Dr. Ashish Patel has a strong clinical and research interest in pediatric inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). In addition to a pediatric gastroenterology fellowship, Dr. Patel completed a specialty fellowship (awarded and funded by the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America) in pediatric IBD with Dr. Marla Dubinsky (Cedars-Sinai Los Angeles). Dr. Patel founded and continues to develop the multidisciplinary clinic as the foundation for a center of excellence in pediatric IBD (The Southwestern Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center at Children's Medical Center Dallas). Currently, the outpatient clinic is supported by pediatric gastroenterologists, nurses, a registered dietitian and a child psychologist. The current patient coverage area extends from El Paso to Louisiana and Oklahoma to San Antonio. Consultation has been provided to physicians and families as far away as Alabama, Georgia, California and Rhode Island. The center's goal is to provide cutting edge clinical care with an emphasis on clinical research.
In addition to outpatient clinical care, Dr. Patel spends twelve to fourteen weeks per year on the inpatient ward or consult services. On the inpatient service, Dr. Patel covers 18 hospital beds for a two week block while providing mentorship to the fellow on service in addition to the senior resident, two to three pediatric interns, and two to three medical students. Formal teaching rounds are conducted daily for 2-3 hours in addition to informal teaching in the form of lectures, physical exams, history taking, and reviewing and critiquing of written history and physicals. On the consult service, phone calls are fielded from outside primary care physicians with a wide range of gastroenterology questions in addition to providing gastroenterology support to all other services requesting a formal consult including the pediatric and neonatal intensive care units.
Dr. Patel is actively involved in teaching on the nursing, medical student, resident, and fellow level. Specifically, he provides lectures focused on gastroenterology related topics during new nurse orientation, participates in the monthly teaching lectures for the medical students, provides lectures for the residents during the lunch conferences, in addition to serving as 'the expert' at Friday Morning Report. Dr. Patel works with the fellows individually in clinical education, in the form of rounds, direct education on core gastroenterology topics, teaching procedures, monthly journal club, and Monday morning report, an exercise that allows for the sharing of an interesting clinical challenge and providing a review of the current literature.
Dr. Patel has worked within the gastroenterology clinic, to develop Inflammatory Bowel Disease Competencies for the Clinical Nutrition Department at Children’s Medical Center Dallas.
Dr. Patel and Dr Lillienne Chan have collaborated with our adult IBD colleagues to create a seamless transitions program and joined to create a monthly multidisciplinary adult and pediatric IBD conference. With the help of Dr. Gabby Reed and our child life team, we have created an IBD support group for children that meets on a monthly basis. Dr. Patel currently leads a parent support group for families with children with IBD.
Dr. Patel is the GI division lead in electronic medical records as well as serving on hospital-wide committees like the Physician Advisory Committee, the Tissue and Transfusion Committee, the Ambulatory User Group. the Mobile Device working group, and the GI Operations working groups.
Dr. Patel participates in the recruitment of medical students for the UTSW medical school. He also participates in the recruitment of pediatric residents and pediatric gastroenterology fellows. Additionally, he also interviews locally for his alma mater, Emory University.
Dr. Patel is actively involved in community activities, specifically through the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America where he serves as vice-chair of the Medical Advisory Board as well as the medical director for Camp Oasis, a camp for children with IBD. He is also active in charitable organizations within the Indian community, serving on the planning committee for an annual pediatric health fair.
Dr. Patel has also founded the DFW Pediatric Gut Club, a forum that brings together all pediatric gastroenterologists in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex in a collegial academic environment.
- Medical School
- Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine (2000)
- Scott and White Memorial Hospital (2001), Pediatrics
- Scott and White Memorial Hospital (2003), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2006), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- At Risk Populations in Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Genetics in Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Quaity Improvement
- Symptom Profiles in Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Functional Abdominal Pain Compared to Healthy Controls.
- Varni JW, Shulman RJ, Self MM, Nurko S, Saps M, Saeed SA, Bendo CB, Patel AS, Dark CV, Zacur GM, Pohl JF J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2015 Mar
- PedsQL™ Gastrointestinal Symptoms Scales and Gastrointestinal Worry Scales in pediatric patients with functional and organic gastrointestinal diseases in comparison to healthy controls.
- Varni JW, Bendo CB, Denham J, Shulman RJ, Self MM, Neigut DA, Nurko S, Patel AS, Franciosi JP, Saps M, Yeckes A, Langseder A, Saeed S, Pohl JF Qual Life Res 2014 Aug
- Novel Helicobacter pylori Sequencing Test Identifies High Rate of Clarithromycin Resistance.
- Mitui M, Patel A, Leos NK, Doern CD, Park JY J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2014 Jul 59 1 6-9
- Effectiveness of Anti-TNFa for Crohn Disease: Research in a Pediatric Learning Health System.
- Forrest CB, Crandall WV, Bailey LC, Zhang P, Joffe MM, Colletti RB, Adler J, Baron HI, Berman J, Del Rosario F, Grossman AB, Hoffenberg EJ, Israel EJ, Kim SC, Lightdale JR, Margolis PA, Marsolo K, Mehta DI, Milov DE, Patel AS, Tung J, Kappelman MD Pediatrics 2014 Jun
- PedsQL™ Gastrointestinal Symptoms Module: Feasibility, Reliability, and Validity.
- Varni JW, Bendo CB, Denham J, Shulman RJ, Self MM, Neigut DA, Nurko S, Patel AS, Franciosi JP, Saps M, Verga B, Smith A, Yeckes A, Heinz N, Langseder A, Saeed S, Zacur GM, Pohl JF J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2014 May
- MR enterography to evaluate sub-clinical intestinal inflammation in children with spondyloarthritis.
- Stoll ML, Patel AS, Punaro M, Dempsey-Robertson M Pediatr Rheumatol Online J 2012 10 6
- Fecal calprotectin in children with the enthesitis-related arthritis subtype of juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
- Stoll ML, Punaro M, Patel AS J. Rheumatol. 2011 Oct 38 10 2274-5
- Prevalence and epidemiology of overweight and obesity in children with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Long MD, Crandall WV, Leibowitz IH, Duffy L, del Rosario F, Kim SC, Integlia MJ, Berman J, Grunow J, Colletti RB, Schoen BT, Patel AS, Baron H, Israel E, Russell G, Ali S, Herfarth HH, Martin C, Kappelman MD Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2011 Oct 17 10 2162-8
- Short pediatric Crohn's disease activity index for quality improvement and observational research.
- Kappelman MD, Crandall WV, Colletti RB, Goudie A, Leibowitz IH, Duffy L, Milov DE, Kim SC, Schoen BT, Patel AS, Grunow J, Larry E, Fairbrother G, Margolis P Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2011 Jan 17 1 112-7
- ImproveCareNow: The development of a pediatric inflammatory bowel disease improvement network.
- Crandall W, Kappelman MD, Colletti RB, Leibowitz I, Grunow JE, Ali S, Baron HI, Berman JH, Boyle B, Cohen S, del Rosario F, Denson LA, Duffy L, Integlia MJ, Kim SC, Milov D, Patel AS, Schoen BT, Walkiewicz D, Margolis P Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2011 Jan 17 1 450-7
Honors & Awards
- Top Gastroenterologist
International Association of Healthcare Professionals (IAHCP) (2012)
- Best Pediatric Specialists, D Moms, D Magazine Partners
- NASPGHAN Travel Award
- National Inflammatory Bowel Disease Fellowship Award
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (2006)
- Chief Resident, Pediatrics
Texas A&M HSC (2002-2003)
- Pediatric Resident of the Year
Texas A&M HSC (2001-2002)
- American Board of Pediatrics (2007)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2006)
- Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America (2006)
- North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterologist, Hepatologist and Nutrition (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Texas Medical Association