Rashmin Savani was born in Masaka, Uganda, received his primary education there,and then completed schooling at King Edward VII School in Sheffield, England (1977). He obtained his medical degree from the University of Sheffield (1982). He undertook internships in Internal Medicine, General Surgery and Obstetrics & Gynecology from 1982 to 1984. He was a pediatric resident at Duke University Medical Center (1984-1987) and a fellow in Neonatology (1987-1989) and in Pulmonary Biology (1989-1991) at Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center. He then moved to the University of Manitoba and Winnipeg Children’s Hospital where he was an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in the Section of Neonatology (1991-1996). He undertook further postgraduate training in Cell & Molecular Biology at the Manitoba Institute of Cell Biology (1991-1994) after which he had an independent laboratory at the Institute. He was recruited to the University of Pennsylvania and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (1996-2006) and rose to the rank of Associate Professor with Tenure in 2002. His research focus has been on lung injury and development, including inflammation and angiogenesis. He has maintained continuous extramural funding since 1998. Dr. Savani moved from CHOP/PENN in 2006 to become Professor of Pediatrics. He was awarded the William Buchanan Chair in Pediatrics in 2006 and is currently Division Director of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine and Associate Director of Pulmonary & Vascular Biology in the Department of Pediatrics.
- Medical School
- The University of Sheffield Medical School (1982)
- Royal Hallamshire Hospital (1983), Internal Medicine
- Northern General Hospital (1983), General Surgery
- Peterborough District Hospital (1984), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Duke University Medical Center (1987), Pediatrics
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (1991), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- University of Manitoba (1994), Cell Biology
- Intercenter Cost Variation for Perinatal Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy in the Era of Therapeutic Hypothermia.
- Massaro AN, Murthy K, Zaniletti I, Cook N, DiGeronimo R, Dizon ML, Hamrick SE, McKay VJ, Natarajan G, Rao R, Richardson T, Smith D, Mathur AM J. Pediatr. 2016 Mar
- Deletion of Hyaluronan Synthase 3 Inhibits Neointimal Hyperplasia.
- Kiene LS, Homann S, Suvorava T, Rabausch B, Müller J, Kojda G, Kretschmer I, Twarock S, Dai G, Deenen R, Hartwig S, Lehr S, Köhrer K, Savani RC, Grandoch M, Fischer JW Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2015 Nov
- Lack of EC-SOD worsens alveolar and vascular development in a neonatal mouse model of bleomycin-induced bronchopulmonary dysplasia and pulmonary hypertension.
- Delaney C, Wright RH, Tang JR, Woods C, Villegas L, Sherlock L, Savani RC, Abman SH, Nozik-Grayck E Pediatr. Res. 2015 Aug
- Maternal high fat diet is associated with impaired fetal lung development.
- Mayor RS, Finch KE, Zehr J, Morselli E, Neinast MD, Frank AP, Hahner LD, Wang J, Rakheja D, Palmer BF, Rosenfeld CR, Savani RC, Clegg DJ Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2015 Jun ajplung.00105.2015
- The NLRP3 inflammasome is critically involved in the development of bronchopulmonary dysplasia.
- Liao J, Kapadia VS, Brown LS, Cheong N, Longoria C, Mija D, Ramgopal M, Mirpuri J, McCurnin DC, Savani RC Nat Commun 2015 6 8977
- Resuscitation of preterm neonates with limited versus high oxygen strategy.
- Kapadia VS, Chalak LF, Sparks JE, Allen JR, Savani RC, Wyckoff MH Pediatrics 2013 Dec 132 6 e1488-96
- Proteobacteria-specific IgA regulates maturation of the intestinal microbiota.
- Mirpuri J, Raetz M, Sturge CR, Wilhelm CL, Benson A, Savani RC, Hooper LV, Yarovinsky F Gut Microbes 2013 Sep 5 1
- Ephrin-B2 Reverse Signaling Increases a5ß1 Integrin Mediated Fibronectin Deposition and Reduces Distal Lung Compliance.
- Bennett KM, Afanador MD, Lal CV, Xu H, Persad E, Legan SK, Chenaux G, Dellinger M, Savani RC, Dravis C, Henkemeyer M, Schwarz MA Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2013 Jun
- Superoxide Dismutase Mimetic, MnTE-2-PyP, Attenuates Chronic Hypoxia-Induced Pulmonary Hypertension, Pulmonary Vascular Remodeling, and Activation of the NALP3 Inflammasome.
- Villegas LR, Kluck D, Field C, Oberley-Deegan RE, Woods C, Yeager ME, El Kasmi KC, Savani RC, Bowler RP, Nozik-Grayck E Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2013 Feb
- Neonatal effects of magnesium sulfate given to the mother.
- Abbassi-Ghanavati M, Alexander JM, McIntire DD, Savani RC, Leveno KJ Am J Perinatol 2012 Nov 29 10 795-9
The Biochemistry of Endothelial Cells. In Parent RA, ed. Comparative Biology of the Lung. 2nd ed.
Savani RC. (2015). Academic Press; 375-386.
Hyaluronan and Its Receptors in Lung Health and Disease. In Garg HG, Roughley PJ, Hales CA, eds. Lung Biology in Health and Disease Series: Proteoglycans in Lung Disease.
Savani RC, DeLisser HM. (2002). CRC Press; 73-106.
Honors & Awards
- Invited membership, International Perinatal Collegium
- Best Doctors in America
- Perinatal Physician Excellence Award
March of Dimes, Texas (2010)
- Honorary Masters of Arts
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2002)
- Young Investigator Award, Perinatal Pediatrics
American Academy of Pediatrics (1998)
- Young Investigator Award, Basic Science
Eastern Society for Pediatric Research (1997)
- American Pediatric Society, Member (2005)
- American Physiological Society, Member (2005-2010)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Member (2005-2010)
- The International Society for Hyaluronan Science, Member of the Board (2004)
- Perinatal Research Society, Member (1999)
- Society for Pediatric Research, Member (1999)