Dr. Joshua Koch is interested in better understanding acquired brain injury and how improved care in the intensive care unit can prevent it. He serves as the site primary investigator for the multi-center trial, Therapeutic Hypothermia after Pediatric Cardiac Arrest (THAPCA). This trial is funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, and began enrollment on September 1, 2009.
His other research efforts focus on optimizing the post-operative management of patients with congenital heart disease. He is the primary investigator for a study looking at the use of tolvaptan in pediatric patients with hyponatremia and heart failure. He is a co-investigator on the CHANGE study (Congenital Heart and Adrenal Gland Examination) and a study on appropriate dosing of amlodipine in single ventricle patients.
Josh serves as the Clinical Director of Critical Care Services at Children’s Medical Center and is interested in quality improvement as it relates to efficient health care systems. He is the site medical director for both VPS (Virtual PICU Systems) and PC4 (Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Consortium) and is currently engaged in quality improvement projects designed to improve identification and optimization of care of the deteriorating cardiac patient, catheter associated urinary tract infections, and health care acquired pressure ulcers.
- Medical School
- University of Kansas School of Medicine (2001)
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2002), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2004), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2005), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2008), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Adrenal function in children with congenital heart disease
- Neurologic outcomes in children with congenital heart disease
- Team dynamics in the intensive care unit setting
- Protecting the future: neuroprotective strategies in the pediatric intensive care unit.
- Koch JD, Kernie SG Curr. Opin. Pediatr. 2011 Jun 23 3 275-80
- Brief exposure to hyperoxia depletes the glial progenitor pool and impairs functional recovery after hypoxic-ischemic brain injury.
- Koch JD, Miles DK, Gilley JA, Yang CP, Kernie SG J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 2008 Jul 28 7 1294-306
- Therapeutic Hypothermia after In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children.
- Moler FW, Silverstein FS, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Nadkarni VM, Meert KL, Browning B, Pemberton VL, Page K, Gildea MR, Scholefield BR, Shankaran S, Hutchison JS, Berger JT, Ofori-Amanfo G, Newth CJ, Topjian A, Bennett KS, Koch JD, Pham N, Chanani NK, Pineda JA, Harrison R, Dalton HJ, Alten J, Schleien CL, Goodman DM, Zimmerman JJ, Bhalala US, Schwarz AJ, Porter MB, Shah S, Fink EL, McQuillen P, Wu T, Skellett S, Thomas NJ, Nowak JE, Baines PB, Pappachan J, Mathur M, Lloyd E, van der Jagt EW, Dobyns EL, Meyer MT, Sanders RC, Clark AE, Dean JM N. Engl. J. Med. 2017 01 376 4 318-329
- Use of nesiritide in critically ill children with biventricular dysfunction suffering from oliguria despite standard heart-failure management.
- Das BB, Koch J, Dimas V, Guleserian K, Nugent A Cardiol Young 2015 Dec 1-5
- Feasibility Study Evaluating Therapeutic Hypothermia for Refractory Status Epilepticus in Children.
- Buttram SD, Au AK, Koch J, Lidsky K, McBain K, O'Brien N, Zielinski BA, Bell MJ Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag 2015 Dec 5 4 198-202
- The association of congenital heart disease with necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants: a birth cohort study.
- Motta C, Scott W, Mahony L, Koch J, Wyckoff M, Reisch J, Burchfield PJ, Brion LP J Perinatol 2015 Aug
- Therapeutic Hypothermia after Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children.
- Moler FW, Silverstein FS, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Nadkarni VM, Meert KL, Clark AE, Browning B, Pemberton VL, Page K, Shankaran S, Hutchison JS, Newth CJ, Bennett KS, Berger JT, Topjian A, Pineda JA, Koch JD, Schleien CL, Dalton HJ, Ofori-Amanfo G, Goodman DM, Fink EL, McQuillen P, Zimmerman JJ, Thomas NJ, van der Jagt EW, Porter MB, Meyer MT, Harrison R, Pham N, Schwarz AJ, Nowak JE, Alten J, Wheeler DS, Bhalala US, Lidsky K, Lloyd E, Mathur M, Shah S, Wu T, Theodorou AA, Sanders RC, Dean JM N. Engl. J. Med. 2015 Apr
- Tolvaptan Increases Serum Sodium in Pediatric Patients With Heart Failure.
- Regen RB, Gonzalez A, Zawodniak K, Leonard D, Quigley R, Barnes AP, Koch JD Pediatr Cardiol 2013 Mar
- Adrenocortical function in the postoperative pediatric cardiac surgical patient
- Green ML, Koch J Current Opinion in Pediatrics 2012 Jun 24 3 285-290
- Echocardiographic predictors of symptomatic patent ductus arteriosus in extremely-low-birth-weight preterm neonates.
- Ramos FG, Rosenfeld CR, Roy L, Koch J, Ramaciotti C J Perinatol 2010 Aug 30 8 535-9
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists
D Magazine (2015-2016)
- Southern Society Pediatric Research
Clinical Young Investigator Award (2005)
- Resident Award for Pediatric Research
- D. Cramer Reed Award
Excellence in Public Health (2001)
- Guthrie Excellence in Pediatrics Award
- Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society (2009)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2003-2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2001-2005)
- Mortar Board National Honor Society