Dr. Phelan attended medical school at the University of Texas-Houston Health Sciences Center, and graduated AOA in June, 1997. He then undertook a residency in general surgery at LSU-New Orleans Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, Louisiana based out of Charity Hospital. During that time he spent a year as a research fellow in the department of physiology investigating the immunologic effects of acute alcohol intoxication and hemorrhagic shock. He was selected to be administrative chief resident during his final year of training. At the completion of his residency in June, 2003 he was accepted into the Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He joined the faculty in BUrns/Trauma/Critical Care at UT-Southwestern in 2007, and in 2012 graduated with a Master of Science in Clinical Sciences through the UT Southwestern Clinical-Translational Science Award funded by the NIH’s Clinical Scholars Program. His primary research interest is the intersection of geriatric burns/trauma and palliative care.
- Medical School
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (1997)
- Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center - New Orleans (2003), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Surgical Critical Care
- Geriatric injury
- laser resurfacing for hypertrophic burn scar
- palliative care after injury
- Transfusion practices after injury
- Venousthromboembolism prophylaxis after head injury
- Assessing Upper-Extremity Motion: An Innovative, Objective Method to Identify Frailty in Older Bed-Bound Trauma Patients.
- Toosizadeh N, Joseph B, Heusser MR, Orouji Jokar T, Mohler J, Phelan HA, Najafi B J. Am. Coll. Surg. 2016 Apr
- Creation of a decision aid for goal-setting after geriatric burns: A study from the prognostic assessment of life and limitations after trauma in the elderly [PALLIATE] consortium.
- Hodgman E, Joseph B, Mohler J, Wolf SE, Paulk ME, Rhodes RL, Nakonezny PA, Phelan HA J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2016 Feb
- Uncertain Patency of Covered Stents Placed for Traumatic Axillosubclavian Artery Injury.
- Chopra A, Modrall JG, Knowles M, Phelan HA, Valentine RJ, Chung J J. Am. Coll. Surg. 2016 Feb
- Epidemiology and outcomes of pediatric burns over 35 years at Parkland Hospital.
- Saeman MR, Hodgman EI, Burris A, Wolf SE, Arnoldo BD, Kowalske KJ, Phelan HA Burns 2015 Nov
- Multicenter External Validation of the Geriatric Trauma Outcome Score: A Study by the Prognostic Assessment of Life and Limitations After Trauma in the Elderly [PALLIATE] Consortium.
- Cook AC, Joseph B, Inaba K, Nakonezny PA, Bruns BR, Kerby JD, Brasel KJ, Wolf SE, Cuschieri J, Paulk ME, Rhodes RL, Brakenridge SC, Phelan HA J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2015 Nov
- An analysis of omitting biliary tract imaging in 668 subjects admitted to an acute care surgery service with biochemical evidence of choledocholithiasis.
- Riggle AJ, Cripps MW, Liu L, Subramanian M, Nakonezny PA, Wolf SE, Phelan HA Am. J. Surg. 2015 Sep
- Establishing benchmarks for the management of elevated liver enzymes and/or dilated biliary trees in an urban safety net hospital: analysis of 915 subjects.
- Liu L, Cripps MW, Riggle AJ, Wolf SE, Nakonezny PA, Phelan HA Am. J. Surg. 2015 Sep
- Estimating Geriatric Mortality after Injury Using Age, Injury Severity, and Performance of a Transfusion: The Geriatric Trauma Outcome Score.
- Zhao FZ, Wolf SE, Nakonezny PA, Minhajuddin A, Rhodes RL, Paulk ME, Phelan HA J Palliat Med 2015 May
- Taking the Blood Bank to the Field: The Design and Rationale of the Prehospital Air Medical Plasma (PAMPer) Trial.
- Brown JB, Guyette FX, Neal MD, Claridge JA, Daley BJ, Harbrecht BG, Miller RS, Phelan HA, Adams PW, Early BJ, Peitzman AB, Billiar TR, Sperry JL Prehosp Emerg Care 2015 Feb
- Clinical gestalt and the prediction of massive transfusion after trauma.
- Pommerening MJ, Goodman MD, Holcomb JB, Wade CE, Fox EE, Del Junco DJ, Brasel KJ, Bulger EM, Cohen MJ, Alarcon LH, Schreiber MA, Myers JG, Phelan HA, Muskat P, Rahbar M, Cotton BA Injury 2015 Feb
Honors & Awards
- Best Surgical Paper, Multicenter Validation of a Prognosis Calculator
Annual meeting of the American Geriatric Society (2016)
- Selection as lead paper, "Multicenter validation of the Geriatric Trauma Outcome Score"
Annual meeting of the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (2015)
- Outstanding achievement in student teaching
Department of Surgery, UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014)
- Core clerkship teaching award
Department of Surgery, UT Southwestern Medical Center (2012)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Surgery, UT-Southwestern Medical Center (2010)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Surgery, University of South Alabama Medical Center (2007)
- Outstanding Surgery Resident Award
American College of Surgeons- Louisiana Chapter (2002)
UT-Houston Health Sciences Center Chapter (1996)
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (2015)
- American Geriatrics Society (2015)
- American Burn Association (2014)
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (2007)
- American College of Surgeons- Fellow (2005)
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (2005)
- Parkland Surgical Society (2004)