My research has focused on the control of different aspects of the meiotic cell cycle and control of meiosis in general. We have primarily used mouse spermatogenesis as a model; however, different lines of research have been done using yeast and Drosophila meiosis models. Currently, my interests are in graduate education and training and scientific outreach to undergrads, high school students, and high school teachers.
At the graduate level, I am involved in promoting scientific excellence and integrity, graduate student recruitment, and student affairs. In the undergraduate realm, my goals are to increase awareness of science as a career opportunity and help prepare undergrads for their graduate school careers.
Concerning pre-college outreach, I am interesting in increasing the science awareness and aptitude of middle- and high-school students, providing mentoring and research opportunities for those students, and providing resources to teachers to reach these goals.
|Undergraduate||University of Washington (1985)|
|Graduate School||University of Washington (1991)|
- Control of meiosis: initiation and cell division.
- Development of germ cells in the male and female.
- Early embryonic development and gonadogenesis
- Regulation of Meiosis during Mammalian Spermatogenesis: The A-type Cyclins and Their Associated Cyclin-Dependent Kinases Are Differentially Expressed in the Germ Cell Lineage
- Ravnik, S.E. and Wolgemuth D.J. Developmental Biology 1999 207 408-418
- Regulation of Meiosis in Male Germ Cells of the Mouse by Cdk2_, a Cdk2 Splice Variant
- Simons, D.M., Kersten, C.A., and Ravnik, S.E Reproductive Biology 2007 Under review
- How to Recruit Doctoral Science Students
- Porties, T, Lawler, J, Cole, M, and Ravnik, S.E. NAGAP Perspectives Summer 2006 18 32-34
- Distinct Roles for the Mammalian A-type Cyclins during Oogenesis
- Liao Persson, J., Zhang, Q., Wang, X.Y., Ravnik, S.E., Muhlrad, S, and Wolgemuth, D.J. Reproduction Summer 2005 130 411-422
- Graduate School: Tricks, Tips, and Secrets
- Collins, S.N. and Ravnik, S.E. In Chemistry November 2004 Nov/Dec 18-20
- Cyclin A1 mRNA in Testicular Tissue of Fertile and Infertile Patients - A Potential New Molecular Diagnostic Marker
- Schrader, M., M|ller-Tidow, C., Ravnik, S.,M|ller, M., Wolfgang, S., Dietrichs, S., Straub, B., Serve, H., and Miller, K. Human Reproduction 2002 17 2338-2343
Honors & Awards
- Young Andrologist Award
Outstanding Young Scientist in the field of Andrology (1999)
- AAMC GREAT Group
- American Society of Andrology
- Texas P-16 Council