1993-1994 Undergraduate Research Assistant, Department of Chemistry, Boston College, Newton, MA. Supervisor: Mary Roberts, Ph.D.
1994-1996 Research Assistant, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington DC. Supervisor: Mark Danielsen, Ph.D.
1996-2002 Graduate Student Research Fellow, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC. Supervisor/mentor: Mark Danielsen, Ph.D.
2002-2005 Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Receptor Biology and Gene Expression National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD. Supervisor: Gordon L. Hager, Ph.D.
2005- 2009 Instructor, Department of Pharmacology, UT Southwestern.
Sept. 2009 - Present Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, UT Southwestern.
- Graduate School
- Georgetown University (2002)
- Deregulation of transcriptional pathways in cancer
- Drug discovery
- Epigenetic control of gene expression
- Novel therapeutics for gene expression disorders including cancer
- The role of Jumonji histone demethylases in cancer
- Transcriptional regulation by nuclear receptors
- Lysyl hydroxylase 2 induces a collagen cross-link switch in tumor stroma.
- Chen Y, Terajima M, Yang Y, Sun L, Ahn YH, Pankova D, Puperi DS, Watanabe T, Kim MP, Blackmon SH, Rodriguez J, Liu H, Behrens C, Wistuba II, Minelli R, Scott KL, Sanchez-Adams J, Guilak F, Pati D, Thilaganathan N, Burns AR, Creighton CJ, Martinez ED, Zal T, Grande-Allen KJ, Yamauchi M, Kurie JM J. Clin. Invest. 2015 Feb
- A small molecule modulates Jumonji histone demethylase activity and selectively inhibits cancer growth.
- Wang L, Chang J, Varghese D, Dellinger M, Kumar S, Best AM, Ruiz J, Bruick R, Peña-Llopis S, Xu J, Babinski DJ, Frantz DE, Brekken RA, Quinn AM, Simeonov A, Easmon J, Martinez ED Nat Commun 2013 Jun 4 2035
- A small molecule modulates Jumonji histone demethylase activity and selectively inhibits cancer growth
- Lei Wang, Jianjun Chang, Diana Varghese, Michael Dellinger, Subodh Kumar, Anne M. Best, Julio Ruiz, Richard Bruick, Samuel Pena-LLopis, Junjie Xu, David J. Babinski, Doug E. Frantz, Rolf A. Brekken, Amy M. Quinn, Anton Simeonov, Johnny Easmon and Elisabeth D. Martinez Nat Commun. 2013 2035 4
- Differential response of cancer cells to HDAC inhibitors trichostatin A and depsipeptide.
- Chang J, Varghese DS, Gillam MC, Peyton M, Modi B, Schiltz RL, Girard L, Martinez ED Br. J. Cancer 2012 Jan 106 1 116-25
- Identification of four potential epigenetic modulators from the NCI structural diversity library using a cell-based assay.
- Best AM, Chang J, Dull AB, Beutler JA, Martinez ED J. Biomed. Biotechnol. 2011 2011 868095
- Expression profiling of nuclear receptors in the NCI60 cancer cell panel reveals receptor-drug and receptor-gene interactions.
- Holbeck S, Chang J, Best AM, Bookout AL, Mangelsdorf DJ, Martinez ED Mol. Endocrinol. 2010 Jun 24 6 1287-96
- Characterizing heterogeneous cellular responses to perturbations.
- Slack MD, Martinez ED, Wu LF, Altschuler SJ Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2008 Dec 105 49 19306-11
- A quantitative high-throughput screen identifies potential epigenetic modulators of gene expression.
- Johnson RL, Huang W, Jadhav A, Austin CP, Inglese J, Martinez ED Anal. Biochem. 2008 Apr 375 2 237-48
- Falling off the academic bandwagon. Women are more likely to quit at the postdoc to principal investigator transition.
- Martinez ED, Botos J, Dohoney KM, Geiman TM, Kolla SS, Olivera A, Qiu Y, Rayasam GV, Stavreva DA, Cohen-Fix O EMBO Rep. 2007 Nov 8 11 977-81
- HDAC1 acetylation is linked to progressive modulation of steroid receptor-induced gene transcription.
- Qiu Y, Zhao Y, Becker M, John S, Parekh BS, Huang S, Hendarwanto A, Martinez ED, Chen Y, Lu H, Adkins NL, Stavreva DA, Wiench M, Georgel PT, Schiltz RL, Hager GL Mol. Cell 2006 Jun 22 5 669-79
Honors & Awards
- Dean's LEAD award
- Abstract Award
International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (2007)
- NIH Technology Transfer Award
- NIH FARE Research Excellence Award
- Keystone Symposia Travel awards
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Co-founder and Member of the Nuclear Receptor Resource Project, 1995-present
- Member of the American Association for Cancer Research, 2005-present
- Member of the American Society for Cell Biology, 2004-present
- Member of the Endocrine Society, 1997-present
- NIH Task Force on Recruitment and Retention of Women, Subcommittee co-chair, 2003-present