- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (1990)
- Duke University Medical Center (1991), General Surgery
- Duke University Medical Center (1997), General Surgery
- Duke University Medical Center (1999), Thoracic Surgery
- Hypoxic-ischemic neurologic injury in piglets undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass, selective cerebral perfusion and deep hypothermic circulatory arrest.
- Minimally invasive approaches to congenital heart surgery.
- Quality improvement in congenital heart surgery.
- Validation of somatic and cerebral near infrared spectroscopy during cardiopulmonary bypass in pediatric patients.
- Venoarterial Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Pediatric Cardiac Support: Cannulation During Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Is Not a Risk Factor for Mortality
- Thourani VH, Kirshbom PM, Kanter KR, Simsic J, Kogon BE, Wagoner S, Dykes F, Fortenberry J, Forbess JM Annals of Thoracic Surgery July 2006 82 138-45
- Neurodevelopmental Outcomes Following Biventricular Repair of Congenital Heart Defects
- Forbess JM, Visconti KJ, Bellinger DC, Howe RJ, Jonas RA Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2002 123 631-9
- Neurodevelopmental Outcome after Congenital Heart Surgery: Results from an Institutional Registry
- Forbess JM, Visconti KJ, Hancock-Friesen C, Howe RJ, Bellinger DC, Jonas RA Circulation 2002 106 I95-102
- Cryopreserved homografts in the pulmonary position determinants of durability
- Forbess JM, Shah AS, St. Louis J, Jaggers JJ, Underleider RM Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2001 71 54-59
- Ten year institutional experience with palliative surgery for hypoplastic left heart syndrome: Risk factors related to stage I mortality
- Forbess JM, Cook N, Roth SJ, Serraf A, Mayer JE Jr, Jonas RA Circulation 1995 92 (supp) II262-266
- Upregulation of Hypoxia Inducible Factor is Associated with Attenuation of Neuronal Injury in Neonatal Piglets Undergoing Deep Hypothermic Circulatory Arrest.
- Kerendi F, Halkos ME, Kin H, Corvera JS, Brat DJ, Wagner MB, Vinten-Johansen J, Zhao ZQ, Forbess JM, Kanter KR, Kelley ME, Kirshbom PM. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005 130 / 4 1079
- In Vitro Flow Analysis of a Patient-Specific Intraatrial Total Cavopulmonary Connection.
- deZelicout DA, Pekkan K, Wills L, Kanter K, Forbess J, Sharma S, Forgel M, Yoganathan AP. Ann Thorac Surg 2005 79 2094-1202
- Redo Mitral Valve Replacement in Children
- Kanter KR, Forbess JM, Kirshbom PM Ann Thorac Surg 2005 80(2) 642-646
- Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection: An Analysis of Current Management Strategies in a Single Institution
- Hancock-Friesen C, Zurakowski D, Thiagarajan RR, Forbess JM, del Nido PJ, Mayer JE, Jonas RA Ann Thorac Surg 2005 79 596-606
- Cost-utility analysis of salvage cardiac extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in children
- Mahle WT, Forbess JM, Kirshbom PM, Cuadrado AR, Simsic JM, Kanter KR. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005 129 1084-90
Honors & Awards
- Top Pediatric Specialist
Named by D Magazine (2007)
- TSFRE Scholarship
Leadership Program in Health Policy & Management, Heller School for Social Policy/Management, Brandeis University (2007)
- Meritorius Service Award
AmSECT Pediatric Conference, Atlanta, Georgia (2006)
- Harvard College Scholarship
- John Harvard Scholarship
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Surgeons
- American Heart Association, Council on Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Southern Thoracic Surgical Association