Dr. Phelan attended medical school at the University of Texas-Houston Health Sciences Center, and graduated AOA in June, 1997. He then undertook a residency in general surgery at LSU-New Orleans Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, Louisiana based out of Charity Hospital. During that time he spent a year as a research fellow in the department of physiology investigating the immunologic effects of acute alcohol intoxication and hemorrhagic shock. He was selected to be administrative chief resident during his final year of training. At the completion of his residency in June, 2003 he was accepted into the Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He joined the faculty at UT-Southwestern in 2007 as a staff trauma surgeon, and in 2009 was accepted into the NIH’s Clinical Scholars Program.
- Medical School
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (1997)
- LSU HSC - New Orleans (2003), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2004), Surgical Critical Care
- Leukoreduction of blood products
- Pancreatic injuries
- Thoracic damage control surgery
- Transfusion practices after trauma
- Venousthromboembolism prophylaxis after head injury
- A randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled pilot trial of anticoagulation in low-risk TBI: The Delayed vs Early Enoxaparin Prophylaxis I (DEEP I) study.
- Phelan HA, Wolf SA, Norwood SH, Aldy K, Brakenridge SC, Eastman AL, Madden CJ, Nakonezny PA, Yang L, Chason DP, Arbique G, Berne J, Minei JP Journal of Trauma 2012 XX 485-9
- Pharmacologic venous thromboembolism prophylaxis after TBI: A critical literature review.
- Phelan HA Journal of Neurotrauma 2012 29 320-3
- TBI risk stratification at presentation: A prospective study of the incidence and timing of radiographic worsening in the Parkland Protocol
- Phelan HA, Eastman AL, Madden C, Aldy K, Berne J, Norwood SH, Scott WC, Bernstein I, Pruitt J, Butler G, Rogers L, Minei JP. Journal of Trauma 2012 XX press,
- A prospective evaluation of the use of routine repeat cranial CT scans in patients with intracranial hemorrhage and GCS Score of 13-15.
- Abdelfattah KR, Eastman AE, Aldy K, Wolf SE, Minei JP, Scott WW, Madden C, Rickert KL, Phelan HA. Journal of Trauma 2012 XX press,
- Prestorage leukoreduction abrogates the detrimental effect of aging on packed red cells transfused after trauma: a prospective cohort study.
- Phelan HA, Eastman A, Aldy K, Carroll E, Nakonezny P, Jan T, Howard J, Chen Y, Friese RS, Minei JP. American Journal of Surgery 2012 203 330-7
- The Prospective, Observational, Multicenter, Major Trauma Transfusion (PROMMTT) Study: Comparative Effectiveness of a Time-varying Treatment with Competing Risks.
- Holcomb JB, del Junco DJ, Fox E, Wade CE, Cohen MJ, Schreiber MA, Alarcon L, Bai Y, Brasel KJ, Bulger EM, Cotton BA, Matjevic N, Muskat P, Myers J, Phelan H, White CE, Zhang J, Rahbar MH, for the PROMMTT Study Group. Archives of Surgery 2012 in press 976-90
- Outcomes and long term follow up after emergent cricothyroidotomy: Is routine conversion to tracheostomy necessary?
- Graham D, Eastman AE, Aldy K, Carroll EA, Minei JP, Brakenridge SC, Phelan HA. Journal of Trauma 2011 77 933-41
- Does temporary chest wall closure with or without chest packing improve survival for trauma patients in shock after emergent thoracotomy?
- Lang J, Eastman AE, Aldy K, Gonzalez RP, White CQ, Carroll E, Funk G, Phelan HA Journal of Trauma 2011 70 641-7
- Leukoreduction of packed red cells prior to transfusion does not affect survival in transfused trauma patients
- Phelan HA, Sperry J, Friese R Journal of Surgical Research 2007 138 1 32-6
Honors & Awards
- Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Surgery, UT-Southwestern Medical Center (2010)
- Pilot Grant Award - $65,605
North and Central Texas Clinical and Translational Science Initiative (NCTCTSI) (2009)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Surgery, University of South Alabama Medical Center (2007)
- Outstanding Surgery Resident Award
American College of Surgeons- Louisiana Chapter (2002)
UT-Houston Health Sciences Center Chapter (1996)
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- American College of Surgeons- Fellow
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Parkland Surgical Society
- Shock Society