievement Award
For work to increase awareness and treatment options for lung cancer. Presented by Respiratory Health Assoc. of Metro Chicago (2009)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Eastern Co-operative Oncology Group, Chair Thoracic Committee
- Editor, Journal of Clinical Oncology
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, Board Member
- President, Free To Breathe