Dr. Clayton Trimmer received his Bachelor of Science degree from Stephen F. Austin State University and his Masters Degree in Healthcare Management from the University of Texas at Dallas. He attended medical school at the University of North Texas Health Science Center-Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine in Fort Worth. He then completed a traditional rotating internship at Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital in Michigan before going on to his residency in Diagnostic Radiology at Michigan State University. He subsequently completed an Interventional Radiology fellowship at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School.
Following a six year sojourn in private practice, Dr. Trimmer performed a second year Interventional Radiology Fellowship at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD. In September of 2002 he was recruited to join the Radiology faculty at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in the section of Interventional Radiology.
He currently is an Associate Professor and sees patients at Parkland Memorial Hospital, Zale Lipshy University Hospital, and William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital.
His clinical and research interests include oncologic loco-regional therapy of various tumors to include chemoembolization and radioembolization, durable outcomes of Radiofrequency ablation, dialysis intervention with an emphasis in prolonging access circuit patency by using angioplasty, stents and stent-grafts, IVC filter placement and retrieval protocols, uterine fibroid embolization, varicocele embolization, pelvic congestion syndrome, venous interventions, and vertebral augmentation techniques. He participates in the Parkland Hepatocellular Carcinoma clinic and sees patients for consultation of all procedures.
|Medical School||UNT HSC College of Osteopathic Medicine (1989)|
|Internship||Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital (1990), Rotating|
|Residency||Michigan State University (1994), Diagnostic Radiology|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1995), Vascular & Interventional Radiology|
|Fellowship||Johns Hopkins Hospital (2002), Vascular & Interventional Radiology|
Dialysis Access Management
- Dialysis Catheter Access for Hemodialysis
- Dialysis Fistual or Graft Declot
- Dialysis Fistulogram/Graftogram
- Adrenal Vein Sampling
- Parathyroid Vein Sampling
- Venous Sampling
Endovascular Therapy - Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- May Turner Syndrome (Illiofemoral Deep Vein Thrombosis)
- Paget Schrotter Syndrome (Upper Extermity Deep Vein Thrombosis)
- Venous Thrombolysis
Endovascular Therapy - Embolization/Exclusions
- Angiomyolipoma of Kidney
- Hereditary Hemmorrhagic Telangiectasia (HHT)
- Mesenteric Artery Aneurysm
- Mesenteric Ischemia
- Pelvic Congestion Syndrome
- Pulmonary Arteriovenous Malformation
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Pulmonary Thrombolysis
- Renal Artery Aneurysm
- Splenic Artery Aneurysm
- Superior Vena Cava Syndrome
- Uterine Fibroids/Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE)
Endovascular Therapy - Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Inferior Vena Cava (IVC) Filter Placement or Removal/Retrieval
- Nephroureteric Stent Placement
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD)
- Peripheral Vascular Interventions
Interventional Therapy for Portal Hypertension
- Portal Hypertension (Variceal Bleeding, Refractory Ascities)
- Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS)
- Microwave Ablation (MVA)
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) Treatment Hepatocellular Carcinoma or Hepatoma
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)Treatment for Renal Cancer
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Liver Metastases & Cholangiocarcinoma
- Y90 Radioembolization
- Chemoembolization (TACE)
- Predictors of response to renal artery stenting, Mortality decrease with Inferior Vena Cava Filters, Durable outcomes of Radiofrequency ablations,Prolonging the life of a dialysis access circuit,Resource sparing strategies and risk-stratification, Limiting patient and operator exposure to Ionizing Radiation,Developing and Optimizing Novel approaches to managing disease processes with Image Guidance, Refining CTA Protocols and developing robust non-contrast MRA sequences for imaging vascular dz.
- Aortoiliac vascular injuries after misplacement of fixation screws.
- Lopera JE, Restrepo CS, Gonzales A, Trimmer CK, Arko F J Trauma 2010 Oct 69 4 870-5
- Durable oncologic outcomes after radiofrequency ablation: experience from treating 243 small renal masses over 7.5 years.
- Tracy CR, Raman JD, Donnally C, Trimmer CK, Cadeddu JA Cancer 2010 Jul 116 13 3135-42
- What we still do not know about adrenal vein sampling for primary aldosteronism.
- Auchus RJ, Wians FH, Anderson ME, Dolmatch BL, Trimmer CK, Josephs SC, Chan D, Toomay S, Nwariaku FE Horm. Metab. Res. 2010 Jun 42 6 411-5
- Stent Graft versus balloon Angioplasty for Failing Dialysis-Access Grafts
- Haskal AJ, Trerotola S, Dolmatch B, Schuman E, Altman S, Mietling S, Berman S, McLennan G, Trimmer C, Ross J, Vesely T NEJM 2010 362 6 494-503
- MDCT angiography of mesenteric bypass surgery for the treatment of chronic mesenteric ischemia.
- Lopera JE, Trimmer CK, Lamba R, Suri R, Cura MA, El-Merhi FM, Kroma G AJR Am J Roentgenol 2009 Nov 193 5 1439-45
- Volume associated dynamic geometry and spatial orientation of the inferior vena cava.
- Murphy EH, Arko FR, Trimmer CK, Phangureh VS, Fogarty TJ, Zarins CK J. Vasc. Surg. 2009 Oct 50 4 835-42; discussion 842-3
- Rapid cortisol assays improve the success rate of adrenal vein sampling for primary aldosteronism.
- Auchus RJ, Michaelis C, Wians FH, Dolmatch BL, Josephs SC, Trimmer CK, Anderson ME, Nwariaku FE Ann. Surg. 2009 Feb 249 2 318-21
- Neoaortoiliac reconstructions using femoropopliteal veins: MDCT angiography findings.
- Lopera JE, Trimmer CK, Josephs S, Dolmatch B, Valentine RJ, Clagett GP AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008 Aug 191 2 569-77
- Multidetector CT angiography of infrainguinal arterial bypass.
- Lopera JE, Trimmer CK, Josephs SG, Anderson ME, Schuber S, Li R, Dolmatch B, Toursarkissian B Radiographics 2008 Mar-Apr 28 2 529-48; discussion 549
- Measurement of 18-hydroxycorticosterone during adrenal vein sampling for primary aldosteronism.
- Auchus RJ, Chandler DW, Singeetham S, Chokshi N, Nwariaku FE, Dolmatch BL, Holt SA, Wians FH, Josephs SC, Trimmer CK, Lopera J, Vongpatanasin W, Nesbitt SD, Leonard D, Victor RG J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2007 Jul 92 7 2648-51
Honors & Awards
Manuscript reviewer for the Journal Radiology (2011)
- Texas Radiiologic Society
Vice Chief Councilor (2011)
Journal Reviewer of Peer reviewed manuscripts (2009)
- Journal of Vascular Interventional Radiology
Journal Reviewer of Peer reviewed manuscripts (2007)
- Academic Transition Award
SIR Foundation award to young clinicians returning to academics from private practice (2003)
- Society of Interventional Radiology (1994-2011)
- American College of Radiology
- American Osteopathic Association
- American Osteopathic College of Radiology
- Radiological Society of North America