- Medical School
- Universidad Santiago De Compostela (1977)
- Universidad Autonoma De Barcelona Facultad de Medi (1981), Pediatrics
- University of California at San Francisco (1985), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- airway smooth muscle
- autonomic nervous system
- neurogenic inflammation
- Bone marrow transplantation reveals an essential synergy between neuronal and hemopoietic cell neurokinin production in pulmonary inflammation.
- Chavolla-Calderón M, Bayer MK, Fontán JJ J. Clin. Invest. 2003 Apr 111 7 973-80
- On lung nerves and neurogenic injury.
- Pérez Fontan JJ Ann. Med. 2002 34 4 226-40
- Labeling of vagal motoneurons and central afferents after injection of cholera toxin B into the airway lumen.
- Pérez Fontán JJ, Velloff CR Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2001 Jan 280 1 L152-64
- Bilateral distribution of vagal motor and sensory nerve fibers in the rat's lungs and airways.
- Fontán JJ, Diec CT, Velloff CR Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 2000 Aug 279 2 R713-28
- Substance P and neurokinin-1 receptor expression by intrinsic airway neurons in the rat.
- Fontán JJ, Cortright DN, Krause JE, Velloff CR, Karpitskyi VV, Carver TW, Shapiro SD, Mora BN Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2000 Feb 278 2 L344-55
Honors & Awards
- Alumni Endowed Professor of Pediatrics
Washington University School of Medicine (2001)
- Teaching Award
Yale University School of Medicine (1992)
- San Nicolas Prize, Royal National Academy of Medicine, Spain
Scholastic achievement in Medicine (1978)
- Summa cum Laude, First in 1977 graduating class
Medical School Graduation (1977)
- American Pediatric Society
- American Physiological Society
- American Thoracic Society
- Society for Pediatric Research