|Undergraduate||Peking University - China (1992)|
|Graduate School||Yale University (1997)|
- Ion channels and membrane transporters: The research of our laboratory has been focusing on the structural and functional studies of ion channels and transporters which control the flow of ions across the cell membrane. These proteins regulate many biological processes such as the excitation of nerve and muscle cells, the secretion of hormones, and sensory transduction.
- Ion selectivity of tetrameric cation Channels: To understand the structural basis of ion selectivity in tetrameric cation channels, we have been using the NaK channel as the model system to elucidate the basic principles of ion selectivity in CNG channels and K+ channels.
- Ion transporters: The study on ion transporters in the lab has been focused on Na+/Ca2+ exchangers (NCX) which are crucial membrane transporters in maintaining the homeostasis of cytosolic Ca2+ for cell signaling. With the determination of a high-resolution structure of an NCX protein from Methanococcus jannaschii (NCX_Mj), we now have a working model system to elucidate the structural basis and mechanistic details of ion exchange in NCX proteins.
- Ligand gating of cation channels: To study channel gating, the lab focuses on a group of ligand gated K+ channels that are regulated by a conserved ligand binding domain, the RCK domain. This group includes the majority of prokaryotic K+ channels and the eukaryotic high-conductance Ca2+-gated K+ channels (BK or maxiK).
- Our research approach is a combination of membrane protein X-ray crystallography, aimed at determining the three dimensional structure of the ion transporting proteins, and channel electrophysiology, to study the physiological functions of these proteins.
Sauer DB, Zeng W, Canty J, Lam Y, Jiang Y Nat Commun 2013 4 2721
Liao J, Li H, Zeng W, Sauer DB, Belmares R, Jiang Y Science 2012 Feb 335 6069 686-90
Kong C, Zeng W, Ye S, Chen L, Sauer DB, Lam Y, Derebe MG, Jiang Y Elife 2012 1 e00184
Derebe MG, Sauer DB, Zeng W, Alam A, Shi N, Jiang Y Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011 Jan 108 2 598-602
Derebe MG, Zeng W, Li Y, Alam A, Jiang Y Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011 Jan 108 2 592-7
Wu Y, Yang Y, Ye S, Jiang Y Nature 2010 Jul 466 7304 393-7
Alam A, Jiang Y Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2009 Jan 16 1 30-4
Ye S, Li Y, Chen L, Jiang Y Cell 2006 Sep 126 6 1161-73
Shi N, Ye S, Alam A, Chen L, Jiang Y Nature 2006 Mar 440 7083 570-4
John SA, Liao J, Jiang Y, Ottolia M Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2013 Apr
Honors & Awards
- Edith and Peter ODonnell Awards
The Academy of Medicine, Engineering, and Science of Texas (TAMEST) (2013)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- McKnight Scholar Award
The McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience (2006)
- David and Lucile Packard Fellowship
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (2004)
- Searle Scholars Award
The Searle Scholars Program (2004)
- Endowed Scholar
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2003)