Patient appointments – 214-645-3888 or 214-645-8300
Mayra Thompson, MD, is a member of the Division of Gynecology in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. She sees patients at the Lowe Foundation Center for Women’s Preventative Health Care.
Dr. Thompson received her undergraduate degree from Northwestern University and her doctor of medicine from the University of Illinois Abraham Lincoln School of Medicine. She completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Illinois Research Hospital.
Dr. Thompson is trained in minimally invasive surgical procedures such as the DaVinci Robot for single-site hysterectomies and has also been certified by the International Society for Clinical Densitometry.
She is board certified in obstetrics and gynecology and is a Fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists as well as a member of the Association of Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeons, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, American Society for Reproductive Medicine, and American Urogynecologic Society.
Dr. Thompson has lectured and proctored courses in the use of minimally invasive surgical techniques at UT Southwestern and elsewhere. She not only teaches the residency staff, but enjoys assisting physicians in private practice who wish to learn and master these techniques.
Dr. Thompson is fluent in Spanish and has a special interest in communicating wellness and preventative care in the Hispanic community. She has hosted multiple radio educational shows for the Latin American community not only in Dallas but in the Southwest. Among others, the most well known are “A Su Salud” and “La Buena Vida.” For her efforts she was awarded the Female Entrepreneur of the Year Award from the Dallas Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and the “Si Se Puede” award from the Mexican American Professional Women’s Association of Dallas.
- Medical School
- The University of Illinois School of Medicine (1980)
- University of Illinois - Chicago Medical Center (1981), Ob/ Gyn
- University of Illinois - Chicago Medical Center (1984), Ob/ Gyn
- Abnormal/Irregular Vaginal Bleeding (Amenorrhea, Menorrhagia)
- Gynecologic Robotic & Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Hormone Assays, Testing & Therapy
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Ovarian Cyst
- Post-Menopausal Bleeding & Disorders
Honors & Awards
- Super Doctors in Texas
- D Best - Gynecology
D Magazine Best Doctors (2012)
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparscopists
- American Association of Ultrasound in Medicine
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Texas Medical Association