Dr. Kumar is originally from India and received her initial medical training at M.S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore University, India. Drawn by the immense research opportunities at UT Southwestern Medical Center, she pursued her doctoral and post-doctoral studies here in the field of B-cell immunology and genetics in systemic lupus erythematosus that led to many significant peer-reviewed publications and research awards. She then went on the complete anatomic pathology residency and hematopathology fellowship at Parkland Memorial Hospital/ UT Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Kumar brings to UTSW a strong and unique background in basic sciences immunology, human and murine genetics, clinical surgical pathology and clinical hematopathology. She currently specializes in the clinical diagnosis of benign and malignant heme-related disorders. Her interests outside of medicine include spending time with family, running, cooking and reading.
- Unlisted - International Colle (2001), Medicine
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2006)
- Molecular biomarkers in hematolymphoid malignancies.
- Role of bystander cells in leukemia and lymphoma pathogenesis
- Signaling aberrancies in leukemias and lymphomas
- Regulation of B cell tolerance by the lupus susceptibility gene Ly108.
- Kumar KR, Li L, Yan M, Bhaskarabhatla M, Mobley AB, Nguyen C, Mooney JM, Schatzle JD, Wakeland EK, Mohan C Science 2006 Jun 312 5780 1665-9
- Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase Regulates Peripheral B Cell Receptor Revision, Polyreactivity, and B1 Cells in Lupus.
- Pathak S, Kumar KR, Kanta H, Carr-Johnson F, Han J, Bashmakov A, Faure L, Ding H, Vanarsa K, Khan S, Li QZ, Chapman K, Wakeland EK, Mohan C J. Immunol. 2016 Jan
- Myeloid and Lymphoid Neoplasm With Abnormalities of FGFR1 Presenting With Trilineage Blasts and RUNX1 Rearrangement: A Case Report and Review of Literature.
- Kumar KR, Chen W, Koduru PR, Luu HS Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 2015 May 143 5 738-48
- Novel r(2)(p25q31) Cytogenetic Abnormality in a Pediatric Patient With Acute Leukemia of Ambiguous Lineage.
- Kim J, Bu L, Koduru PR, Wilson KS, Fuda FS, Kumar KR, Timmons CF, Slone TL, Luu HS Pediatr. Dev. Pathol. 2014 Dec
- Site-specific analysis of inflammatory markers in discoid lupus erythematosus skin.
- Thorpe RB, Gray A, Kumar KR, Susa JS, Chong BF ScientificWorldJournal 2014 2014 925805
- Helicobacter gastritis induces changes in the oxyntic mucosa indistinguishable from the effects of proton pump inhibitors.
- Kumar KR, Iqbal R, Coss E, Park C, Cryer B, Genta RM Hum. Pathol. 2013 Dec 44 12 2706-10
- Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)-associated cytogenetic abnormalities in pediatric chronic myelogenous leukemia.
- Kumar KR, Koduru P, Timmons C, Monaghan S, Cavalier M, Luu HS Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013 Nov 60 11 E146-8
- Lupus-prone strains vary in susceptibility to antibody-mediated end organ disease.
- Xie C, Du Y, Kumar K, Li L, Han J, Liu K, Zhou XJ, Mohan C Genes Immun. 2013 Feb
- Understanding B-cell tolerance through the use of immunoglobulin transgenic models.
- Kumar KR, Mohan C Immunol. Res. 2008 40 3 208-23
- Shared signaling networks active in B cells isolated from genetically distinct mouse models of lupus.
- Wu T, Qin X, Kurepa Z, Kumar KR, Liu K, Kanta H, Zhou XJ, Satterthwaite AB, Davis LS, Mohan C J. Clin. Invest. 2007 Aug 117 8 2186-96
Honors & Awards
- Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Travel award for Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies (FOCIS) Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Elliot Goldings Award for superior performance as a graduate student in the Program of Immunology.
- The Arthritis Foundation Post-doctoral fellowship award
- NIH travel award for the Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies (FOCIS) Annual Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Texas Society of Pathologists (2012)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (2011)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2010)
- College of American Pathologists (2010)