I was born in Fayetteville, NC and grew up outside of Philadelphia, PA. As an undergraduate at the University of North Carolina I worked in the laboratories of Paul Kropp and, at the National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences, Masahiko Negishi. I completed my graduate studies at Harvard University in 2001 under the direction of Eric Jacobsen, studying epoxide ring opening reactions. I then moved to Yale University for a postdoc with John Wood where I focused on total synthesis. I joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2003, and my research group currently focuses on natural products synthesis, medicinal chemistry and synthetic methodology.
Lab website - http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/labs/ready/
|Undergraduate||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1996), Chemistry|
|Graduate School||Harvard University (2001), Chemistry|
- Discovery and application of new chemical reactions; synthesis of biologically active small molecules
- P7C3 Neuroprotective Chemicals Function by Activating the Rate-Limiting Enzyme in NAD Salvage.
- Wang G, Han T, Nijhawan D, Theodoropoulos P, Naidoo J, Yadavalli S, Mirzaei H, Pieper AA, Ready JM, McKnight SL Cell 2014 Sep 158 6 1324-34
- The Ketene-Surrogate Coupling: Catalytic Conversion of Aryl Iodides into Aryl Ketenes through Ynol Ethers.
- Zhang W, Ready JM Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2014 Jun
- P7C3 and an unbiased approach to drug discovery for neurodegenerative diseases.
- Pieper AA, McKnight SL, Ready JM Chem Soc Rev 2014 Feb
- Dehydrogenative Coupling to Enable the Enantioselective Total Synthesis of (-)-Simaomicin a
- Wang Y, Wang C, Butler JR, Ready JM Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2013 Aug
- Chiral allene-containing phosphines in asymmetric catalysis.
- Cai F, Pu X, Qi X, Lynch V, Radha A, Ready JM J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011 Nov 133 45 18066-9
- Enantioselective total synthesis of (-)-kibdelone C.
- Butler JR, Wang C, Bian J, Ready JM J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011 Jul 133 26 9956-9
- Pharmacologic Rescue of Motor and Sensory Function by the Neuroprotective Compound P7C3 Following Neonatal Nerve Injury.
- Kemp SW, Szynkaruk M, Stanoulis KN, Wood MD, Liu EH, Willand MP, Morlock L, Naidoo J, Williams NS, Ready JM, Mangano TJ, Beggs S, Salter MW, Gordon T, Pieper AA, H Borschel G Neuroscience 2014 Oct
- P7C3 Neuroprotective Chemicals Block Axonal Degeneration and Preserve Function after Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Yin TC, Britt JK, De Jesús-Cortés H, Lu Y, Genova RM, Khan MZ, Voorhees JR, Shao J, Katzman AC, Huntington PJ, Wassink C, McDaniel L, Newell EA, Dutca LM, Naidoo J, Cui H, Bassuk AG, Harper MM, McKnight SL, Ready JM, Pieper AA Cell Rep 2014 Sep 8 6 1731-40
- The P7C3 class of neuroprotective compounds exerts antidepressant efficacy in mice by increasing hippocampal neurogenesis.
- Walker AK, Rivera PD, Wang Q, Chuang JC, Tran S, Osborne-Lawrence S, Estill SJ, Starwalt R, Huntington P, Morlock L, Naidoo J, Williams NS, Ready JM, Eisch AJ, Pieper AA, Zigman JM Mol. Psychiatry 2014 Apr
- Discovery of a Neuroprotective Chemical, (S)-N-(3-(3,6-Dibromo-9H-carbazol-9-yl)-2-fluoropropyl)-6-methoxypyridin-2-amine [(-)-P7C3-S243], with Improved Druglike Properties.
- Naidoo J, De Jesus-Cortes H, Huntington P, Estill S, Morlock LK, Starwalt R, Mangano TJ, Williams NS, Pieper AA, Ready JM J. Med. Chem. 2014 Apr
Honors & Awards
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellow
- Amgen Young Investigator Award
- NSF CAREER Award
- Southwestern Medical Center Scholar in Biomedical Research
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship