Andrew Feranchak, M.D., is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and the University of Pittsburgh Medical School. He completed his internship and residency in Pediatrics at The Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh and his fellowship in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition at the University of Colorado Health Sciences and Children’s Hospital Denver.
Dr. Feranchak’s clinical interests include cholestatic liver disease, assessment of nutritional and fat-soluble vitamin status, and gastrointestinal and liver complications of cystic fibrosis. His basic research interests include understanding the mechanisms of bile formation, biliary secretion, and liver cell volume regulation.
He is the winner of the American Liver Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Award, the North American Society Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition Fellow Research Award, the Children’s Digestive Health and Nutrition Foundation Silver Anniversary Award, and the Regal Award for excellence in gastroenterology and liver research.
He is presently an Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center and the Children’s Medical Center, Dallas, Texas.
- Medical School
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (1992)
- Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh (1995), Pediatrics
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (1998), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Research Fellowship
- University of Colorado Health Science Center (1999), Hepatology
- Biophysical characterization of membrane ion channels
- Cell volume regulation
- Cholestatic liver disease
- Hepatobiliary transport
- Mechanisms of bile formation
- PKCa regulates TMEM16A-mediated Cl- secretion in human biliary cells.
- Dutta AK, Khimji AK, Liu S, Karamysheva Z, Fujita A, Kresge C, Rockey DC, Feranchak AP Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2015 Nov ajpgi.00146.2015
- Regulation of mechanosensitive biliary epithelial transport by the Epithelial Na(+) Channel, ENaC.
- Li Q, Kresge C, Bugde A, Lamphere M, Park JY, Feranchak AP Hepatology 2015 Oct
- Vesicular nucleotide transporter-mediated ATP release regulates insulin secretion.
- Geisler JC, Corbin KL, Li Q, Feranchak AP, Nunemaker CS, Li C Endocrinology 2013 Feb 154 2 675-84
- Mechanosensitive Cl- secretion in biliary epithelium mediated through TMEM16A.
- Dutta AK, Woo K, Khimji AK, Kresge C, Feranchak AP Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2013 Jan 304 1 G87-98
- Requirements for efficient correction of ?F508 CFTR revealed by analyses of evolved sequences.
- Mendoza JL, Schmidt A, Li Q, Nuvaga E, Barrett T, Bridges RJ, Feranchak AP, Brautigam CA, Thomas PJ Cell 2012 Jan 148 1-2 164-74
- Regulation of Purinergic Signaling in Biliary Epithelial Cells by Exocytosis of SLC17A9-dependent ATP-enriched Vesicles.
- Sathe MN, Woo K, Kresge C, Bugde A, Luby-Phelps K, Lewis MA, Feranchak AP J. Biol. Chem. 2011 Jul 286 28 25363-76
- Identification and functional characterization of TMEM16A, a Ca2+-activated Cl- channel activated by extracellular nucleotides, in biliary epithelium.
- Dutta AK, Khimji AK, Kresge C, Bugde A, Dougherty M, Esser V, Ueno Y, Glaser SS, Alpini G, Rockey DC, Feranchak AP J. Biol. Chem. 2011 Jan 286 1 766-76
- Adenosine triphosphate release and purinergic (P2) receptor-mediated secretion in small and large mouse cholangiocytes.
- Woo K, Sathe M, Kresge C, Esser V, Ueno Y, Venter J, Glaser SS, Alpini G, Feranchak AP Hepatology 2010 Nov 52 5 1819-28
- Initiation of purinergic signaling by exocytosis of ATP-containing vesicles in liver epithelium.
- Feranchak AP, Lewis MA, Kresge C, Sathe M, Bugde A, Luby-Phelps K, Antich PP, Fitz JG J. Biol. Chem. 2010 Mar 285 11 8138-47
- Identification and functional characterization of the intermediate-conductance Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channel (IK-1) in biliary epithelium.
- Dutta AK, Khimji AK, Sathe M, Kresge C, Parameswara V, Esser V, Rockey DC, Feranchak AP Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2009 Nov 297 5 G1009-18
Cystic Fibrosis Liver Disease. In Liver Disease in Children, 4th edition, F. Suchy, R. Sokol, W. Balistreri, eds.
Sathe M, Feranchak AP (2014). Cambridge University Press
Liver Disease. In Cystic Fibrosis: Lung Biology in Health and Disease, Volume 242, J. Allen, H. Panitch, R. Rubenstein, eds.
Sathe M, Feranchak AP (2010). New York, Informa Healthcare USA
Vitamins. In Pediatric Nutrition Handbook, 6th edition, R. Kleinman, ed.
Feranchak AP (2009). American Academy of Pediatrics
The Liver in Cystic Fibrosis. In Textbook of Hepatology, 3rd edition, J. Rodes, J. Benhamou, A. Bile, J. Reichen, M. Rizzetto, eds.
Feranchak AP (2007). Blackwell Publishing
Cystic Fibrosis Liver Disease. In Liver Disease in Children, 3rd edition, F. Suchy, R. Sokol, W. Balistreri, eds.
Feranchak AP (2007). Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins
Medical and Nutritional Management of Cholestasis. In Liver Disease in Children, 3rd edition, F. Suchy, R. Sokol, W. Balistreri, eds.
Feranchak AP (2007). Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- Texas Super Doctors, Texas Monthly Magazine
- Top Doctors, Texas Monthly
- Research Excellence in Gastroenterology and Liver (REGAL) Award
- Japan Symposium Young Investigator Award, American Gastroenterological Association and Gastroenterology Research Group
- Foundation Award, American Gastroenterological Association and the American Digestive Health Foundation
(Formerly Industry Scholar Award) (2000)
- Silver Anniversary Award, Children's Digestive Health and Nutrition Foundation
- America's Top Doctors
2009; 2013 (0)
- America's Top Pediatricians, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Consumer Research Council of America
2002; 2007; 2008; 2010 (0)
- Best Doctors in America
2009-2011; 2013; 2015 (0)
- Finance Committee, North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (2012)
- ASection Nominating Committee, AGA Institute; Growth, Development and Aging (GDA) (2011)
- Research Awards Committee, American Liver Foundation/American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2011)
- American Physiological Society (2010)
- Fellow's Basic and Clinical Research Award Selection Committee, Society of Pediatric Research (SPR) (2010)
- Training Committee, NASPGHAN (2008)
- "Biliary Physiology, Transport, Cholangiocyte Biology, Experimental Cholestasis" Review Committee, American Assocation for the Study of Liver Diseases (2007)
- Abstract Selection Committee, Annual Meeting, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2007)
- Abstract Selection Committee, Digestive Disease Week, Annual Meeting, American Gastroenterological Association (2007)
- Professional Education Committee, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (2005)
- Gastroenterology Research Group (2003)
- Society of Pediatric Research (2003)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (1996)
- American Gastroenterological Association (1996)
- North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (1995)