Dr. Oden holds undergraduate and medical degrees from Texas Tech University, where he completed a residency in pediatrics as well. He went on to do his fellowship in pediatric endocrinology at Duke University Medical Center . Immediately following the completion of his fellowship in 2003, which included an extensive study of lactogenic hormones and adipose tissue development, he served his community as an associate faculty member at Duke University while he completed his research, until he joined the Pediatric Endocrinology team at UT Southwestern as an Assistant Professor in 2004. He became board certified in Pediatrics in 1997. Dr. Oden is an attending physician at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas and is on staff at its Endocrinology Center where he treats patients in a teaching environment. He intends to expand his role in the near future by participating in clinical research involving the effects of a new rapid-acting insulin for Type 1 diabetes in children. His activity in the endocrinology community continues as he is pursuing future research in obesity, insulin resistance, and Type 2 diabetes.
|Medical School||Texas Tech University School of Medicine (1997)|
|Internship||Texas Tech Univ Health Sciences Center - Amarillo (1998), Pediatrics|
|Residency||Texas Tech Univ Health Sciences Center - Amarillo (2000), Pediatrics|
|Fellowship||Duke University Hospital (2003), Pediatric Endocrinology|
- Puberty Problems
- Insulin Resistance
- Thyroid Disorders
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Targeted deletion of the PRL receptor: effects on islet development, insulin production, and glucose tolerance.
- Freemark M, Avril I, Fleenor D, Driscoll P, Petro A, Opara E et al. Endocrinology April 2002 143(4) 1378-1385
- Neonatal endocrinology.
- Oden J, Bourgeois M Indian Journal of Pediatrics 2000 67(3) 217-223
- Neonatal Thyrotoxicosis and Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension Necessitating Extracorporeal Life Support.
- Oden J, Cheifetz IM. Pediatrics January 2005 115 e105 - e108
- Inborn errors of fasting adaptation.
- Oden J, Treem WR. In: Walker WA, Watkins JR, Duggan C, editors. Nutrition in Pediatrics: Basic Science and Clinical Applications. Hamilton, Ontario: BC Decker Inc. 2004 591-608
- Insulin pump therapy in toddlers and preschool children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Litton J, Rice A, Friedman N, Oden J, Lee MM, Freemark M. Journal of Pediatrics October 2002 141(4) 490-495
- Thyroxine supplementation in preterm infants: critical analysis.
- Oden J, Freemark M. Current Opinion in Pediatrics August 2002 14(4) 447-452
- Leptin in the newborn mouse. Plasma concentrations, characterization of the circulating hormone, and tissue source.
- Oden J, Fleenor D, Driscoll P, Freemark M. Biology of the Neonate 2002 82(2) 109-116
Honors & Awards
- Neonatology Resident of Year
- Magna Cum Laude Graduate
- National Research Service Award
National Institutes of Health 2002-2005 (0)
- Research Fellowship
Lawson-Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society 2002-2003 (0)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- Associate Member, Lawson-Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society
- Associate Member, The Endocrine Society
- Juvenile Diabetes Foundation