Dr. Aguirre conducted his undergraduate studies at Texas A&M University where he earned a B.S. in Biomedical Sciences with a minor in Philosophy. He obtained a medical degree at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston and went on to finish his medical internship at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, Louisiana. He finished his residency in anesthesiology at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. With a keen interest in cardiac physiology, hemodynamics, and echocardiography he further pursued and obtained his fellowship in cardio-thoracic anesthesiology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. As an associate professor, Dr. Aguirre has been associate residency director and is currently chief of clinical operations for cardiovascular-thoracic anesthesiolgy at UT Southwestern, Clements University Hospital. He is also co-director for the perioperative transesophageal echocardiography program.
His academic interests include advanced non-invasive hemodynamic monitoring, three dimensional echocardiography, and web-based education in echocardiography. Some of his outside interest include spending time with his family and friends, running, winter sports, and traveling.
- Medical School
- University of Texas Medical School at Houston (1999)
- Internship (Residency)
- Tulane University School of Medicine (2000), Transitional Year
- The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (2003), Anesthesiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology
- Embolization of left ventricular apical thrombus during cardiac surgery.
- Taneja R, Aguirre MA, Shi C, Greilich PE Anesth. Analg. 2010 Jul 111 1 74-5
- The use of transesophageal echocardiography in determining the structural and functional impact of traumatic intracardiac foreign bodies.
- Aguirre MA, Trousdale D, John A, Greilich PE Anesth. Analg. 2008 Oct 107 4 1155-7
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologist
- Texas Society of Anesthesiologists