Research in the Hsieh laboratory explores the development and function of resident adult neural stem cells, which are a source of inherent plasticity in the mammalian brain center (hippocampus) critical for learning and memory. We study neural stem cells using a range of novel genetic, pharmacological, cellular, molecular, and imaging methods. A major focus of our lab is to understand the transcriptional/epigenetic regulatory circuitry that guides neural stem cell fate decisions in both normal and pathological states.
- University of California-San Diego , Biochemistry
- University of California-San Diego , Cell Biology
- Graduate School
- Johns Hopkins University (2000)
- Adult neurogenesis and epilepsy
- Cancer stem cells
- Epigenetic regulation
- Neurogenic small molecules
- Stem cell biology
- Functional and mechanistic exploration of an adult neurogenesis-promoting small molecule.
- Petrik D, Jiang Y, Birnbaum SG, Powell CM, Kim MS, Hsieh J, Eisch AJ FASEB J. 2012 Aug 26 8 3148-62
- Orchestrating transcriptional control of adult neurogenesis.
- Hsieh J Genes Dev. 2012 May 26 10 1010-21
- The master negative regulator REST/NRSF controls adult neurogenesis by restraining the neurogenic program in quiescent stem cells.
- Gao Z, Ure K, Ding P, Nashaat M, Yuan L, Ma J, Hammer RE, Hsieh J J. Neurosci. 2011 Jun 31 26 9772-86
- Small-molecule blocks malignant astrocyte proliferation and induces neuronal gene expression.
- Zhang L, Li P, Hsu T, Aguilar HR, Frantz DE, Schneider JW, Bachoo RM, Hsieh J Differentiation 2011 Apr 81 4 233-42
- Epigenetics, hippocampal neurogenesis, and neuropsychiatric disorders: unraveling the genome to understand the mind
- Jenny Hsieh and Amelia J Eisch Neurobiology of Disease 2010
- Essential role of NeuroD1 in the survival and maturation of adult-born neurons
- Zhengliang Gao, Kerstin Ure, Jessica Ables, Diane Lagace, Klause Nave, Sandra Goebbels, Amelia Eisch, and Jenny Hsieh Nature Neuroscience 2009 12 1090-1092
- Small-molecule activation of neuronal cell fate.
- Schneider JW, Gao Z, Li S, Farooqi M, Tang TS, Bezprozvanny I, Frantz DE, Hsieh J Nat. Chem. Biol. 2008 Jul 4 7 408-10
- Epigenetic modulation of seizure-induced neurogenesis and cognitive decline.
- Jessberger S, Nakashima K, Clemenson GD, Mejia E, Mathews E, Ure K, Ogawa S, Sinton CM, Gage FH, Hsieh J J. Neurosci. 2007 May 27 22 5967-75
- Neuroscience. Neural stem cells, excited.
- Hsieh J, Schneider JW Science 2013 Mar 339 6127 1534-5
- Epigenetics and epilepsy.
- Roopra A, Dingledine R, Hsieh J Epilepsia 2012 Dec 53 Suppl 9 2-10
Genetics and Epigenetics. In Adult Neurogenesis
Jenny Hsieh and Jay W. Schneider (2008). New York, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press
Adult Neurogenesis. In Epigenetic Regulation in the Nervous System
Jenny Hsieh and Hongjun Song (2013). Academic Press
Honors & Awards
- The American Epilepsy Society Young Investigator Travel Award
- The Citizen?s United for Epilepsy Foundation Multidisciplinary Award
- The Ellison Medical Foundation New Scholar Award in Aging
- The Esther A. & Joseph Klingenstein Fellowship Award in the Neurosciences
- UTSW President’s Research Council Distinguished Young Researcher Award
- American Epilepsy Society (2013)
- International Society for Stem Cell Research (2011)
- Society for Neuroscience (2000)