Milton Packer is Professor in the Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, at UT Southwestern. Previous positions include Chairman of the Department of Clinical Sciences at UT Southwestern, and Chief, Division of Circulatory Physiology, Director of the Heart Failure Center, Professor of Pharmacology, and attending physician at Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY.
After receiving his MD from Jefferson Medical College in 1973, Dr. Packer carried out his internship and residency at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, and completed his fellowship in cardiology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York. He has taken a leading role in the development of new heart failure drugs and has been principal investigator and chairman of 14 steering committees for major clinical trials, including, more recently, COPERNICUS, REACH-1, ENABLE, AQUAVIT, REVIVE and EPOCH.
- Pennsylvania State University Main Campus (1969)
- Medical School
- "jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia,pa." (1973), Medicine
- Congestive heart failure
- Treatment of heart failure
- Levosimendan vs dobutamine for patients with acute decompensated heart failure: the SURVIVE Randomized Trial.
- Alexandre Mebazaa, MD, PhD; Markku S. Nieminen, MD, PhD; Milton Packer, MD; Alain Cohen-Solal, MD, PhD; Franz X. Kleber, MD; Stuart J. Pocock, PhD; Roopal Thakkar, MD; Robert J. Padley, MD; Pentti P?der, MD, PhD; Matti Kivikko, MD, PhD; for the SURVIVE Investigators JAMA May 2007 Vol. 297, No. 17 1883-1891
- Associations of Gender and Etiology With Outcomes in Heart Failure With Systolic Dysfunction A Pooled Analysis of 5 Randomized Control Trials
- Camille G. Frazier MD, Karen P. Alexander MD, L. Kristin Newby MD, MHS, Susan Anderson MS?, Erik Iverson MS?, Milton Packer MD?, Jay Cohn MD?, Sidney Goldstein MD and Pamela S. Douglas MD JACC April 2007 Vol. 49, No. 13 1450-1458
- Controlled-release carvedilol: a concluding perspective.
- Packer M Am J Cardiology October 2006 Vol. 98, No. 7, Supp.1 67-69
- Pharmacokinetic profile of controlled-release carvedilol in patients with left ventricular dysfunction associated with chronic heart failure or after myocardial infarction.
- Packer M, Lukas MA, Tenero DM, Baidoo CA, Greenberg BH; 369 Study Group. Am J Cardiology October 2006 Vol. 98, No. 7, Supp. 1 39-45
- Utility of impedance cardiography for the identification of short-term risk of clinical decompensation in stable patients with chronic heart failure.
- Packer M, Abraham WT, Mehra MR, Yancy CW, Lawless CE, Mitchell JE, Smart FW, Bijou R, O’Connor CM, Massie BM, Pina IL, Greenberg BH, Young JB, Fishbein DP, Hauptman PJ, Bourge RC, Strobeck JE, Murali S, Schocken D, Teerlink JR, Levy WC, Trupp RJ, Silver MA; Prospective Evaluation and Identification of Cardiac Decompensation by ICG Test (PREDICT) Study Investigators and Coordinators. JACC June 2006 Vol. 47, No. 11 2245-2252
Honors & Awards
- Simon Dack Award for Excellence in Teaching of Cardiovascular Medicine
Division of Cardiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine (1988)
- Research Career Development Award
National Heart, Blood and Lung Institute, The National Institutes of Health (1984)
- Solomon A. Berson Award for Excellence in House Staff Teaching
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine (1983)
- Young Investigator’s Award
National Heart, Blood and Lung Institute, The National Institutes of Health (1980)
- Kriendler-Berns Foundation Research Fellow in Cardiology
Mount Sinai School of Medicine (1977)
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Member, American Federation for Clinical Research
- Member, Association for the Advancement of Science
- Member, Council on Clinical Cardiology, American Heart Association
- Member, New York Academy of Sciences