Rashmin Savani was born in Masaka, Uganda, received his primary education there,and then completed schooling at King Edward VII School in Sheffield, England (1977). He obtained his medical degree from the University of Sheffield (1982). He undertook internships in Internal Medicine, General Surgery and Obstetrics & Gynecology from 1982 to 1984. He was a pediatric resident at Duke University Medical Center (1984-1987) and a fellow in Neonatology (1987-1989) and in Pulmonary Biology (1989-1991) at Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center. He then moved to the University of Manitoba and Winnipeg Children’s Hospital where he was an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in the Section of Neonatology (1991-1996). He undertook further postgraduate training in Cell & Molecular Biology at the Manitoba Institute of Cell Biology (1991-1994) after which he had an independent laboratory at the Institute. He was recruited to the University of Pennsylvania and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (1996-2006) and rose to the rank of Associate Professor with Tenure in 2002. His research focus has been on lung injury and development, including inflammation and angiogenesis. He has maintained continuous extramural funding since 1998. Dr. Savani moved from CHOP/PENN in 2006 to become Professor of Pediatrics. He was awarded the William Buchanan Chair in Pediatrics in 2006 and is currently Division Director of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine and Associate Director of Pulmonary & Vascular Biology in the Department of Pediatrics.
- Medical School
- The University of Sheffield Medical School (1982)
- Royal Hallamshire Hospital (1983), Internal Medicine
- Northern General Hospital (1983), General Surgery
- Peterborough District Hospital (1984), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Duke University Medical Center (1987), Pediatrics
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (1991), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- University of Manitoba (1994), Cell Biology
- Hormonal regulation of alveolarization: structure-function correlation.
- Garber SJ, Foley JP, Godinez RI, Godinez MH, Gow AJ, Savani RC Respiratory Research 2006 7/1 47
- Loss of PECAM-1 function impairs lung alveolarization.
- DeLisser, Helmke, Cao, Pooler, Taichman, Fehrenbach, Zaman, Cui, Mohan, Baldwin, Davis, Savani J. Biol. Chem 2006 28/13 8724-8731
- Surfactant Composition and Function in a Primate Model of Infant Chronic Lung Disease: Effects of Inhaled Nitric Oxide.
- Ballard PI, Gonazles, LW, Godinez, RI, Godinez MH, Savani RC, McCurnin DC, Gibson LL, Yoder BA, Kerecman JD, Brubb PH, Shaul PW Pediatric Research 2005 59/1 157-162
- Alveolar Surgactant Protein D Content Modulates Bleomycin Induced Lung Injury
- Casey, Kaplan, Atochina, Gow, Kadire, Tomer, Fisher, Hawgood, Savani, Beers. Am. J. Respir. Crit Care Med. 2005 172/7 869-877
- Expression and role of the hyaluronan receptor RHAMM in Inflammation after bleomycin injury
- Zaman A, Cui Z, Foley JP, Grimm PC, DeLisser HM, Savani RC Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2005 33 447-454
Honors & Awards
- Honorary Masters of Arts
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2002)
- Young Investigator Award, Perinatal Pediatrics
American Academy of Pediatrics (1998)
- Young Investigator Award, Basic Science
Eastern Society for Pediatric Research (1997)
- Member, American Pediatric Society
- Member, American Physiological Society
- Member, American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Member, The International Society for Hyaluronan Science